Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Anderson Silva vs Stephan Bonnar to headline UFC 153

Wow, is all I have to say about that one.

Quote:
With his career winding down, Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Stephan Bonnar (14-7 MMA, 8-6 UFC) has been begging for a big fight. Now he's got it.

USA TODAY Sports has confirmed with company officials that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (32-4, 15-0) is moving up to 205 pounds to meet Bonnar in the main event of UFC 153 event, which takes place Oct. 13 at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena.

Additionally, Brazilian slugger Glover Teixeira (18-2, 1-0) meets fellow countryman Fabio Maldonado (18-5, 1-2) in the evening's co-main event. And in a bout first reported by Brazilian outlet Tatame, former interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (33-7-1, 4-3) faces Dave Herman (21-4, 1-2).

The new additions to the card were necessitated when original headliner, featherweight champ Jose Aldo, and original co-main-event fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson on Tuesday were forced to withdraw with injuries. Aldo's opponent, former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, now will be rescheduled for a later date, while Teixeira, who was expected to face Jackson, now draws Maldonado.

"UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar" now features a six-fight main card that airs on pay-per-view. Preliminary-card bouts are expected to air on FX and stream on Facebook.

"We're back on track," UFC President Dana White told MMAjunkie.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]). "Anderson Silva wasn't scheduled to fight at all. I called him today, and he's shooting a commercial in Brazil. Anderson Silva steps up, and Stephan Bonnar wants to fight him. The Teixeira vs. Maldonado fight comes together, and then Nogueira was standing right there with Anderson shooting the commercial with him, and he said he wanted to fight, too.

"This is old-school UFC. A card is in jeopardy, but guys that are world champions and superstars stepped up and jumped in and saved the card. This is why the fans love this sport and why we went on a 12-year run without canceling an event."

That streak recently ended, of course, when UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones declined a late-notice fight with two-time middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen at UFC 151, and the promotion ultimately elected to scrap the entire event.

Bonnar's place in UFC history is secure as one-half of an epic 2005 fight with Forrest Griffin in the live finale of the first season of "The Ultimate Fighter." That bout is widely considered the starting point for the sport's current popularity growth. Bonnar later tangled with future champions Rashad Evans and Jones, among others, during a disappointing 2-5 stretch. However, he's since put together a three-fight win streak and has openly lobbied for fights with some of the sport's biggest names.

He certainly found that in Silva, who is widely considered the top pound-for-pound fighter in the sport. The Brazilian phenom is undefeated since 2006 and has won an incredible 15 straight fights in the UFC. The 185-pound kingpin has fought twice before in the UFC's light heavyweight division, earning first-round knockout wins of former 205-pound champ Griffin and James Irvin.

Maldonado had been expected to fight Jorgen Kruth at this month's UFC on FX 5 event. However, Kruth abruptly retired, and Maldonado was expected to shift to UFC 154, where he would meet Cyrille Diabate. But UFC officials had yet to announce the new fight, and Maldonado openly campaigned for the bout with Teixeira.

Meanwhile, Teixeira made his UFC debut in May with an impressive first-round submission win over Kyle Kingsbury. The result marked Teixeira's 16th straight win. His most recent loss came in March 2005.

Nogueira fights for the first time since suffering a broken arm in a December 2011 loss to Frank Mir. Nogueira was expected to fight Cheick Kongo at this past July's UFC 149, but "Bog Nog" ultimately decided his arm wasn't ready for action. He now meets Herman, who looks to snap a two-fight losing streak after dropping back-to-back outings against Roy Nelson and Stefan Struve.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800
Default Re: Anderson Silva vs Stephan Bonnar to headline UFC 153

If this is true MMA is in its last gasp.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Bonnar is tough as nails and has never been finished by strikes. He is also one of the biggest guys at 205. He would be wise to take Anderson down and use his size and ground skills in this one. There is a small chance that he could control his way to victory. Unlikely, but the chance is there.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Bonnar is tough as nails and has never been finished by strikes. He is also one of the biggest guys at 205. He would be wise to take Anderson down and use his size and ground skills in this one. There is a small chance that he could control his way to victory. Unlikely, but the chance is there.
There is no chance. None.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Aww yeah six-fight main card where you at Jon Jones??
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

Yep, its Jon Jones and Gregg Jackson killing the UFC. Not Dana being a greedy bitch and not learning 30 PPVs a year isn't working for the quality aspect of the business.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Terrible main fight. Ko1 mismatch
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

Shit fight. Silva fighting another can, ufc is dead.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

What a terrible main event. They should have taken Shogun off the Fox Card, had him fight Silva at UFC 153, and simultaneously replace Shogun with Machida in the Gustafsson fight on the Fox card.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
will4009
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

i dont think many would have predicted that one, and for good reason. not good.
will4009 is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

War Bonnar! (If only for the fact that it would be the single greatest upset in MMA history. Maybe in combat sports history. )

And Bonnar will certainly be game. He'll come to fight, and he's a tough bastard. Jon Jones beat all kinds of shit out of him, gassed himself out and it was Bonnar who was gaining the initiative at the end of three rounds.

But honestly, WTF?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Garbage.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Bonnar will probably get his shit wrecked. But, as was pointed out above, he's a massive guy, he is tougher than hell and will fight till he's in a stretcher.

People want interesting/exciting fights, and hopefully (as meaningless as it is) this will deliver.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Man, that's depressing. I like Silva and all but not thrilled at all for this. Hopefully a big fight happens to help ease the pain we as fans feel(mainly the fighters who are game but their opponents aren't).

Still will watch and some expected disappointments have become entertaining fights before.
techks is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin are both well known for going toe to toe with each other. Griffin went on to win more money, fame, and a title. Yet, the suggestion of Silva and Bonnar had no where near the same response from me when I heard of the proposed fight.

These are some of my comments before Silva vs Griffin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I will be surprised if this fight makes it out of the 2nd round. It is a total mismatch. Silva is going to bludgeon Griffin. Bill Oreilly will watch this fight and jack off; hoping it is the end of MMA.

I often like the better technician to win, and that is a constant theme with this fight. I also love for people to make things interesting. I hope Griffin finds a way to use his size, take Silva down, and make this competitive. I'm just leaning towards a different outcome that is not competitive.
Quote:
Precision is the term I hope you all remember. Silve is going to slaughter Griffin, and precise striking will be the cause.
Quote:
Not only is there little chance for Griffin to defeat Silva, there is little chance that it will even be competitive in my mind. Griffin will persue hard enough, and Griffin is slow enough, to have slaughter written all over this one. I believe this will be an ugly fight that maybe shouldn't even have been made. I don't know what Forrest did to deserve this.
Quote:
The only reason that I'm purchasing this event is because Penn vs Florian is on it. I'm interested in any fight featuring Silva, but I am feeling no intrigue. This just seems to be a slaughter waiting to happen. Silva's striking precision and speed is just too much for Forrest to overcome. Forrest can hope to somehow take this to the ground and lose uneventfully at best. There is still a big threat that Griffin is spectacularly stopped there. I will be extremely, and pleasantly, surprised if this fight is in any way competitive.

I'd rather see W. Silva face Griffin.
I posted all these quotes because I immediately felt them when Silva and Griffin were first suggested. I think I was accurate in my position.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum