Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar (UFC 153)

Quote:
Despite a pair of disappointing losses to current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson, former titleholder Frankie Edgar (14-3-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) will now get his shot at history.

USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) have learned that an undisclosed injury has forced Erik Koch (13-1, 2-0) to withdraw from a planned UFC 153 title fight with current featherweight champion Jose Aldo (21-1, 3-0), and Edgar has agreed to step into the evening's main event.

Edgar now looks to join UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture and Hawaiian superstar B.J. Penn as the only men to hold UFC championships in two different weight classes.

Now dubbed "UFC 153: Aldo vs. Edgar," the event takes place Oct. 13 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The evening's five-fight main card airs on pay-per-view.

On the heels of this weekend's canceled UFC 151 event, UFC President Dana White admitted he was disappointed to learn of Koch's injury. However, one call to Edgar quickly resulted in a turn for the better.

"Obviously, we've had a rough couple of weeks here at the UFC, and then sure enough, I walk in to work today, and Erik Koch is hurt," White said. "But Frankie Edgar, being the stud and the warrior that he is, steps up and accepts this fight."

The 5-foot-6 Edgar has long been questioned about a potential move to 145 pounds, but with a pair of wins over Penn and two now-legendary bouts with massive lightweight Gray Maynard, "The Answer" ruled the promotion's lightweight division for nearly two years. However, after Edgar's pair of razor-thin losses to Henderson, White urged the New Jersey native to consider a move to the featherweight division.

Now that Edgar is making the move, White said he can't wait to see this new championship matchup.

"I'm pumped," White said. "I think that people are going to be very excited for this fight.

"Frankie has had a tough go the last couple of times with the judges, but a lot of people think he belongs at 145 pounds. Well, here we go Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar. People have been wanting to see this fight for a long time."

Meanwhile, Aldo enters UFC 153 with a 14-fight win streak. Since ruling World Extreme Cagefighting's 145-pound division and moving over to the fellow Zuffa-owned UFC as the promotion's first-ever featherweight champion, the Brazilian phenom has scored successful title defenses over Chad Mendes, Kenny Florian and Mark Hominick. Overall, Aldo is a remarkable 11-0 under the Zuffa banner.

A timetable for Koch's return wasn't immediately established.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Well, at least it's more interesting than the Koch fight.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
dranon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2185
Default Re: Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar (UFC 153)

Could be wrong but i think edgar is gonna take a beating in this one. Frankie better hope he can hit the takedown cause this is one fight that he isn't going to be the faster of the two standing.
dranon is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
PivotPunch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Very very bad matchup for Edgar. Edgar has to get this fight to the ground he has to survive the early rounds without eating to many leg kicks and hope that Aldo gasses
PivotPunch is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
caleb_forrest_g
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

R.i.p frankie edgar
caleb_forrest_g is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

This is a superfight IMO. So excited about this. I'm going against the grain and backing Edgar to win, though I prefer Aldo and would like him to win. I think 155 is so much stronger than 145. Both men have had their struggles, but Edgar has struggled with big, elite class fighters like Henderson and Penn. Aldo has struggled with guys way below that level, like Florian and Hominick. I think Edgar's well-roundedness, wrestling and variety will lead to a decision over Aldo. But, of course the chance of Edgar getting clipped and finished at any time is fairly high. That's what makes this a scintillating fight, can't wait!
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

very nice
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
benebox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Great 50/50 fight. Leaning towards an Aldo KO
benebox is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Peter__1987

vCash:

GREAT fight.

I'm thinking Aldo, but Edgar is a lively underdog.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1233

i feel Edgar might get the upset, call it a hunch.
Delroc is online now  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Pick 'em fight. I just want to watch it. I have no idea who will win.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Bad fight for Edgar.....IMO.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

I think Frankie is going to get absolutely battered here.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

We never know how these things will go. It's a given that Aldo's leg kicks are going to have to be dealt with one way or another. Frankie is going to try and circle away or into the right leg to keep Aldo from setting. He has to be very careful with his takedowns and how he works inside, cant forget about Aldo's right knee that he uses to catch guys who like to fight inside.. I don't think Edgar has what it takes to finish Aldo off, which gives Aldo yet another advantage.

Everything points to Aldo domination, but can't count a guy like Edgar out. Dude can adjust pretty well, smart and game as anybody I've seen in a long time. Have to respect that. I expect Aldo to win by knockout, but would only be slightly surprised if Edgar takes a decision.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Aldo has the best leg kicks in the game. Anybody that's been kicked with technique like Aldo's knows it will be harder and harder for Edgar to summon the strength for his power take downs with each kick landed. This could be Edgar's worst beating.

Aldo has been having trouble conditioning lately though while Edgar has always been strong the full 5 rounds. Edgar can definitely win if he protects his legs and takes it into the later rounds.
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Tko4
Left high kick
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

This is a huge fight. If Frankie can get in tight and lean on Aldo, he can wear him out. The Hominick fight provided a road map, and Edgar's a bigger guy and a far superior wrestler. If he can survive the leg kicks and standing attacks in the first round, he has a decent shot. But Aldo's the type of guy that can end in a blink of the eye...no matter who is in front of him. Good, good bout.
Tko4 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum