boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 874
vCash: 75
Default No headguards after olympics?

I have read a thread an articles on this but can someone just clarify if all amature boxers will get rid of headguards. So aba rules will change aswell with the scoring?
pichuchu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

No, it's just international tournaments like the Olympics that will go to no headgear from what I understand. At least in the US we'll still be wearing headgear at the national level.
Kolya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

wearing headgear isn't a good thing. the quality of fighters has dropped dramatically since headgear became mandatory. Learn how to protect yourself or quit boxing.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
wearing headgear isn't a good thing. the quality of fighters has dropped dramatically since headgear became mandatory. Learn how to protect yourself or quit boxing.

Yeah, because accidental headbutts that cause cuts in multi-day tournaments builds character. Headgear does nothing to stop you from getting hurt by a punch, it helps protect you from getting buster eardrums and cuts.
Kolya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

I'm more excited about the 10 point must system. Who knows if any of this will happen at all though, from all I've seen it's just being talked about with no real plans for implementing it yet.

For reference, how much of a problem were cuts before amateurs wore headgear?
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
SugarRayRobin
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 1055
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
Yeah, because accidental headbutts that cause cuts in multi-day tournaments builds character. Headgear does nothing to stop you from getting hurt by a punch, it helps protect you from getting buster eardrums and cuts.
Not sure about that tbh, must absorb some force surely.
SugarRayRobin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 906
vCash: 675
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarRayRobin View Post
Not sure about that tbh, must absorb some force surely.
True, it might absorb hits even at minimal levels. But there are cons too. It limits visibility and we all know punches not seen have greater impact. Also, more important, fighters get lazy thinking they're wearing a force field around their noggins. It causes instances where they'd rather get hit than move their waist/heads.
I'm undecided about the no headgear ruling.
JDK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
Yeah, because accidental headbutts that cause cuts in multi-day tournaments builds character. Headgear does nothing to stop you from getting hurt by a punch, it helps protect you from getting buster eardrums and cuts.
Without headgear, you learn to move your head inside, to put in places where those things don't happen. Archie Moore thought that headgear was a horrible idea. And you are right: from the start, the idea behind headgear was to keep fights from getting postponed due to cuts from sparring.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarRayRobin View Post
Not sure about that tbh, must absorb some force surely.
The chin and face is exposed on headgear for a reason. It's the design of the gloves in amateur boxing that is intended to protect against concussions and brain damage, not the headgear.
Kolya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #10
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,229
vCash: 500
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
No, it's just international tournaments like the Olympics that will go to no headgear from what I understand. At least in the US we'll still be wearing headgear at the national level.
That's incorrect, everybody apart from novices, females and juniors will be changing to the new rules.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
That's incorrect, everybody apart from novices, females and juniors will be changing to the new rules.

Really? Because that's not what the US AIBA official that went to Beijing told me.
Kolya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,229
vCash: 500
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
Really? Because that's not what the US AIBA official that went to Beijing told me.
I trust the official documentation over word of mouth, even if it did come from an AIBA representative. I think that would be very odd to have fighters fight with headgear then all of a sudden lose it for international competition.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
No, it's just international tournaments like the Olympics that will go to no headgear from what I understand. At least in the US we'll still be wearing headgear at the national level.
if i heard correctly at the last coaches clinic, the president of our lbc, who's also been involved with the technical rule talks, said that the 'no head guard rule' will apply to all aiba qualifying tounaments. that makes sense and doesn't make it so black and white, leaving a lot of grey area.

going off that thinking USA Boxing touneys for districts, regionals, nationals, etc will be no headgear. golden gloves, pal and military could use headgear in their tournaments unless it's an olympic selection year when when all organizations must abide by aiba rules to be considered for the olympic team.

"know the rules, win the game!" until the new rules are posted from aiba and i can read the facts, this is all fun, recreational conversation.

in my opinion, i like headgear because it reduces the damage from minor blows. for major hits the damage is still being done to the brain (when i get hit hard and my head snaps back, my brain is bouncing off the front of my skull. when a hard hook lands, rotational force rips some of the fibres from the stem to the brain) even with headgear.

and if 'no headgear' is so safe why would the women still use it? because it's really not? would that be an administrative contradiction? and why? just so we can get fans back in the seats by making it look like the pros.

and really, the 10point must system doesn't make any sense. it's all based on opinion. i prefer returning to the 20 point must system which is the balance between judging AND awarding points for clean scoring blows. as long as there are humans judging without a set criteria to judge from (like in gymnastics/figure skating) there's always going to be room for controversy.
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

People are gonna be getting robbed right and left but what this means is that power punchers will inevitably rise to the top. Kids are gonna be ****ed about decisions and start taking it to their opponents, and thus out of the judges hands. It's going to breed better fighters, no doubt. It's gonna turn it from a game into a fight, which is what people want to see and to be honest, it's what most fighters want.

The headgear is meh...If I'm not wearing a headgear I'm gonna get pretty good at defense because I don't want my face slashed open. And like you said, little shots are gonna sting more, so people won't just do the rock 'em sock 'em robots bull**** anymore. Nothing is uglier than most novice fights in the last few years. Except the Olympic fights =D
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: No headguards after olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxinScienceUSA View Post
if i heard correctly at the last coaches clinic, the president of our lbc, who's also been involved with the technical rule talks, said that the 'no head guard rule' will apply to all aiba qualifying tounaments. that makes sense and doesn't make it so black and white, leaving a lot of grey area.

going off that thinking USA Boxing touneys for districts, regionals, nationals, etc will be no headgear. golden gloves, pal and military could use headgear in their tournaments unless it's an olympic selection year when when all organizations must abide by aiba rules to be considered for the olympic team.

"know the rules, win the game!" until the new rules are posted from aiba and i can read the facts, this is all fun, recreational conversation.

in my opinion, i like headgear because it reduces the damage from minor blows. for major hits the damage is still being done to the brain (when i get hit hard and my head snaps back, my brain is bouncing off the front of my skull. when a hard hook lands, rotational force rips some of the fibres from the stem to the brain) even with headgear.

and if 'no headgear' is so safe why would the women still use it? because it's really not? would that be an administrative contradiction? and why? just so we can get fans back in the seats by making it look like the pros.

and really, the 10point must system doesn't make any sense. it's all based on opinion. i prefer returning to the 20 point must system which is the balance between judging AND awarding points for clean scoring blows. as long as there are humans judging without a set criteria to judge from (like in gymnastics/figure skating) there's always going to be room for controversy.

I tend to agree with most of this. I especially think that the 10 point must is going to be a disaster. At first it seemed like Wu legitimately wanted to clean up amateur boxing, now it seems like he just wants to make it more like pro boxing and move into that.
Kolya is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015