Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
MonagFam
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Gary Mason Questions

First -- RIP. I wasn't aware he had been killed in a cycling accident until I recalled his name and wanted to do a little research.

How close was Mason to getting some sort of world title shot? (I know he lost to Lennox after coming out of "retirement" due to a detached retina, but prior to that was he close?).

Bruno had a couple shots at the title, and I never knew what he had that Mason didn't (though Frank did win me over based on his appearance on David Letterman). How were the two viewed? Was this a fight the British public wanted?
MonagFam is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301
Default Re: Gary Mason Questions

Mason was never considered for a title shot.

Mason and Bruno were from the same stable so they were never really considered as a match up. Initially Mason would of been too inexperienced. And when Mason finally was at a level to compete with The Bomber, Bruno was in his temporary retirement post TysonI.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

That Lewis fight blew out the candles. And the eye damage he suffered. The thing is that I thought the Lewis management was crazy taking on that guy at that time. Big big risk to take and one they did not have to take. but it's nice when we the fans get those why fight that guy type matches, isn't it?

Big big edge in experience for Mason at the time and I think his record was around 37-0, 34 ko's. And Lennox had developed well as a pro, but that was like his 14th fight and a huge step. And it certainly was not all Lewis' way early, but he showed a trait that you see so often with the heavyweight prospects--they tend to be pretty much over the top front runner types. They either look devastating or poor. Lennox looked uncomfortable at times, but certainly not over his head and you could see him using his ring smarts in there. But the lewis weight was lower and he threw a lot more quick and snappy lefthooks back then.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Mason ad a serious cranium. Few men ave ad a skull so massive.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Mason ad a serious cranium. Few men ave ad a skull so massive.

Pretty ironic really considering he had the smallest ears in the world.

(dunno how to upload a pic to show them)
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I could be wrong but I seem to remember him being ranked around 5th in the world coming into the Lewis fight. If he won he would have got the eliminator against Rudduck instead of Lewis.

Bruno was the darling of the British public, loved by most grandmas and your boxing and non boxing fan alike. He was very likeable and his management handled him well. He also benefited from being on the BBC and getting massive exposure. Mason wasn't very well known and the public never warmed to the public like they did Big Frank.

As a boxer Mason lacked refinement but kept a high guard and applied pressure well against Lewis. Very strong, pretty tough and put his punches together well inside. Better than many challengers and some champions.

After Lewis he retired due to a detached retina, if he kept going maybe he gets a title shot against someone not named Lewis.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
bigbootyboxing
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Lewis's management was thought of as ****ing up big time.
No 14-0 prospect would take on a 35-0 KO Artist with a 100% KO Ratio.. That is pure insanity because Mason was 35-0 and had a 100% KO ratio. One punch and it's lights out..+ Lewis was a novice at 14 fights.. massive risk.
bigbootyboxing is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mason was brought along VERY carefully but was no more than euro level. I cant recall there ever being a clamour for him to fight Bruno, who had no interest ever in fighting for a british title
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I could be wrong but I seem to remember him being ranked around 5th in the world coming into the Lewis fight. If he won he would have got the eliminator against Rudduck instead of Lewis.

Bruno was the darling of the British public, loved by most grandmas and your boxing and non boxing fan alike. He was very likeable and his management handled him well. He also benefited from being on the BBC and getting massive exposure. Mason wasn't very well known and the public never warmed to the public like they did Big Frank.

As a boxer Mason lacked refinement but kept a high guard and applied pressure well against Lewis. Very strong, pretty tough and put his punches together well inside. Better than many challengers and some champions.

After Lewis he retired due to a detached retina, if he kept going maybe he gets a title shot against someone not named Lewis.
I liked Mason. He was crude but one of those fighters who knew exactly what his strengths and limitations were. His patience in going to Lewis's body in the early rounds were impressive for a man with his stoppage ratio. Most of those guys are reckless headhunters. That Mason was willing to put work in the bank for later in the fight showed that he was more than a one-dimensional slugger, and it's only a shame his career was cut short by this fight.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Did Mason have the retina issue before the Lewis fight? If not then this fight may have caused it. One right from Lewis above the left eye made Gary wince and he moved backwards to the ropes in obvious pain. It may have been pretty much the end of the fight a few seconds later
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Did Mason have the retina issue before the Lewis fight? If not then this fight may have caused it. One right from Lewis above the left eye made Gary wince and he moved backwards to the ropes in obvious pain. It may have been pretty much the end of the fight a few seconds later
Yes that's right. It was the Lennox fight that really ended things though.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I remember the fight being announced and at the time I didn't think Lewis was being put in over his head. Mason's record whilst impressive in numbers, didn't have the quality of world class opposition. The fight went about how I expected it to

p.s used to see Gary on A Question of Sport every so often. He seemed like a jovial fella to me. RIP
Bollox is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum