boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Default The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

The black press could be ruthless in chastising white fighters who avoided black fighters. One fighter who managed to win their admiration was Harry Greb, as this eulogy clearly shows:

"We write this not in the spirit of appreciation of the fallen fighter's prowess, per se; the records will attest to that. We rather refer to Harry Greb's interpretation of AMERICANISM, as the name is reduced to practice. After becoming champion...he always subscribed to the theory that all men deserved a chance; that all men's challenges were to be treated in the same way; accepted if logical or rejected for just cause or reason, but the question of color was never the basis of rejection, the views of his manager [George Engel] to the contrary notwithstanding. During his career he fought Kid Norfolk three (sic) times, Jack Blackburn once and Tiger Flowers three times and it is reasonable to assume that the only reason he did not fight other colored men* was because he was not called upon to do so. The record of Harry Greb goes down into history as a credit to the game of boxing and to the honor of America.

Contrasting Greb's career and his interpretation of what constitutes a world's champion with the *****footing of most white fighters and sport writers, colored America may well stand at ATTENTION at the tomb of Harry Greb and truthfully say: "THERE LIES AN AMERICAN".

--The Pittsburgh Courier, 10/30/1926

*he actually did fight several others like Allentown Joe Gans and Willie Langford.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,966
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
The black press could be ruthless in chastising white fighters who avoided black fighters. One fighter who managed to win their admiration was Harry Greb, as this eulogy clearly shows:

"We write this not in the spirit of appreciation of the fallen fighter's prowess, per se; the records will attest to that. We rather refer to Harry Greb's interpretation of AMERICANISM, as the name is reduced to practice. After becoming champion...he always subscribed to the theory that all men deserved a chance; that all men's challenges were to be treated in the same way; accepted if logical or rejected for just cause or reason, but the question of color was never the basis of rejection, the views of his manager [George Engel] to the contrary notwithstanding. During his career he fought Kid Norfolk three (sic) times, Jack Blackburn once and Tiger Flowers three times and it is reasonable to assume that the only reason he did not fight other colored men* was because he was not called upon to do so. The record of Harry Greb goes down into history as a credit to the game of boxing and to the honor of America.

Contrasting Greb's career and his interpretation of what constitutes a world's champion with the *****footing of most white fighters and sport writers, colored America may well stand at ATTENTION at the tomb of Harry Greb and truthfully say: "THERE LIES AN AMERICAN".

--The Pittsburgh Courier, 10/30/1926

*he actually did fight several others like Allentown Joe Gans and Willie Langford.
I heard there was a similar response after May 31st 1983.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

A man ahead of his time!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I heard there was a similar response after May 31st 1983.
Maybe the hot weather here in L.A. is making me obtuse for the moment. Explain?
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,979
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Klompton told me that Greb was an admirer of Harry Wills.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death



Cool stuff.

Ironically Greb didn't always got along with the mainstream press. The coolest thing is he fought black men in every stage of his career, not just when he needed to (and the ones I know were all tough - don't know Willie Langford, though).
WhyYouLittle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

biggest pair of ***** in the history of sport
Pachilles is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,845
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Very telling that a guy with three hundred fights fights three black men and is a hero of an era ... shows just how many fighters used the color line to their advantage ... I am a firm believer that if there was no color loine the history books would read very differently ...
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,966
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Of
Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Very telling that a guy with three hundred fights fights three black men and is a hero of an era ... shows just how many fighters used the color line to their advantage ... I am a firm believer that if there was no color loine the history books would read very differently ...
Have you so thoroughly reviewed Greb's record to determine that only 3 men of color ranked among Greb's opponents? And further could it possibly be that Irish, Germans and Italians proportionately dominted the sport as African Americans did in later decades? Upon which philosophy do you base that the landscape of the sport would be drastically different?

And I'm no stating that I disagree with you.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
The black press could be ruthless in chastising white fighters who avoided black fighters. One fighter who managed to win their admiration was Harry Greb, as this eulogy clearly shows:

"We write this not in the spirit of appreciation of the fallen fighter's prowess, per se; the records will attest to that. We rather refer to Harry Greb's interpretation of AMERICANISM, as the name is reduced to practice. After becoming champion...he always subscribed to the theory that all men deserved a chance; that all men's challenges were to be treated in the same way; accepted if logical or rejected for just cause or reason, but the question of color was never the basis of rejection, the views of his manager [George Engel] to the contrary notwithstanding. During his career he fought Kid Norfolk three (sic) times, Jack Blackburn once and Tiger Flowers three times and it is reasonable to assume that the only reason he did not fight other colored men* was because he was not called upon to do so. The record of Harry Greb goes down into history as a credit to the game of boxing and to the honor of America.

Contrasting Greb's career and his interpretation of what constitutes a world's champion with the *****footing of most white fighters and sport writers, colored America may well stand at ATTENTION at the tomb of Harry Greb and truthfully say: "THERE LIES AN AMERICAN".

--The Pittsburgh Courier, 10/30/1926

*he actually did fight several others like Allentown Joe Gans and Willie Langford.
That is certainly high praise...and it is certainly well deserved by Harry Greb. Greb deserves the utmost respect of all boxing fans...what a fighter. Thanks for posting.
dpw417 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Ive always found Harrys second to last fight vs Allentown Joey Gans particularly inspiring as Harry was so old blind and battered by then, and AJG was a young hellva fighter.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

What a man.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #13
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Maybe the hot weather here in L.A. is making me obtuse for the moment. Explain?

I was wondering same thing, what happened on that day?
Danmann is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #14
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmann View Post
I was wondering same thing, what happened on that day?
OK, Jack Dempsey died.
Danmann is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #15
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bronx ny
Posts: 4,954
vCash: 495
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

goat
brnxhands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015