WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Black Press Salutes Harry Greb in Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmann View Post
OK, Jack Dempsey died.
No. You gotta be kidding. I can't believe they were able to sneak Dempsey in a thread without actually mentioning him. Just... Ack. What's next subliminal messages?
WhyYouLittle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAKKA View Post
Ive always found Harrys second to last fight vs Allentown Joey Gans particularly inspiring as Harry was so old blind and battered by then, and AJG was a young hellva fighter.
Interesting enough Allentown Joe Gans was outpointed by Leo johnson
and Eddie Dorsey, about the same time Benny Leonard flattened both Johnson and Dorsey in 1 and 2 rounds....Whatever it's worth...
But the fact that Harry Greb ,old and creaky was able to still dominate
the tough Allentown Joe Gans JUST before Greb retired,speaks so highly of
who a prime Harry Greb was...The more we learn about Harry Greb the more astounding he was...THIS WAS A MAN !
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
The more we learn about Harry Greb the more astounding he was...THIS WAS A MAN !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyYouLittle View Post
No. You gotta be kidding. I can't believe they were able to sneak Dempsey in a thread without actually mentioning him. Just... Ack. What's next subliminal messages?
How do you know there are not already subliminal messages placed in each thread? Thus is their nature.

Yes, Greb is the real man. His record is just astonishing, reads like Science Fiction. I wish Pollack or some other thorough researcher would do a book on the man.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

Quote:
and Eddie Dorsey, about the same time Benny Leonard flattened both Johnson and Dorsey in 1 and 2 rounds....Whatever it's worth...
who a prime Harry Greb was...The more we learn about Harry Greb the more astounding he was...THIS WAS A MAN !
Yet another piece of information telling how good Leo Johnson was. Did he really have to mess Leonard's hair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
How do you know there are not already subliminal messages placed in each thread? Thus is their nature.
You can't scare me. Subliminal messages wouldn't change anything at this point. The thread's get hijacked anyway.
WhyYouLittle is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well repeating a prior post, according to all three Willks Barre newspapers
Gans held a prime Jack Delaney to a draw early in 1925. All three accounts read like the boys went at it like a couppla tigers. I don't suppose Gans had lost much by the following year and the same local paps describe quite a tail kicking dolled out to AJG by old blind Mister Greb.

Below is another indication of utmost respect from the African American community, this time by the onetime conquer of Max Scmelling Larry Gains.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Gans held a prime Jack Delaney to a draw early in 1925. All three accounts read like the boys went at it like a couppla tigers. I don't suppose Gans had lost much by the following year and the same local paps describe quite a tail kicking dolled out to AJG by old blind Mister Greb.

Below is another indication of utmost respect from the African American community, this time by the onetime conquer of Max Scmelling Larry Gains.

Yes S, I read this great book of the MWs by Walsh, several years ago...i loved his version of how vain harry Greb was about his looks...He would powder his face and slick his hair down the middle looking like Lord Faunterloy, but once the bell started Harry Greb became the most tigerish
boxer of all times, on the attack every moment of the fight...Larry Gaines, a top fighter in his own right thought the world of Mr. Greb...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Very telling that a guy with three hundred fights fights three black men and is a hero of an era ... shows just how many fighters used the color line to their advantage ... I am a firm believer that if there was no color loine the history books would read very differently ...
1) He fought more than 3.

2) Perhaps that's all the black contenders there were in the middleweight division? Greb fought everybody, and that era was the most packed as far as different ethnicities all participating in the sport. It'd take awhile after Flowers for there to be another black middleweight champion (Gorilla Jones was the only claimant before SRR in '51), and there were other middleweight champs like Steele that didn't draw the color line. It really wouldn't be until the '40's that serious black middleweight contenders emerged that didn't get their chance at the crown.

The white/Irish/Polish/Italian/Jewish middleweights of the 20's and 30's generally get punished because historians today see them trading the title back and forth without many fights with black contenders and so it's assumed they drew the color line, but it's an unfair perception- there just weren't many out there in that division at that time. And the top guys like Gorilla Jones and Tiger Flowers did get chances (granted, Flowers got screwed against Walker in that title fight, but Mickey still gave him the chance).

Not saying things wouldn't be different if there weren't a color line, but to the extent that things would've changed in the middleweight division in that era, I don't think it'd have been much.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #24
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Why won't it let me read the whole page?
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Very telling that a guy with three hundred fights fights three black men and is a hero of an era ... shows just how many fighters used the color line to their advantage ... I am a firm believer that if there was no color loine the history books would read very differently ...
You mean like Jack Johnson and Ray Robinson?
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #26
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Why won't it let me read the whole page?
Amazon marketing I guess. Ask Messers JJ to send you pages directly from the Larry Gains book "Impossible Dream"
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
1) And the top guys like Gorilla Jones and Tiger Flowers did get chances (granted, Flowers got screwed against Walker in that title fight, but Mickey still gave him the chance).

Walker didnt give Flowers a chance.

It was Flowers who was champion and gave Walker a chance. Flowers got robbed, Walker won the title and then ducked Flowers who died a year later.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lord Tywin is correct.

However Flowers got a gift decision over Harry Greb to retain his title; a decision that was also a robbery (credit goes to Tiger's manager Walk "The Squawk" Miller for fanning the flames of paranoia in the leadup to the fight). Not that two wrongs make a right, but Flowers (and Miller) may have swallowed a bit of karma with the Walker decision
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #29
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
Walker didnt give Flowers a chance.

It was Flowers who was champion and gave Walker a chance. Flowers got robbed, Walker won the title and then ducked Flowers who died a year later.
You're right; my mistake.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #30
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Bump. Great thread.
brnxhands is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum