Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Sergey Kovalev

Sergey Kovalev ( 22-0, 20 Ko's ) is likely the best right now at light heavyweight. Will Hopkins or Bute dare fight him?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000
Default Re: Sergey Kovalev

Why the hell would they?

Bigger money lower risk options exist for both.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Why the hell would they?

Bigger money lower risk options exist for both.
Kovalev is Hopkins mandatroy. Hopkins has three options.

1. Retire

2. Fight soemone else and get stripped of his title

3. Fight Kovalev
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Grecorussian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 670

I think that Kovalev gave up his IBF mandatory spot when he went for the WBO belt . Is he still the oc for BHop?
Grecorussian is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Kovalev is Hopkins mandatroy. Hopkins has three options.

1. Retire

2. Fight soemone else and get stripped of his title

3. Fight Kovalev
I am guessing he will go with #2. What does the belt mean to him, anyway? It's hardly as though his current reign is going to augment his legacy much. The mere fact that he captured a title at his age does, but defending against the likes of Karo Murat and then likely Fonfara? (who just fought an IBF eliminator, so Kovalev might well be mandatory but they may give him an easier path in allowing him to instead defend against Fonfara)
Old 08-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Kevin Willis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 295

Why would Hopkins continue fighting if he is going to avoid his toughest challenge. You would think a guy with that type of ego would want to face the divisions new shooting star in Kovalev.

I personally feel after he hugs and elbows his way past Murat he will face Ward in his final fight. I feel there is a huge racial component with Hopkins and how he conducts himself and the very real prospect of him taking a beating from a white fighting in Kovalev is something he will not risk. While going out via decision against Ward would be far more palatable within the framework of his soceital construct.

Regarding kovalev: I was sort of dissapointed the way HBO commentated his fight with Cleverly. RJJ was in full retard mode claimimg Kovalev was not a fast starter and he was going to be in trouble at his current pace (right before he hurt Cleverly in the 3rd). Then Kellerman mentions kovalev draw without explaining that it was actually a NC from a questionable foul, essentially robbing Kovalev of another KO victory.
Kevin Willis is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
ChicagoBoxLife
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

I am a Fonfara fan but if he wants to continue his career, avoid Kovalev
ChicagoBoxLife is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Willis View Post
Why would Hopkins continue fighting if he is going to avoid his toughest challenge. You would think a guy with that type of ego would want to face the divisions new shooting star in Kovalev.

I personally feel after he hugs and elbows his way past Murat he will face Ward in his final fight. I feel there is a huge racial component with Hopkins and how he conducts himself and the very real prospect of him taking a beating from a white fighting in Kovalev is something he will not risk. While going out via decision against Ward would be far more palatable within the framework of his soceital construct.

Regarding kovalev: I was sort of dissapointed the way HBO commentated his fight with Cleverly. RJJ was in full retard mode claimimg Kovalev was not a fast starter and he was going to be in trouble at his current pace (right before he hurt Cleverly in the 3rd). Then Kellerman mentions kovalev draw without explaining that it was actually a NC from a questionable foul, essentially robbing Kovalev of another KO victory.
Hopkins is an X convict with some racy comments. Losing to Calzaghe, a white fighter from Wales hurt his ego badly. But Clazaghe is the type to win on points. Kovalev would likely knock Hopkins out.

You could say the same for James Toney. He wanted a shot at Wlad. He ran his mouth. Then Wlad offered Toney who at the time did not have a heavyweight belt a shot at his! Toney he went quiet, then fought some no-name fighter for far less money.

In boxing money usually talks, but in Toney's case his mouth wrote a check his body/ego did not want to cash.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
freedom2013
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 322

If Juergen Braemer wins on Saturday, he'll be Kovalev's WBO mandatory.

That would be a good matchup. But it would probably need to be in Germany or Russia, because of Braemer's record he likely won't be allowed to come into the USA.
freedom2013 is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Kevin Willis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 295

Whenever Kovalev faces a fighter who can sell out a hometown venue, he will end up being the road fighter replete with all the pitfalls that come along.
Kevin Willis is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom2013 View Post
If Juergen Braemer wins on Saturday, he'll be Kovalev's WBO mandatory.

That would be a good matchup. But it would probably need to be in Germany or Russia, because of Braemer's record he likely won't be allowed to come into the USA.
Whether it's Braehmer or Abatengelo (probably Braehmer) that is an easy KO for Kovalev.

...and yes, I realize neither has ever been stopped and both are tough but they are simply too hittable and straightforward and will be there for Krusher's power.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #12
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

SOB Ward will never fight Kovalev. When a fight between the two was mentioned Ward changed the subject. Ward will only fight in his home town with his personal referee and judges. Ward was the only fighter who did not have to travel in the tournament. Kovalev would walk right through Ward and knock him out. The network turned down the fighter Ward wanted to fight and I don't blame them.

Kovalev did not want to wait forever to get a fight with Hopkins, although he was Hopkins' mandatory. Kovalev would knock Hopkins out, I am certain of that.

Last edited by Farmboxer; 08-26-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
rapidfire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboxer View Post
Kovalev did not want to wait forever to get a fight with Hopkins, although he was Hopkins' mandatory. Kovalev would knock Hopkins out, I am certain of that.
Nah, he just took the easier road in Cleverly. Stylewise Hopkins is a much tougher nut to crack for Kovalev. He knows, time is on his side though.
rapidfire is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
rapidfire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
You could say the same for James Toney. He wanted a shot at Wlad. He ran his mouth. Then Wlad offered Toney who at the time did not have a heavyweight belt a shot at his! Toney he went quiet, then fought some no-name fighter for far less money.

In boxing money usually talks, but in Toney's case his mouth wrote a check his body/ego did not want to cash.
At that time Toney wanted to go the WBC route. Much more money on the line with an all American clash against Rahman.

Last edited by rapidfire; 08-23-2013 at 07:08 AM.
rapidfire is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBoxLife View Post
I am a Fonfara fan but if he wants to continue his career, avoid Kovalev
I think if Bute gets past Pascal, he and Fonfara will have a fight eventually.

But both Bute and Fonfara need to avoid Kovalev like the plague.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum