Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
babaluma
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Bobby Gunn WTF?

I don't want to knock any man brave enough to get in the ring, but while idly checking out Tomasz Adamek's record to get info on his fights with Paul Briggs I noticed he had beaten Bobby Gunn. I chased up Gunn's record as it rang a bell and remembered he had put up a rather lamentable "challenge" to Enzo Maccarinelli, one of the lamest fights I have ever seen.

I know I should not be so naive but how the hell did Gunn, after getting battered in 1 round, go on to have not only another shot at a title but two consecutive fights for a title (if you count the IBU) both of which ended in early retirement...Is he very well connected because he hardly looks like a particularly exciting fighter?

Can anyone come up with other equally unqualified contenders who had several shots at a title?
babaluma is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bobby Gunn WTF?

it wasnt long ago. hardly should be classic material.

it was hilarious when it happened. this idea of a true hall of famer was shinging through adameks reletivly recent record.....then fight nobody in front of nobody for no gain.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
babaluma
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post

it was hilarious when it happened. this idea of a true hall of famer was shinging through adameks reletivly recent record.....then fight nobody in front of nobody for no gain.
True (move it to modern if you like), I think I posted here because Bobby Gunn reminded me of Toro Moreno.
babaluma is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaluma View Post
I don't want to knock any man brave enough to get in the ring, but while idly checking out Tomasz Adamek's record to get info on his fights with Paul Briggs I noticed he had beaten Bobby Gunn. I chased up Gunn's record as it rang a bell and remembered he had put up a rather lamentable "challenge" to Enzo Maccarinelli, one of the lamest fights I have ever seen.

I know I should not be so naive but how the hell did Gunn, after getting battered in 1 round, go on to have not only another shot at a title but two consecutive fights for a title (if you count the IBU) both of which ended in early retirement...Is he very well connected because he hardly looks like a particularly exciting fighter?

Can anyone come up with other equally unqualified contenders who had several shots at a title?
it is a sad reality of Boxing, and boxing at it's worst for that matter, both in politics and a fighters lack of ability. Sadly more common today than ever with so many fighters vying for titles and yet champions and fighters not fighting as much as they should; well then someone has got to be an opponent for a champ.

or maybe he was just better than the great many fighters of the past!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post

Adamek is a rarity. He wants to fight everyone at every level, all the time. He's always got one scheduled. Duds, journeymen, contenders, champs. He gives not a single damn. No matter where he's at in his career. Some guys are protecting themselves from any challenge until they get one big shot, some guys protect themselves from any challenge at all, some guys won't get out of bed unless it's for a big fight, Adamek is fine with anyone on any level, whenever, as long as he's active.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum