Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
vodanh1993

vCash: 500
Default Boxing and fitness

i have learned boxing for 5 months. Before i started boxing, i didn't do gym but i did push-up and pull-up a lot for fitness. But now, my teacher said that doing push-up and pull-up would make my punch become slow. So should i continue do push-up and pull-up? If i shouldn't do this, what should i do for fitness?
(My house is really small so i can't buy a boxing bag).
Thanks a lot.
vodanh1993 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
vodanh1993

Default Re: Boxing and fitness

Help me please :(
vodanh1993 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
old_man

I wouldn't worry too much about this as I think most boxers do push-ups and pull-ups. I guess the thing would be to make the movements more explosive (like when you're punching). Also I heard shadowboxing after your work-out helps you wind down, so your muscles don't go stiff. In the end I guess it all depends on how satisfied you are with your fitness. If your body responds well to your needs, I guess you can keep up what you have been doing until now. Cheers!
old_man is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree. Push ups and pull-ups are a part of most boxers' routine. So they shouldn't hurt you much (unless you're over-doing it). And I also agree that more explosive movements are better - like pushup claps.

However, your question suggests you might be over-thinking this, and focusing too closely on these 2 exercises.

Fitness for boxing should involve strengthening ALL parts of your body, PLUS intense conditioning to increase your cardio/anaerobic conditioning.
What ELSE are you doing to support your fitness? If these are the only 2 exercises you're doing for fitness, then i'm afraid you need a lot of help.

Luckily, there are several boxing websites with articles to get you started, and videos on YouTube that can help.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Doing just push ups causes an imbalance in your shoulders due to your chest overpowering your upper back. This imbalance is known as rounded shoulders. Having rounded shoulders is something that will slow you down so you're far better off doing pullups and pushups. There's nothing wrong in what you're doing.

What you need to realize is this guy is a boxing coach. If he tries to give you advice on anything outside of boxing i.e nutrition, weight training, conditioning (in some cases), weight loss etc take that advice with a grain of salt, it's most likely wrong as in this case.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Push ups and pull ups is a great combination.

You could add in burpees and box jumps too..

..or box jump burpees.
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Antonio245

I wouldn't fear too much about this as I think most fighters do push-ups and pull-ups and other [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. I think the factor would be to create the motions more intense (like when you're punching). Also I observed shadowboxing after your work-out allows you breeze down, so your muscle tissue don't go firm.

Last edited by Antonio245; 02-15-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Antonio245 is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Pullups are money and will make you hit harder. Pushups imo just make you more mentally tough. Do both, they won't make you slower but they won't make you faster either.
KillSomething is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing