Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why do you believe Mike Tyson completely dodged Bowe and Foreman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
That still doesnt explain why he dodged Bowe...But you do bring up a valid point about Tyson idolizing Foreman...But he Adored Larry Holmes too and look what he did to him..
I was going to say the same thing. He loved Holmes and almost put him through the floor.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #32
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Prime Tyson and even a post Douglas version of Tyson would kill Old Foreman. Post prison I'd still favor him.
He definitely destroys old Foreman. I think he beats him prime for prime too. I wouldn't bet on it but I think he does.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #33
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[quote=MrOliverKlozoff;13593473]He definitely destroys old Foreman. I think he beats him prime for prime too. I wouldn't bet on it but I think he does.[/quote

Most people do..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #34
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Foreman from the 70's would have been a very dangerous fight for Tyson..I sat Tyson puts him down in about 3 rounds, but you cant forget just one shot with either hands from Foreman could have hurt Tyson really bad...And I cant help to think what Goerge did to Frazier!..
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #35
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Bowe and Foreman were both big heavyweights. Mike would have had a hard time with them, but with Bowe I can see him breaking him down.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #36
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I believe Bowe has a very good chance of beating Tyson..
Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #37
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Bowe and Foreman were both big heavyweights. Mike would have had a hard time with them, but with Bowe I can see him breaking him down.
They were both big HW's...but 2 different styles..Bowe being a much better boxer than Big Goerge
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #38
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

The heavyweight scene changed alot in a short span in that time period.

I don't think Tyson was afraid of Foreman, and I doubt Foreman was afraid of Tyson. Foreman probably knew he would be beaten to a pulp, and the fact that King was involved made it an easy decision for Foreman not to fight.

So when did Tyson duck Foreman? Between 1987 and 1990, when Foreman fought bums and developed his record? His biggest and most challenging opponents were Bert Cooper and Gerry Cooney at that point. It was Tyson during this period (1986-1990) that it was HE, not Foreman, who fought the better opposition. Foreman wasn't on Tyson's radar, and for good reason.

Or was Tyson ducking Foreman when he finally got some big fights and could finally bring some interest and money to the equation, like when he lost his bid to the HW crown against Holyfield and was outboxed by Tommy Morisson? Foreman's next fight was against Moorer, where he got some leverage for big fights and something for fighters to come and take, but Foreman was stripped because he wouldn't defend against Tucker.

After that, if you consider Foreman to be the lineal champ, this was between 1995-1997, Tyson was still fighting the better opposition until getting his ass kicked by Holyfield in '96 and again in '97, pretty much taking the shine off of any match between the two.

You could make a pretty airtight case that Tyson fought the better opposition, where it was clear Foreman was taking a much more careful and less-risky road.

If anyone was ducking, it was Foreman doing the ducking.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #39
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowe was the only one in my opinion who had the style to compete with a prime Tyson, not Lewis or Holyfield. Bowe could fight very well on the inside and he wasnt afraid to mix it up. Prime for prime I think it could have been the greatest fight between two of the most talented fighters. In fact I cant think of too many other matchups that would have matched two guys who were on the skill level of these two at their respective peaks.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #40
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Bowe definitely had what it took on paper. Tall, great inside game, hard puncher, not afraid to bang it out, could box, could move a little, and the biggie: he could clinch.

The fact that his inside game was so good gives him the best chance. Although I think Holyfield would always give him trouble based on the attitude, counterpunching, and overall versatility.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #41
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
Was Foreman ever Tyson's mandatory? All Foreman had to do was fight a top contender, beat him, and then he'd be Tyson's mandatory contender.
And why did Tyson have to fight Foreman? Because George kept calling him out? Makes no sense. George was knocking over bums and demanding a Tyson fight.
he went through several dangerous and fringe contenders.

his first top 10 win was 16th june 1990 foreman koed in 2 7th ranked Adilson Rodrigues, rodrigues was ranked 4th when holyfield beat him then defended his south american world title (held it for 16 years) before foreman beat him.

he took on and beat several top 20 contenders though.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil"][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][/ame] [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adilson_Rodrigues"]Adilson Rodrigues[/ame]KO2 (10)16/06/1990
luke is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #42
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Bowe definitely had what it took on paper. Tall, great inside game, hard puncher, not afraid to bang it out, could box, could move a little, and the biggie: he could clinch.

The fact that his inside game was so good gives him the best chance. Although I think Holyfield would always give him trouble based on the attitude, counterpunching, and overall versatility.
Holyfield was great too, but he was too small and outgunned and thats why he hung in with Bowe but got beaten up. Bowe was a slob in both return matches, but prime for prime Holy was just too small to beat Tyson and Bowe at their bests in my opinion. He would always make for a great fight though.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #43
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

With all the interviews Tyson is now doing, somebody should ask him. I know his mindset has changed and may not be able to relate or quite remember his feeling during that time but nevertheless still interesting.
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #44
SBleeder
Journeyman

I have no idea if any one of them was scared of the others.

I am, however, very confident that Bowe at his best beats Tyson at his best. Prime Tyson vs. Old Foreman could go either way, but if I had to post a wager, it would be on George.
SBleeder is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #45
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
No way! Mike Tyson was not scared of George Foreman. There was no reason for Tyson to fight Foreman at anytime between 1987-1990. From '87 up to the Douglas fight, Tyson steamrolled through the heavyweight division. Foreman wasn't even ranked during this time, and he had not beaten any top 10 (or top 20) fighters. Foreman was broke and was going after the most lucrative fight on the horizon: a fight with heavyweight champion Mike Tyson.
Foreman knew he couldn't beat Tyson, but he was willing to get his butt kicked for several million dollars.
After Tyson lost to Douglas, his main goal was to regain the heavyweight championship. Fighting George Foreman would not have helped Tyson to position himself for a title shot. Instead, Tyson fought the division's number 2 contender in Razor Ruddock, a guy much more dangerous than lumbering slow George Foreman. Heck, Foreman wanted no part of Ruddock; either did Riddick Bowe or comebacking Larry Holmes. But Tyson fought him -- twice!
Then Tyson went to prison.

So, how the heck could Tyson be accused of ducking or being afraid of George Foreman? There was no reason for Tyson to fight him. George was just trading off his reputation as a menacing former heavyweight champ; he was sounding the bells and banging the drums in order to get a big money fight against Tyson. Foreman needed Tyson for the big payday, at least until Holyfield came along!

Tyson would have brutalized George Foreman in the late-80s and early 90s.
This. And losing your passion from the game is not the same
as fearing someone. Tyson would tear up old Foreman.
This isnt 73 Foreman.
hookfromhell is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum