Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #61
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why do you believe Mike Tyson completely dodged Bowe and Foreman?

[quote=ETM;13598027]Well in Bowe had problems of his own. He had a pretty short career himself. By the time Tyson came out of prison Riddick was on the way down. He was getting his ass handed to him by Andrew Golota.

Riddick Bowe was a food addict. He couldnt control himself at the table. He ate his way out of the HOF.

Both Tyson and Bowe were screwed up. Neither guy was scared or really directly avoided the other. Life just happened.[/quote

Well said.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #62
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Bowe was on his way out..but he might have had enough in the tank to fight Tyson..At least for the big money fight it would have been..
Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #63
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
So maybe im starting to believe it was Don Kings fault more than anybody elses...But was King involved with Bowe...Why didnt that fight happen when Tyson made his comeback after prison...

CIANI: You mentioned the excitement he generated in those fights against McNeeley and Mathis. The fans were onboard again. They did believe in Mike again, but at that time after the Frank Bruno rematch rather than defend against Lennox Lewis, who you were working with at this time, Mike decided to drop the WBC belt and instead take on WBA champion Bruce Seldon. Looking back on this now, what do you read into that situation?

STEWARD: Well there is a lot going on when youíre going into those type of fights on that level. We just see the general fight, but a lot of times itís the promoter. I think at the time Don King maybe couldnít get a promotional deal of some type with Lennox Lewis, which meant he wouldnít have been covered. So he fought Bruce Seldon. Itís a whole lot more than just who fights who in boxing if you look at the behind the scenes things that go on. But I donít think Mike himself was ever afraid of anyone or dodged anyone. Those decisions are made a lot on politics, and donít forget Mike was a major, major money maker for boxing. When he fought the WBC got big sanctioning fees and everyone, so everybody was going overboard, and the WBA was doing pretty much what they had to do to accommodate Mike Tyson, and actually Don King was doing what he should as a promoter, which is what the promoters are still doing. They just donít get criticized as much. He didnít want Mike to fight with somebody he didnít have some type of options or control over. When they did actually fight eventually, it was a fight where Lennox and Mike fought and no one had any control. It took years for that to happen, because Mike was still with Showtime and Lennox Lewis was with HBO. There were a lot of complications back then, but Mike himself never dodged anyone.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Caelum is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #64
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
@saltytrunks....Foreman came back for alot reasons...at what about him and Morrison?
What about Morrison? Morrison was no serious threat and he had a suspect chin. Morrison wasnt a speedy combination punching beast, he was a lefthooker with a bad chin and stamina, and Im sure George felt Tommy would stand in with him and he would knock him out (same reason he fought Briggs). I dont think anyone expected Tommy to box circles around George, but to me, it was just more proof as to how slow Foreman was, because Tommy was a frontrunner who ran out of gas in most of his fights after four or five rounds, and George wasnt able to put enough pressure on Tommy to tire him out and Tommy just boxed to an easy decision.

Foreman had a good chin there was no denying that, but Tyson, Bowe and Lewis were on a different level and he knew it. He could take punches from guys like Morrison, Briggs, Stewart, Copper etc, because they werent going to be hitting him in succession like the elite fighters, and you only have to watch the Holyfield fight with Foreman to see what Im talking about. Had Holyfield had the power of Tyson or Bowe, Foreman would have been knocked out for sure.
salty trunks is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #65
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
He did better than your giving him credit for.

He KOd an undefeated Heavyweight Champion. He took Holyfield the distance in a spirited fast fight. Thats better than Tyson was able to do. He also beat Shannon Briggs regardless of what the judges said. On his way to a title shot he beat the #2 contender Aldison Rodgriguez KO2 he wasnt a great figher but he was ranked in the top 5. Not any worse than the guys Tyson made his name off on his way to the top.

If George just cameback for the $$ he wouldve retired after the Holyfield fight. He wanted the Heavyweight Championship.

I do believe that George Foreman avoided some fighters during his second career. Lennox Lewis and maybe Bowe. I dont think Tyson was one of the fighters he needed to avoid.

In George Foreman`s mind anyone who comes to him and is there to be hit he can beat. Right or wrong thats what he believed. When your that strong can you blame him?
Yes but he clearly was trying to face certain fighters. He KO'd Moorer after getting his ass handed to him for an entire fight. We knew Moorer had a marginal chin, didnt hit hard, and fought flat footed in the pocket. The point Im making is there was big difference between Moorer and Morrison to Tyson, Bowe and even Holyfield but Foreman knew he could at least hang in with Holyfield because of his size and fighting style. To me Lewis wasnt even in the mix at the time because he was still finding his way. By the time Lewis was an established champion Foreman was pretty much finishsed and definitely didnt want to mess with Lewis. Beating guys like Briggs and Moorer was good for Foreman but regardless of their record or what title they were holding, the fact is they were not on the same level as the elite fighters, and it was clear Foreman wouldnt be able to do anything more than try and land a lucky shot against them or take a serious beating and you cant really say Foreman going the distance with Holyfield was better than anything Tyson did. Around this time Tyson destroyed Alex Stewart in a minute and a half, and many believe Stewart beat Foreman. He certainly beat the crap out of George. Different times, different circumstances. The Tyson of 1990 would have done some serious damage to George, and he knew it.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #66
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Bowe - didn't share an era, Tyson was in prison, then was coming back when Bowe would get retired by GOlota and Tyson would lose to Holyfield

Foreman - George didn't want to work with King and Foreman never earned his shot either
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #67
salty trunks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowe was the #1 contender shortly after Tyson fought Ruddock. Bowe was certainly in the mix to face Foreman when he defeated Holyfield
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #68
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3424

In 1991 Foreman had an opportunity to fight Tyson for $15 mill....I think.

Instead he opted to re-match Holyfield for $12m. Then King & the Duvas got there shit together & made Holyfield v Tyson.

Thats the short version, can't be arsed to type the long version.
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #69
DarthYoda
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Duck Bowe Tyson most certainly did not!! Bowe went out of contention to fight Tyson when he got smashed to bits twice by the mad Polski Andrew Golota.
DarthYoda is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #70
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

I'm gone for 2 months and suddenly the Classic Forum has gone to hell in a hand basket.

SouthPaw,

We've actually done this thread before and I was able to explain why Tyson vs Foreman never took place.

Here's a post that I had a while back that debunks the myth.

1st attempt:

"...In December promoter Don King offered Foreman $5 million to fight Tyson sometime in 1990. "He gave me a contract and told me to sign on the dotted line," says Foreman, who rejected the offer. "I was more afraid of Don King and the dotted line than I am of Tyson..."

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2nd Attempt

"After Tyson's win over Razor Ruddock in their June 28 rematch, King set out to land a bout with Foreman. It was a power move that could well have left Holyfield with his crown, but with little opportunity to parlay it into another megabucks fight. However, the 42-year-old Foreman, whose gallant loss to Holyfield in April left him the heavyweight division's most popular figure, reportedly turned down a $20 million offer from King. Big George, it seemed, wanted a Holyfield rematch..."

3rd Attempt

"Tyson is scheduled to fight for a title in March. Foreman, who said he will retire after one more fight, is tentatively scheduled to meet Michael Moorer in March. Foreman has said he would like to fight Tyson, but not if King is involved in the promotion. King said he is confident that could be worked out.

Foreman did not elaborate upon the reason he is against King, who is responsible for promoting the 1974 "Rumble in the Jungle" title fight in Zaire, West Africa, where he and Ali became the first fighters to receive $5 million each in an unprecedented guarantee. King, named "Greatest Promoter of All-Time" by the World Boxing Council, inspired President Mobuto Sese Seko's government to promote the first one-billion viewer fight spectacular between Ali and Foreman in Zaire's capital city, Kinshasha. The government guaranteed the $10 million which was split between Foreman and Ali, who regained his heavyweight title..."

There was a 4th attempt in 1999 but at that point it was George's last attempt to bring in an 8 figure payday in the ring.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #71
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

If it wasnt a fact then why arent watchin a rerun of Tyson vs Foreman
Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #72
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
If it wasnt a fact then why arent watchin a rerun of Tyson vs Foreman

What does that even mean?
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #73
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Then I guess most everyone is right...Do King is to blaim...If Foreman was more afraid of King and his dotted line....that I can beieve
Old 08-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #74
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

So do you believe theres anybody out there That Tyson WAS afraid of????
Old 08-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #75
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchamp View Post
I'm gone for 2 months and suddenly the Classic Forum has gone to hell in a hand basket.

I was wondering when you would show up.
fists of fury is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum