Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default How do you rate Hendo's win over Fedor?

Difficult to assess I think.

Firstly, Fedor was obviously well past his prime, physically and mentally. But was he a shot fighter?

This could be debated either way.

On one hand, he was coming off two losses to inferior fighters to those he beat earlier in his career.

On the other hand, both of his conquerors held significant size advantages over him, and the way the Werdum fight ended was so avoidable.

Did the subsequent wins over Monson, Ishii and Rizzo prove anything at all, or were they just hollow, cherrypicked victories to round out his career?

And how does Fedor's performance in the fight vs Hendo factor into this? Did he perform adequately enough for you to credit him as a live dog who had to be put down by something special from Dan, or was he a toothless imitation who was there for the taking by any top fighter?

Does Dan get extra credit for the manner of victory, or on account of the weight disadvantage he faced?

***PLEASE, NO HILARIOUS CHILDS JOKES ABOUT 'UNBEATABLE' FEDOR ETC FROM HAGGIS JACKASS AND OTHER SIMILARLY BORING COMEDIANS***

Would really appreciate a serious discussion on this.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Re: How do you rate Hendo's win over Fedor?

I rate it. Fedor was better than he was in the Silva fight pretty clearly imo, people forget that he dropped Hendo right prior to the KO. I don't like to call fights flukes and in Hendo's case he can do that against anyone but it was pretty fortunate for Hendo that he had that opening...

Showcased how scary an opponent Hendo is. More quality than Silvas win over him.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

I thought it was a terrible stoppage. And he did not prove himself to be able to out fight Fedor. I don't really rate it as much of a win at all, but more of a gift.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I thought it was a terrible stoppage. And he did not prove himself to be able to out fight Fedor. I don't really rate it as much of a win at all, but more of a gift.
I'm a Fedor fan, but even I consider this nonsense. Fedor faceplanted from the big right hand, and wasn't even moving when Hendo lashed the side of his skull with another 2-3 big shots. Fedor only started groping wildly for Hendo once the ref was right in the mix, and Hendo's attack was being warded off.

Still, should I really expect more sense from a guy who believes Chael 'Limpwrist' Sonnen possesses devastating GnP?
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Fedor is my all time favorite fighter, and I thought the stoppage was fine.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
I'm a Fedor fan, but even I consider this nonsense. Fedor faceplanted from the big right hand, and wasn't even moving when Hendo lashed the side of his skull with another 2-3 big shots. Fedor only started groping wildly for Hendo once the ref was right in the mix, and Hendo's attack was being warded off.

Still, should I really expect more sense from a guy who believes Chael 'Limpwrist' Sonnen possesses devastating GnP?
I thought it was more the momentum of Henderson rolling Fedor off him that made him face plant.

Fedor also thought it was a very bad stoppage. Henderson was still throwing punches at Fedor when he spun back to fight him.

It was one of the quickest stoppages that I have ever seen. A fighter like Fedor deserved more of a chance then he was given.

Edit: I just rewatched the stoppage. I was wrong Fedor did not face plant from being rolled alone. It was caused by Henderson's weight on top of his back and a punch combined that made him face plant. You can see he was not hurt though when he spun his front to Henderson.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

By Charles Mccarthy

I just reviewed the stoppage of Fedor Emelianenko by the legendary Dan Henderson refereed by veteran Herb Dean. Now before I start my rant I would like to clarify a few things. I think Herb Dean is usually an excellent ref and he has made some of the best calls in the history of the sport including Tim Sylvia’s arm being broken vs. Frank Mir. Refereeing in MMA is one of the most difficult tasks required of any one man. You have to be at the exact angle to see the exact right thing and make a split millisecond judgement call that is of the highest magnitude based on only one angle and one second. Make the wrong call and ruin a fight and miss the call and ruin a fighters career and possibly have long lasting effects on that fighters health.

With all that being said I can’t stop feeling robbed as a fan from possibly one of the greatest fights in the history of Mixed Martial Arts. This fight had epic written all over it. They came out slugging and dropping bombs. All offense and it was a sheer pleasure to watch… Until.. Dan Henderson gets dropped, hits an amazing throw by from half guard and then lands a murderous uppercut from back side control. Fedor went flat belly down and Henderson started to go for the kill. At that moment Herb Dean stopped the contest. Before giving Fedor any chance to recover and defend – which he was clearly doing. Fedor has been in wars and is arguably the best heavyweight in MMA and he wasn’t given a shot that a first time UFC fighter would get. The ability to survive adversity. Terrible call and I am sure Herb feels like crap about it.
Do over? How do we fix this from happening? Can we stop it?
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I know most fighters opinions on stoppages don't carry much weight, but Fedor has proved himself to me to be very honest. Here below is what he had to say about the stoppage.

By [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] was stoic, as he always is, after losing to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] at Saturday night's [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] main event. But Fedor -- the mixed martial arts legend always known by one name -- was also upset.

Emelianenko, the man who looked invincible in the ring and in the cage for a decade, said after his third consecutive loss that he believes referee Herb Dean stopped the fight and awarded the technical knockout victory to Henderson too quickly.

Asked if he thought Dean -- who's widely regarded as the best referee in MMA -- made a mistake, Fedor answered in the affirmative.

"It seems to me, yes, objectively, I was ready to continue fighting," Fedor said. "So, yes."
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

The stoppage was 100% legit, he was out, Hendo woke him up....

Now Kitt sorry but one of your premise is BS

Quote:
On the other hand, both of his conquerors held significant size advantages over him, and the way the Werdum fight ended was so avoidable.
Size didn't had anything to do with either Werdum or Silva loss.

He got subbed within 2 min against Werdum, he though he hurt Werdum and got caught in a beautiful arm triangle. He made a big mistake when he got out of the first trianlge, he jumped right into Werdum guard again...he deserved to lose to Werdum, too ****y...

The Silva lost is the worst one IMO because Silva is a ****in can. His chin is soo ****in huge I still can't understand how he could have missed it...Oh yeah, that's right his striking was so ****in sloppy that my dead grand mother could have dodge it. When in the second round Silva timed the wild hook perfectly and took him down he deserved to get beat down like that.

The Hendo loss is the only one were I can say...well, anything can happen in MMA, shit happens. Props to Hendo to knock him out.

The other 2 losses are innacetpable for me and I wished he at least tried to avenge them...but not gonna happen. God killed Fedor. And I don't think Fedor is that past prime, his last fight against Rizzo proved that he is still fast and has precise striking ability. We havn't seen his ground game and TDD in his last 3 fight so...I can't say for his other ability.

And just to be sure...Fedor is my all time favorite fighter, my favorite fight are Fedor VS Big Nog 1 & 3 + Fedor VS CC
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Oh **** off. It was a great stoppage. Fedor went out, and Henderson's follow up punches woke him up. If Dean hadn't pulled Henderson off, Fedor would have eaten a bunch of unnecessary shots to the head.

On topic, it was a good win, but that was not prime Fedor. Hendo beat a guy who was maybe a top 15 HW. Impressive considering the weight disadvantage, but that's it.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
tri-pod
Balls
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 123

Quote:
I thought it was more the momentum of Henderson rolling Fedor off him that made him face plant.

Fedor also thought it was a very bad stoppage. Henderson was still throwing punches at Fedor when he spun back to fight him.

It was one of the quickest stoppages that I have ever seen. A fighter like Fedor deserved more of a chance then he was given.

Edit: I just rewatched the stoppage. I was wrong Fedor did not face plant from being rolled alone. It was caused by Henderson's weight on top of his back and a punch combined that made him face plant. You can see he was not hurt though when he spun his front to Henderson.
Terrible post.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG839-OoAsE[/ame]

How many unanswered punches while a guy is on his stomach not moving are acceptable before the ref pulls them off? You had about 3 or 4 there. His body weight dropped him? **** outta here.

I feel like I need to go to the General Forum to take a break from this retardation.
tri-pod is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Such a great brawl for as long as it lasted.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Fine stoppage.

Fedor was past his best but clearly very capable still. It's the other factors that make this a highly impressive win for Hendo:

-Hendo was smaller
-Hendo controlled Fedor against the cage
-Fedor's chin and powers of recovery have always been incredible
-Hendo had to work for the stoppage, sweep/reversal and place his shot under Fedor's arm

Dan Henderson knocked out a well-rounded, highly durable and resistant heavyweight contender. The fact is was Fedor Emilianenko does make it a better win.

As for Fedor's career afterward, a bit of both IMO. All 3 opponents were cynically picked but he showed he still could be disciplined and had retained his power. Hendo beating that man, who was picking apart journeymen, light heavyweights and past prime fighters, is still impressive as he did it so well.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #14
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

TKO 6 (and I agree with Flea Man)
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Such a great brawl for as long as it lasted.
Agreed, a real shame Fedor didn't spin round a second earlier and have a chance to recover and fight on. Was looking to be a classic.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum