Conn Dec. Loughran 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Conn versus Loughran

Prime Loughran vs. Conn at a 175 limit over 15 rounds. Two Irish-American slicksters with real heart. I don't think I've seen this one proposed before. I've watched what's commonly availble of Loughran and Conn. Both had great, fast feet and hands. Conn had a bit more clout than ever given credit for but still no one is getting KO'd in this one. Loughran is very underrated in my opinion. I'm sitting on the fence on this one right now.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Conn versus Loughran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Prime Loughran vs. Conn at a 175 limit over 15 rounds. Two Irish-American slicksters with real heart. I don't think I've seen this one proposed before. I've watched what's commonly availble of Loughran and Conn. Both had great, fast feet and hands. Conn had a bit more clout than ever given credit for but still no one is getting KO'd in this one. Loughran is very underrated in my opinion. I'm sitting on the fence on this one right now.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Two great LHs from the old sod. I have often thought of this matchup. Tommy Loughran had 172 bouts ,and Billy Conn 76 fights ,so Loughran
was much more tested. But based on the fact that Billy Conn was more fiery and aggressive than the more defensive minded Loughran, I'll go with
Billy Conn in a 15 round majority decision. I might be wrong though...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Two great LHs from the old sod. I have often thought of this matchup. Tommy Loughran had 172 bouts ,and Billy Conn 76 fights ,so Loughran
was much more tested. But based on the fact that Billy Conn was more fiery and aggressive than the more defensive minded Loughran, I'll go with
i agree with your assessment. i'd go with conn but i don't feel real confident in my pick. loughran is extremely underrated and an atg at 175.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This is a first..this matchup. Got to think about it..a purists delight I think.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Flip a coin.
Great pic btw. Good to see these two smiling Irishmen loving life.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

GREAT match up and like BBs analysis

movement is going to be off the charts in this one and the issues of ring generalship and timing will be key
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I see both of them neutralizing each other...honestly, i can't decide...two great Irish boxing masters.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Conn wins based on his more aggressive approach...He'd "do more" to win so to speak...But it'd be close as hell, and contested at a very high level. Loughran was essentially one handed, and still a stud. Just a great, great fighter.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

First guy I'd run to for his wisdom on fight doppin this en would be Johnny Ray.
Onna the best minds in the game no question.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Iīd take Loughran. Even when quite inexperienced there are arguments that he beat Gene Tunney who was in a similar class to Conn. Conn neve beat a lhw in that class - there only few though Tunney, Conn, Charles, Moore, Spinks - Conn would be a bit more aggressive but Loughran proved he could deal quite well with that against Walker and Tommy would have to worry less against Conn than about Tunney due to Connīs not so special power. On the otherhand Conn proved to be able to neutralize geat jabs against Louis, Loughran relied heavily on his jab. But then Tommy had one of the best jabīs ever, even better than Louisī, so would Conn be able to neutralize Loughranīs jab? I donīt think so. I think Loughran takes a close one due to his better footwork and his jab. Might be terribly wrong though.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Billy was robbed of his prime by the war and was brought along very-very quickly by Johnny Ray. Ideally he coudda been and even better fighter.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
My thoughts also Burt. And with all those you saw in person if you can say you might be wrong I certainly can also.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

My first thoughts on seeing a film of the Joe Louis-Billy Conn fight (years ago) was..he nearly beat Joe Louis...what lighhtheavy could ever threaten him? I still basically feel that way..and as masterful a defensive boxing whiz that Tommy Loughran was, and he was..I think Conn's natural quickness and intelligent aggression would have enabled him to take a close decision over Loughran.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
My first thoughts on seeing a film of the Joe Louis-Billy Conn fight (years ago) was..he nearly beat Joe Louis...what lighhtheavy could ever threaten him? I still basically feel that way..and as masterful a defensive boxing whiz that Tommy Loughran was, and he was..I think Conn's natural quickness and intelligent aggression would have enabled him to take a close decision over Loughran.
And that 23 yr old fighter that almost beat Joe weighed only 169 lbs
Never mind what Papa Mike Jacobs announced to the public.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAKKA View Post
And that 23 yr old fighter that almost beat Joe weighed only 169 lbs
Never mind what Papa Mike Jacobs announced to the public.
Billy Conn was in over his head from the beginning by his" brave " manager,ex fighter Johnny Ray. Billy as a kid idolized the truly immortal
Harry Greb. Conn NEVER fought as am amateur,but went straight into the pros at the tender age of 16. but TOUGH Billy survived and thrived and by age 18-19 beat the great veteran prime Fritzie Zivic, Babe Risko, Vince Dundee, Oscar Rankins, Teddy Yarosz,Solly Krieger,Young Corbett,etc.
Billy just a babe in the woods whipped all these champions. He was a great young middleweight, of whom a great boxing writer and columnist Frank Graham, a few years later said he would have loved to see young Billy Conn,against Ray Robinson at equal weights... But Conn filled out to about 166-70 pounds by 1939. He was at his best in 1939 beating the tough, tough southpaw Melio Bettina twice, rugged Gus Lesnevich twice
and destroyed the top underated Bob Pastor who kod the 18 pound heavier
murderous punching Lem Franklin. And soon after Conn at about One Hundred and Sixty Nine pounds ,gave the great Joe Louis all he could handle for 13 rounds. This is the Billy Conn that would have found a way to beat Roy Jones . No one except the THIRTY pound heavier Joe Louis kos a Billy Conn at near equal weights. No ONE.....Billy had what the OLD TIMERS called "bottom". Roy Jones as later events proved, did not.
burt bienstock is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum