Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #16
PaulieJ'z
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Top Five Greatest Fighters Ever

Prime Leonard is top 5 in my book. Although he lacks longevity, that 1980-81 version was something to behold.
PaulieJ'z is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #17
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 308

SRR
Greb
Armstrong

I feel comfortable with that, as for 4 and 5 it's more difficult because they can be switched around with 6-10, I feel like those 3 stand out the most and the rest are to close to call, for me at least.
Meazy-E is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120

No need 2 give d circus show era its accolades .
It was more corrupt and rigged than 2day .

Langford was caught having a fixed fight with Blackburn and it does not mean that he didn't have many others and that others had many others also .

WSJ was KOd and later stopped again as a pro , fought much smaller opponents most of d time .

Armstrong was KOd and later stopped again and then was carried by WSJ and only Peter North himself knows by how many more .

Greb had brittle fists , could not punch , was stopped twice and who knows how many fixed fights he had .

Duran was a foul fighter whom had his unfair share of cheats his own way .

My top 5 here r more due 2 what i have learned than in spite of what i have learned .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #19
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post

Langford was caught having a fixed fight with Blackburn and it does not mean that he didn't have many others and that others had many others also .

WSJ was KOd and later stopped again as a pro , fought much smaller opponents most of d time .

Armstrong was KOd and later stopped again and then was carried by WSJ and only Peter North himself knows by how many more .

Greb had brittle fists , could not punch , was stopped twice and who knows how many fixed fights he had .

My top 5 here r more due 2 what i have learned than in spite of what i have learned .
That does not mean Langford had all fixed fights, he was still quite dominant and a great fighter

For some reason I can seem to grasp but who is WSJ

Armstrong was a three weight champion and dominated those classes. A lot of champions and greats have been stopped, doesn't take away from the wins and their great feats.

Greb was stopped twice early career, and he had over 300 fights, was the only man to beat Tunney and was ducked by Dempsey, it's not fair to assume he had fixed fights and challenge his dignity without evidence.

Duran had his dirty moments, but he is a 4 division champion, dominated the LW division for about 7 years, beat prime Leonard, cameack from a nearly career ending move in No Mas, Went 15 great rounds with Hagler, won LMW title and MW title(at 37), also fought in 5 decades.
Meazy-E is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #20
Collie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 18000

Quote:

Who are your Top 5?
Collie is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #21
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie View Post
Who are your Top 5?
I thought about McCall , Tua , Toney , McCallum but could not decide about d 3rd / 5th .
Old 08-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #22
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meazy-E View Post
That does not mean Langford had all fixed fights, he was still quite dominant and a great fighter

For some reason I can seem to grasp but who is WSJ

Armstrong was a three weight champion and dominated those classes. A lot of champions and greats have been stopped, doesn't take away from the wins and their great feats.

Greb was stopped twice early career, and he had over 300 fights, was the only man to beat Tunney and was ducked by Dempsey, it's not fair to assume he had fixed fights and challenge his dignity without evidence.

Duran had his dirty moments, but he is a 4 division champion, dominated the LW division for about 7 years, beat prime Leonard, cameack from a nearly career ending move in No Mas, Went 15 great rounds with Hagler, won LMW title and MW title(at 37), also fought in 5 decades.
WSJ = Walker Smith Jr. "SRR" 2 some .

Not only was Greb stopped twice , was a known dirty fighter , u don't know many fixed fights he had , and still , who did he stop ?

Gene Tunney is vastly over8ed , d John Ruiz of his era , whom was in fact KOd by a washed up William Harrison in their rematch .
Tunney also avoided d blakkk threats .

Langford had everything : fixed fights , KO & TKO losses and lots of bums on his record .

I m convinced that David Izon & Fres Oquendo would have good enough 4 Jack Johnson 2 blatantly avoid .

Leo Gamez was a 4 divisions champion as well , DeLaHoya is a 6 divs "champ" , as is Pacquiao .
Old 08-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #23
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
WSJ = Walker Smith Jr. "SRR" 2 some .

Not only was Greb stopped twice , was a known dirty fighter , u don't know many fixed fights he had , and still , who did he stop ?

Gene Tunney is vastly over8ed , d John Ruiz of his era , whom was in fact KOd by a washed up William Harrison in their rematch .
Tunney also avoided d blakkk threats .

Langford had everything : fixed fights , KO & TKO losses and lots of bums on his record .

I m convinced that David Izon & Fres Oquendo would have good enough 4 Jack Johnson 2 blatantly avoid .

Leo Gamez was a 4 divisions champion as well , DeLaHoya is a 6 divs "champ" , as is Pacquiao .
You seem quite delusional considering who you have as top 5, but each has his own so I won't bash it. And it is not all about KO and KO percentage, Greb fought and never ducked anyone is 0 evidence to suggest his fights were fixed, along with Tunney is Loughran, Mickey Walker, Jimmy Slatery and Tommy Gibbons, all who he beat. Tunney was great and ahead of his time when it comes to boxing style, and he was not KO'd, Dempsey did not move to the neutral corner and thus the ref did not count. It was a new rule it happened deal with it, and who knows, maybe he was staying down to gather himself. And one known fixed fight, and being stopped does not make you bad. How you can put down Ray Robinson and Armstrong's careers is beyond me, take a look at their footage. Duran was dominant at LW and had all the skills to match it could use both hands, strong, fast, could take a hit, great d everything, then he moved up and had a fantastic career. Also at one point he was 72-1. He had longevity and fought everybody, and ought to age 50. Give me a break man, are you trolling or have you never seen any of them fight?
Meazy-E is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #24
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You seem quite delusional considering who you have as top 5, but each has his own so I won't bash it. And it is not all about KO and KO percentage, Greb fought and never ducked anyone is 0 evidence to suggest his fights were fixed, along with Tunney is Loughran, Mickey Walker, Jimmy Slatery and Tommy Gibbons, all who he beat. Tunney was great and ahead of his time when it comes to boxing style, and he was not KO'd, Dempsey did not move to the neutral corner and thus the ref did not count. It was a new rule it happened deal with it, and who knows, maybe he was staying down to gather himself. And one known fixed fight, and being stopped does not make you bad. How you can put down Ray Robinson and Armstrong's careers is beyond me, take a look at their footage. Duran was dominant at LW and had all the skills to match it could use both hands, strong, fast, could take a hit, great d everything, then he moved up and had a fantastic career. Also at one point he was 72-1. He had longevity and fought everybody, and ought to age 50. Give me a break man, are you trolling or have you never seen any of them fight?
McCall TKOd Lewis in 2 , KOd Akinwande in 10 , Maskaev in 1 , stopped d over8ed by some Seldon & Damiani as well , beat a much bigger and 7 years younger Lance Whitaker , soundly beat David Jaco , outpointed Jesse Fergusson and n 8 yrs younger Fres Oquendo . Outpointed d 10 years younger Franklin Lawrence whom is currently ranked #11 @ HW and was on a 3 stoppges winning streak prior , and 5 stoppages winning streak since .

Who knows if McCall deserved 2 lose any of his fights vs Tony Tucker , Orlin Norris , Mike Hunter & Joey Christjohn (4 rds dec) and maybe a few more ?

McCall lost 2 close competitive fights 2 Frank Bruno & James Douglas .
Him being noncompetitive vs Bruno 4 a couple of rds , does not mean he was noncompetitive 4d entire fight .

Lewis #2 should mean nothing 2u if u know anything about Lewis' / McCall's history .

McCall was dragged out of rehab institute when & where he signed d contract 4d fight , but still actually gave Lewis all he could handle until d withdrawal syndrome came in2 play .

Tua was on top of d heap during his time , stoppages over Maskaev , Ruiz , Oquendo , Izon , Darroll Wilson , Dannell Nicholson .

decisions over Cisse Salif , Robert Hawkins , Jeff Wooden .

A draw with Hasim Rahman and actually with Byrd & Ibeabuchi as well , if not deserving a close verdict over Ibeabuchi .

Tua's fight with Lewis was also much closer than given credit 4 .

Should I repeat Toney's & McCallum's careers ?

Sure I M delusional ?

WSJ = SNV minus 10 inches in height and 170 lbs in weight , but still vs severely undersized , sometimes severely past their primes and many times also vastly over8ed and simply never that good 2 begin with opponents as well , and hence d additional athleticism .
Old 08-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #25
Collie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I thought about McCall , Tua , Toney , McCallum but could not decide about d 3rd / 5th .
The title is the five greatest fighters ever, not your five personal favourites.
Collie is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #26
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
McCall TKOd Lewis in 2 , KOd Akinwande in 10 , Maskaev in 1 , stopped d over8ed by some Seldon & Damiani as well , beat a much bigger and 7 years younger Lance Whitaker , soundly beat David Jaco , outpointed Jesse Fergusson and n 8 yrs younger Fres Oquendo . Outpointed d 10 years younger Franklin Lawrence whom is currently ranked #11 @ HW and was on a 3 stoppges winning streak prior , and 5 stoppages winning streak since .

Who knows if McCall deserved 2 lose any of his fights vs Tony Tucker , Orlin Norris , Mike Hunter & Joey Christjohn (4 rds dec) and maybe a few more ?

McCall lost 2 close competitive fights 2 Frank Bruno & James Douglas .
Him being noncompetitive vs Bruno 4 a couple of rds , does not mean he was noncompetitive 4d entire fight .

Lewis #2 should mean nothing 2u if u know anything about Lewis' / McCall's history .

McCall was dragged out of rehab institute when & where he signed d contract 4d fight , but still actually gave Lewis all he could handle until d withdrawal syndrome came in2 play .

Tua was on top of d heap during his time , stoppages over Maskaev , Ruiz , Oquendo , Izon , Darroll Wilson , Dannell Nicholson .

decisions over Cisse Salif , Robert Hawkins , Jeff Wooden .

A draw with Hasim Rahman and actually with Byrd & Ibeabuchi as well , if not deserving a close verdict over Ibeabuchi .

Tua's fight with Lewis was also much closer than given credit 4 .

Should I repeat Toney's & McCallum's careers ?

Sure I M delusional ?

WSJ = SNV minus 10 inches in height and 170 lbs in weight , but still vs severely undersized , sometimes severely past their primes and many times also vastly over8ed and simply never that good 2 begin with opponents as well , and hence d additional athleticism .
Hmmm, yeah delusional, we are talking 5 greatest p4p. You are choosing them just to seem cool and different/You are saying that those 5 are better than
SRR
Armstrong
Greb
Pep
Langford
Gans
Duran
Benny Leonard
SRL
Monzon
Napoles
Hagler
Hearns
Charles
Moore
Jersey Walcott
Barbados Walcott
Marciano
Jack Johnson
Tunney
Dempsey
Louis
Lewis
Holyfield
Holmes
Ali
Frazier
Foreman
Pryer
Conn
Liston
Patterson
Schmeling
Ortiz
Arguello
Jack
Williams
Sadler
Ketchel
Sanchez
Griffith
Chavez
Whitaker
ODLH
Etc. Etc. Etc. YES YOU ARE DELUSIONAL

Btw not my list and not in any order just an example
Meazy-E is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #27
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Hmmm, yeah delusional, we are talking 5 greatest p4p. You are saying that those 5 are better than
SRR
Armstrong
Greb
Pep
Langford
Gans
Duran
Benny Leonard
SRL
Monzon
Napoles
Hagler
Hearns
Charles
Moore
Jersey Walcott
Barbados Walcott
Marciano
Jack Johnson
Tunney
Dempsey
Louis
Lewis
Holyfield
Holmes
Ali
Frazier
Foreman
Liston
Patterson
Schmeling
Ortiz
Arguello
Jack
Williams
Sadler
Ketchel
Sanchez
Griffith
Chavez
Whitaker
ODLH
si , y mucho mas

Quote:
Etc. Etc. Etc. YES YOU ARE DELUSIONAL

Btw not my list and not in any order just an example
no , but u r just another lufcrazy / McGrain / TheGreatA / oriray / teeto compatible .

u lack them egs n kok
Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #28
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Vakhtang Darchinyan >>>>>>>>>>>>> Max Schmelling
Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #29
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie View Post
The title is the five greatest fighters ever, not your five personal favourites.
I was fully aware of it
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #30
Collie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I was fully aware of it
That's the sad thing!

For what it's worth, my list. Although it's hard to know exactly where to place each

1. SRR (thats the easy one for me)
2. Armstrong
3. Greb
4. Pep
5. Langford

Although that order could change pretty easily
Collie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum