Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Anthony Joshua staying Amateur for Rio 2016?!

Maybe he knows, deep down, he was a tad fortunate to get that Gold and feels he needs to work on a few bits.
glue glove is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsbry View Post
haha Rio's only 4 yrs away why stay amateur for another 3 years & not box for another Olympic medal
He won't. 3 years I said was tops. He was extremely lucky to win a medal this time round and going into another Olympics 4 years later gives him no guarantee of winning another, which could hurt his financial offers significantly if he does not win any anything less than gold.

Also, it makes no sense. There is no advantage of gaining another medal. He does not need four years of amateur experience as all he'll be escalating towards is the pinnacle of what he has just achieved. 2 years of experience before going into pro's is what I expect.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #18
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
He won't. 3 years I said was tops. He was extremely lucky to win a medal this time round and going into another Olympics 4 years later gives him no guarantee of winning another, which could hurt his financial offers significantly if he does not win any anything less than gold.

Also, it makes no sense. There is no advantage of gaining another medal. He does not need four years of amateur experience as all he'll be escalating towards is the pinnacle of what he has just achieved. 2 years of experience before going into pro's is what I expect.
There might be no benefit as you put it but do you honestly think if he were to stay amateur for 3 years he wouldn't want to go for gold again? And become the 1st double Olympic champion from Britain? It's naive to think he'd stay am for 3 years then turn pro instantly rather than wait. As Mand rightly said before, he's very young in terms of Heavyweights so as long as financially he's ok, there's no rush for him. With the change in Amateur rules too, he'd hardly be damaging his future pro career by doing so either.

He's already a decorated amateur; that will never change. It's all about what more he wishes to achieve and win. He has all the time in the world to go pro so I wouldn't be shocked to see him at Rio. Up to his personal ambition.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
There might be no benefit as you put it but do you honestly think if he were to stay amateur for 3 years he wouldn't want to go for gold again? And become the 1st double Olympic champion from Britain? It's naive to think he'd stay am for 3 years then turn pro instantly rather than wait. As Mand rightly said before, he's very young in terms of Heavyweights so as long as financially he's ok, there's no rush for him. With the change in Amateur rules too, he'd hardly be damaging his future pro career by doing so either.

He's already a decorated amateur; that will never change. It's all about what more he wishes to achieve and win. He has all the time in the world to go pro so I wouldn't be shocked to see him at Rio. Up to his personal ambition.
If he did stay amateur for 3 years, I could see him turning pro, despite the Olympics being one year away from then. We can't predict when he will, of course, but things happen, financial offers are brought forward and the risk/reward factor is brought into place.

There may be a benefit in becoming a double champion, but that's no guarantee. He was lucky to win here on home turf and it's no certainty that he'll win in Rio. Like you have said though, it's down to his personal ambition. I think Joshua will understand that he was fortunate to win a medal the first time and that two years of solid experience will be enough rather than wait four years and take the risk. Also, in peoples eyes, anything less than gold from Joshua the second time round will be seen as a disappointment.

He'd be 26, I think, at the time of Rio 2016. While that's pretty young, I'd like to think turning pro at 24 is a mature age for him to start making the transition. I just don't see him waiting personally, but we'll see. It's down to his own understanding of where he thinks he should be and where he is at.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
L.J.KEYS.
C♯ Sharp or B♭ Flat
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
This is how I feel. Even if he doesn't win the Worlds, the casuals won't care but if he does then it'll only help.

Ideal scenario for them is:

Joshua has another year development without scrutiny in the AMs. Goes to worlds and wins. McCracken and Joshua leave the AMs and join Eddie on Sky. Rob has Olympic and World AM champs - is the best UK AM trainer ever (ish). Froch will be on the way out and Eddie/Rob can develop a 'less raw' Joshua fully.

Should he not win the worlds, so what. Casuals won't know about it but at least he will have had another year of unobserved development under McCracken.
yeh this
L.J.KEYS. is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
If he did stay amateur for 3 years, I could see him turning pro, despite the Olympics being one year away from then. We can't predict when he will, of course, but things happen, financial offers are brought forward and the risk/reward factor is brought into place.

There may be a benefit in becoming a double champion, but that's no guarantee. He was lucky to win here on home turf and it's no certainty that he'll win in Rio. Like you have said though, it's down to his personal ambition. I think Joshua will understand that he was fortunate to win a medal the first time and that two years of solid experience will be enough rather than wait four years and take the risk. Also, in peoples eyes, anything less than gold from Joshua the second time round will be seen as a disappointment.

He'd be 26, I think, at the time of Rio 2016. While that's pretty young, I'd like to think turning pro at 24 is a mature age for him to start making the transition. I just don't see him waiting personally, but we'll see. It's down to his own understanding of where he thinks he should be and where he is at.
Of course, we can't predict what he will decide to do but I actually think Rio might be a good idea for him. He might not win gold but we've all seen the massive hype afforded to defending gold medallists in other sports like Ohourugu or Adlington for example. They never defended their title but even just competing gave them huge exposure again. I honestly think even a medal would be seen as success and wouldn't financially harm him. In fact, given the extra spotlight on the Olympics, turning pro as a 2016 bronze medallist may be even more opportune than as a 2013 World champion because it will be a more recognizable achievement to the general public.

And who's to say he won't improve greatly and be a big favourite for gold in 4 years time. That's a distinct possibility IMO. Once again it depends on him and what he feels is right but I wouldn't rule out Rio.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #22
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

He will know he won't get gifts like in London 2012, he'll be pro in no time.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #23
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

staying am is advice from people with a vested interest in team gb, boxing is for money so go make some.
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #24
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

He has got all the experience he needs from his amateur career, world Championships & Olympics etc

People keep banging on about........"He's only been boxing for 4 years"....as if he is some teenager who is still developing physically.

He's a grown adult, and by the looks of it.....Looks like one of these freaks who has went through puberty early in life.

In 4 years time as a amateur, he may have tightened up his defence, he may not be standing so square on, he may have a better jab.

But that's about it! I honestly don't know what people are expecting to happen.

He can improve all these attributes while he is professional, their is no rush.

He will disappear off the radar if he stays amateur, until 2016! because nobody gives a shit about amateur boxing.....

Where's the amateur boxing forum on here..? Nowhere, because nobody gives a shit. Apart from the Olympics nobody cares...

He needs to strike now, while he is hot.

"He's big, he's strong, he's not that fast! But he is fast enough! he has grasped the fundamentals just about! Throw him in the Lions den!!!"....
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
sosolid4u09
4 8 15 16 23 42
East Side Guru

Quote:

if he's willing to wait three more years, I see no reason why he wouldn't wait one more and go for gold in Rio. It would be pretty stupid of him not to if he's already waited 3 years.

I think he'll wait 2 more years then turn pro, which is pretty clever imo
sosolid4u09 is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
Anthrax

He looked as basic as it gets at world level in the Olympics, he needs a good few more years under his belt before he even considers turning pro. His size and 'speed' won't count for shit in the pro game.
Anthrax is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #27
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
He looked as basic as it gets at world level in the Olympics, he needs a good few more years under his belt before he even considers turning pro. His size and 'speed' won't count for shit in the pro game.
What speed..? He has average foot and hand speed.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #28
mbrockett
ESB voyeur
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
He has got all the experience he needs from his amateur career, world Championships & Olympics etc

People keep banging on about........"He's only been boxing for 4 years"....as if he is some teenager who is still developing physically.

He's a grown adult, and by the looks of it.....Looks like one of these freaks who has went through puberty early in life.

In 4 years time as a amateur, he may have tightened up his defence, he may not be standing so square on, he may have a better jab.

But that's about it! I honestly don't know what people are expecting to happen.

He can improve all these attributes while he is professional, their is no rush.

He will disappear off the radar if he stays amateur, until 2016! because nobody gives a shit about amateur boxing.....

Where's the amateur boxing forum on here..? Nowhere, because nobody gives a shit. Apart from the Olympics nobody cares...

He needs to strike now, while he is hot.

"He's big, he's strong, he's not that fast! But he is fast enough! he has grasped the fundamentals just about! Throw him in the Lions den!!!"....
Correct 100%
mbrockett is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #29
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Swollocks View Post
He will know he won't get gifts like in London 2012, he'll be pro in no time.
Not really. He did get a gift and everyone on here has said so, but he didn't get a gift in the final of the Worlds when he lost by 1 point to the home town fighter. I felt he did enough to win that, but it was close and no issue with the result.

He is not some delusional or arrogant individual and nor does he lack self belief. I don't think for a second that he will worry he hasn't got what it takes to work hard for 12 months and go into the worlds agains the likes of Savon and compete with them without needing gifts.

Savon got beaten comfortably and dropped by the guy that Joshua narrowly lost to in last years Worlds. Joshua will believe that he can improve and that he has what it takes to do far better against Savon and to hurt him.

He should stay amateur as he needs to improve a lot and having him turn pro and just knock over hand picked cans to cash in on the gold is not a good plan for his career.

He has ability, although as I've said before I don't really get the level of excitement in some quarters as I don't actually see a single attribute that is hugely impressive, rather a collection of decent attributes given that he is such a novice and some obvious physical advantages.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #30
FCB

A certain promoter is urging him to turn professional in his newspaper column.
FCB is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum