Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. 107 50.95%
Roberto "Manos De Piedra" Duran 103 49.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #346
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd or Duran - Most skilled?

People are showing that they don't really know boxing skill when they see it, actually. Duran was as good as Floyd defensively, he was better offensively, and he was in a different league at integrating the two. He's the best ever in that regard.

Floyd's brilliant. He's ****ing spectacular. Duran's maybe the most skilled guy we have on film though, and not even Mayweather is that good.
the cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #347
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
People are showing that they don't really know boxing skill when they see it, actually. Duran was as good as Floyd defensively, he was better offensively, and he was in a different league at integrating the two. He's the best ever in that regard.

Floyd's brilliant. He's ****ing spectacular. Duran's maybe the most skilled guy we have on film though, and not even Mayweather is that good.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #348
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

I can't stand idiots who don't think it takes a lot of skill to be an aggressive fighter who comes forward. It takes a lot of skill to cut off the ring, roll with and slip shots, fight on the inside, place your punches well, etc...

Of course, that style was just one of the styles in which Duran was effective. He could be effective at different ranges and different styles. I agree that he was perhaps the best ever at mixing offense and defense effectively. Some of the sequences in the last 2 fights with DeJesus in which he did that were beautiful.

Would you say Floyd is the most skilled since Whitaker?
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #349
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
I can't stand idiots who don't think it takes a lot of skill to be an aggressive fighter who comes forward. It takes a lot of skill to cut off the ring, roll with and slip shots, fight on the inside, place your punches well, etc...

Of course, that style was just one of the styles in which Duran was effective. He could be effective at different ranges and different styles.

Would you say Floyd is the most skilled since Whitaker?
So many people see a guy slip a series of punches and think it's the most difficult, most impressive thing ever. They see the same guy feint his way inside, trap his opponent on the ropes, create his own openings, land a combination and all they have to say is, "oh he's so ferocious!" You'd think offensive skill would be more appreciated than defensive, but whatever.

On pure technical skills, I think I'd have Hopkins above Mayweather, but he's certainly right there in the mix for the top spot since Pea.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #350
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

wasn't aware that Duran is Duran + SRL or Duran + Mayweather.

Shocked to find out how he even lose with his offense and defensive brilliance.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #351
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Garrus had it closed at a pre-determined date.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #352
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
wasn't aware that Duran is Duran + SRL or Duran + Mayweather.

Shocked to find out how he even lose with his offense and defensive brilliance.
You learn something new everyday, tiliang, ya miserable bastard.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #353
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP

vCash: 571

Quote:
So many people see a guy slip a series of punches and think it's the most difficult, most impressive thing ever. They see the same guy feint his way inside, trap his opponent on the ropes, create his own openings, land a combination and all they have to say is, "oh he's so ferocious!" You'd think offensive skill would be more appreciated than defensive, but whatever.

On pure technical skills, I think I'd have Hopkins above Mayweather, but he's certainly right there in the mix for the top spot since Pea.
And Mayweather can be a brilliant offensive fighter in his own right. You dont make a career out of beating guys who outweigh you by 10lbs basef on soley defense

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You can watch a Mayweather fight 10 times and still go back and find some technically brilliant thing he did it you didnt notice before
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #354
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

Glad the debate within you is settled.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #355
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
He lost when he fought ATG welterweights and middleweights in their primes. The guy stood up to a full fledged assault from middleweight power-punching Iran Barkley, and won.

Meanwhile the only greats Floyd have beaten are a bloated, old Marquez, old Mosley and De La Hoya.

I'm not one to slate Mayweather and constantly place Duran on some mythical pedestal, but he was more varied and skilled than Floyd.
It's not even very close. But, of course, you have his virtuoso performances against Judah, N'Dou, Baldomir, etc. To go on whilst we have virtuoso performances over Leonard, Buchanan, Marcel, DeJesus, etc.
Just bc Floyd makes it look easy doesn't mean his opponents sucks. Just bc Floyd is able to dominate his rivals while going up in weight and Duran didn't, doesn't mean you should throw a hissy fit. Durans has lost to b-level fighters as well as A level.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #356
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
And Mayweather can be a brilliant offensive fighter in his own right. You dont make a career out of beating guys who outweigh you by 10lbs basef on soley defense

You can watch a Mayweather fight 10 times and still go back and find some technically brilliant thing he did it you didnt notice before
I know. I like Floyd. He's phenomenal. I'm not trying to disparage him at all, I'm just saying Duran was more skilled, flat out. That's no slight on Floyd as Duran is one of the very, very few guys in history who has a serious case for being the most skilled boxer ever.

Old, fat, shopworn Lightweights don't beat prime Middleweight titlists by just being ferocious.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hands of Iron

Glad the debate within you is settled.
It wasn't ever much of a debate, to be honest. Nard's still 2nd best though.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #357
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

It seems as if some people just think a guy who is aggressive and comes forward is like Rocky, a punching bag, and think to have "skills", they get images of guys like Ali and Leonard dancing around the ring and fighting from the outside (nevermind that they had MUCH more to their games than that and Leonard was more effective in a different style). I'm gonna pick on Khan again and use him as an example. He's fast and sometimes moves around the ring and people say he's "skilled" and has "good footwork"

I see that with Chavez too. His skills often get underrated because he so often came forward and applied pressure. He cut off the ring well, placed his combos well, stayed low and slipped/rolled with shots effectively. He could fight in other manners too, he spent like 95% of the Lockridge fight boxing on the backfoot and using lateral movement.

Floyd is extremely skilled and technically sound. When I see him make some fundamental mistakes, I often notice it's a trap and by design. He leaves his left hand low more often against shorter fighters to try to bait them. He goes back in a straight line to the ropes, and that's often to sucker a guy in (Hatton). I do think he goes to the ropes or gets trapped there a little too much, although he is effective fighting off the ropes.

When he's in a more offensive mode though, he's not as good at incorporating his defense as Duran. In the exchanges, he leaves himself open and often his chin is in the air. Duran was better at mixing both offense and defense at the same time...throwing a combo, slipping and ducking the retaliation, and then coming back again with some offense. It isn't difficult to see when watching their fights that Duran was better in the exchanges at incorporating both offense and defense.

Floyd's an expert and nullifying his opponent's output though. He (usually) hits hard enough to get his opponent's respect and worry about what is coming back when he firing at Floyd. Floyd then controls the pace and tempo.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #358
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I know. I like Floyd. He's phenomenal. I'm not trying to disparage him at all, I'm just saying Duran was more skilled, flat out. That's no slight on Floyd as Duran is one of the very, very few guys in history who has a serious case for being the most skilled boxer ever.

Old, fat, shopworn Lightweights don't beat prime Middleweight titlists by just being ferocious.

It wasn't ever much of a debate, to be honest. Nard's still 2nd best though.
You need to up your perscriptions.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #359
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahurath View Post
I know it's hard for some people to admit it but boxing has evolved ALOT since durans day.

It has devolved.

The all-around talent pool is weaker. Floyd is one of the few great fighters out there now who would be successful in better eras like the 70s and 80s.

For crying out loud, Victor Ortiz was considered the 3rd best WW when Floyd beat him. I knew that at age 34, coming off over a year of inactivity, that Floyd would still handle him with relative ease because he is that much better than the likes of Ortiz and Berto. Floyd actually has real top-notch technical skills in addition to athleticism/speed.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #360
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by tiliang1000
You need to up your perscriptions.
20/18, but thanks.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum