Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: In your analysis. How did SRL beat , Benitez , Duran , Hagler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejevan View Post
Leonard, in his biography, apparently chose to rematch Duran immediately because of the well documented habit of Duran of gaining weights in between fight, similar to Ricky Hatton.
Someone that has done some research on the party habits of Duran. Very Good .
More than likely Duran was suffering stomach cramps in the second fight from rapid weight loss. Thyroid tablets were a commonly used weight loss trick at the time.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

He cherrypicked Duran and Hagler at the right times. Benitez didn't train.
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melo9100 View Post
You keep going on and on about my age. Which is irrelevant. The fights are there for every one to see. Your nothing but a dick rider. Using tittles like Atg. Gtfoh. Overrating These dudes to the point that its just pathetic. Just look at the fights. Hagler is so great. Yet he let Srl run around the ring for 2:30 of each round. Then throw a flurry. Do you honestly think Floyd couldn't pull that off? Lol Benitez can't get past a jab. And he couldn't he hit Srl. How is he going to beat Floyd. Lol I mean really. Srl just out jabbed him the whole fight. I know for a fact Floyd can do that. And its the same thing with duran. It's not about how good you think these dudes are its how they have been beat. And size didn't play a role in these fights. Therefore I know Floyd could pick these guys apart. Now tommy hearns is a diffrent story.
I don't even need to come back at you with this one.Since you want to start getting nasty about it all I'll say is that is one of the most embarrassing posts I've ever read.It speaks entirely for itself.
You genuinely know absolutely **** all about boxing.
Incidentally,when all the fighters were at their peak,how did Tommy fare against them?
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
melo9100
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
I don't even need to come back at you with this one.Since you want to start getting nasty about it all I'll say is that is one of the most embarrassing posts I've ever read.It speaks entirely for itself.
You genuinely know absolutely **** all about boxing.
Incidentally,when all the fighters were at their peak,how did Tommy fare against them?
Are u stupid? Didn't I say it was about how guys have been beat. Hagler , benitez , and duran have been beat in ways that I believe Floyd can Replicate. Hearns , not so much.
melo9100 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Are u stupid? Didn't I say it was about how guys have been beat. Hagler , benitez , and duran have been beat in ways that I believe Floyd can Replicate. Hearns , not so much.
And where did I say Benitez beats Floyd?
You asked how Ray beat the guys you mentioned.You were told,but you couldn't hide what you really meant.
For the record,I've always said Floyd would be a terrible style for Duran,and I haven't said that Ray would do anything other than beat Floyd,because that is my opinion,but in the tradition of immature posters,you get into name calling despite the fact you are the one showing yourself up.You're using me for your rant when I haven't even said half the things you're crying about.
Now if you don't stop that potty mouth I'll use your nonsensical posting from the last few days (i.e "you overrate these guys because they're ATGs)All I've said is that I think Ray is better than Floyd and would have enough to beat him.You've came on humiliating yourself and you've even started on Hagler.
You call me a dick rider without noticing the irony of your own fangirl love and complete loss of rational and credibility.
I've tried to be civil but Im afraid I'll have to ask you to leave the sensible discussions to the adults.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
tito44
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He did not beat Hagler.
tito44 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

He beat Duran and Hagler psychologically, though I still think Marvin won the fight.

Ray might have always beaten Benitez, but maybe not. Wilfred claims he didn't train. And Ray was lucky that Benitez got cut early.

Really, Benitez deserved a rematch, but Ray was on a march towards Duran, Hearns, etc.., What would have happened a second time is hard to say, but I think it's safe to assume that Benitez would try a bit harder.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Listen, maybe its you that`s doing the overrating (in floyds favour) because if you knew about these guys you`d know that every single one of them would be favourites to beat floyd, not because floyd is not talented but because they are bigger AND talented AND have proved it vs better fighters.

Yes, Leonard used movement vs Duran & Hagler... but he also had to trade as well, these guys were not mugs that could be picked apart for 12 rounds & outskilled like Baldomir, SRL knew he would need to fight at some point & vs Duran & Hagler that is not a good thing... by sticking & moving whenever possible, Ray is building points in the best way possible to = a win.

SRL tried to outfight Duran in the first fight but found out that in his own words `Duran is for real` he had to use movement in the rematch, it would be suicide not to judging by their first fight.

As for Hagler, well, no explaination needed as to why Ray boxed & moved, Hagler was the bigger, stronger guy, there was no way he was beating Hagler in a firefight, simple.

Benitez ?... well, he was a boxer master, a defensive wizard, a counterpuncher, Ray boxed from distance beautifully, fighting flatfooted but letting his speed & power do the damage while refusing to rush in & let Benitez be at his best (counterpunching & slipping punches)... Leonard boxed beautifully, nothing else to say really.
Spot on
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
melo9100
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 690

Quote:
And where did I say Benitez beats Floyd?
You asked how Ray beat the guys you mentioned.You were told,but you couldn't hide what you really meant.
For the record,I've always said Floyd would be a terrible style for Duran,and I haven't said that Ray would do anything other than beat Floyd,because that is my opinion,but in the tradition of immature posters,you get into name calling despite the fact you are the one showing yourself up.You're using me for your rant when I haven't even said half the things you're crying about.
Now if you don't stop that potty mouth I'll use your nonsensical posting from the last few days (i.e "you overrate these guys because they're ATGs)All I've said is that I think Ray is better than Floyd and would have enough to beat him.You've came on humiliating yourself and you've even started on Hagler.
You call me a dick rider without noticing the irony of your own fangirl love and complete loss of rational and credibility.
I've tried to be civil but Im afraid I'll have to ask you to leave the sensible discussions to the adults.
Maybe you should read the original thread the thread isn't about Floyd vs Srl. Which I made clear. It's about somebody who made a thread about how Srl is more skilled than Floyd. And that Floyd doesn't have the skill to beat these particular guys from Ray's resume.. I then stated that if people stop over rating guys because of their "ATG" Status and actually look at their fights. Specifically the way they have been beat. They would then see how retarded it is to say Floyd can't beat them. And I called you names because you came with the same generic bullshit you spit out in every Srl thread. I really don't know what the **** your talking about. It has nothing to do with the topic. Which is why I'm cursing you out. Everyone else responded correctly. Rather they agreed with me or disagreed. So you can save that "dick riding" legend / ATG bullshit for Ray's biography.

And i don't. Even like Floyd. Check my past threads and my avatar. I'm just speaking the truth.
melo9100 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #25
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 651

There are guys who just win. Ray Leonard was one of those guys. I don't think that's the answer anyone wants, but I think it's a factor.

First of all Ray Leonard had the one thing that probby off sets skills/ability/talent. That is speed and power. Keep in mind that Leonard a champion at 147 won a championship at 168 by knockout. He's also one of the smartest men to ever step inside a boxing ring.

In his first bout with Duran which Duran got the decision. Leonard went toe to toe, and stayed step with Duran. In the second fight Leonard changd his game plan and out boxed/beat the shit out of Duran. He beat Duran into quitting by not engaging Duran in the kind of fight he wanted.

Leonard's wins over both Benitez & Hearns came down in my opinion to Leonard's speed and power. I think it would have been more than reasonable to pick either Benitez or Hearns over Leonard leading up to those bouts

His win over Hagler is the most intresting the rest of Leonard's wins in this diccusion are clear cut wins. This one is not. Most people who have seen the fight have it a t 7-5 for either Leonard or Hagler. What is impresive is that he won the fight after not being in the ring for almost 3 years. For those who say Leonard waited for Hagler to get old. Keep in mind that Mugabi was the kind of middleweight who could give anyone hell.
Leonard's win over Hagler in and of its self is not all that impresive, but hen you consider that Hagler was the top middleweight of his time, and was heavely favored. It is a prety impresive win for Leonard.
In this case Leonerd's ring smarts won him the fight. He fought in the right spots usualy at the end of the rounds whennit's easier for the judges to rember what he did in that round.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #26
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Leonard won because he had years of amateur experience, he knew how to get a W, and he had god given talent to pull it off.

Props to the SR of our generation
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #27
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I can tell you why.Because he had a deeper well and a better understanding of psychology than anyone else.Why is it so hard for you to accept that Ray has the edge over Floyd? I'm a Floyd fan,but I've seen both(although I was only old enough to see Ray's second phase whilst really understanding the game,and that's not represntative of his peak) and the main reason you'll never know just how great Floyd really is is because he's never faced the level of adversity or opponent that Ray did.It could well be that he did have enough,but we'll never know.
He beat Benitez by being first to the punch,and not being drawn into Benitez' countering traps by following up his attacks with movement.He beat Duran by getting inside his head,dancing around as if he was in training and the bottom line is,it worked.He beat Hagler by using a strategy of trying to catch the judges eye with impressive flurries at the tail end of every round.He did whatever it took to get the job done.

I'm not saying Floyd isn't an ATG or one of the most skilled and able fighters I've seen.I just think Ray would have enough to beat him.Why are all these young fans unable to accept that there were great fighters before 2000?
Quote:
Maybe you should read the original thread the thread isn't about Floyd vs Srl. Which I made clear. It's about somebody who made a thread about how Srl is more skilled than Floyd. And that Floyd doesn't have the skill to beat these particular guys from Ray's resume.. I then stated that if people stop over rating guys because of their "ATG" Status and actually look at their fights. Specifically the way they have been beat. They would then see how retarded it is to say Floyd can't beat them. And I called you names because you came with the same generic bullshit you spit out in every Srl thread. I really don't know what the **** your talking about. It has nothing to do with the topic. Which is why I'm cursing you out. Everyone else responded correctly. Rather they agreed with me or disagreed. So you can save that "dick riding" legend / ATG bullshit for Ray's biography.

And i don't. Even like Floyd. Check my past threads and my avatar. I'm just speaking the truth.
Seems we have a reading comprehension problem here.The only one I said I didn't think Floyd could beat was Ray(and obviously Hagler) You seem to have missed the top two paragraphs of my first post in the thread where I clearly answered the question.If I can help you again or improve your limited boxing knowledge just give me a shout.
Reading comes first though.One of the most essential skills and you should really get a proper grasp on it.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #28
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
And what kind of versatility/skill did he display in winning?

Because I personally believe he only beat them because of his speed. He Ran from Duran hagler. Throwing out a quick. Jab and a flurry every now and then. Benitez is so overrated on Esb he literally got beat with just a jab.

I'm posting this because of a thread I read today. Someone says Srl is more skilled than Floyd. And that he'd have no chance against these dudes. Which is stupid. When people stop overrating so called legends. And actually look at the fights. The way these guys have been beaten It's ignorant to say Floyd can't beat them. I know for a fact Floyd could run around the ring throwing flurries all night.
And who said he'd have no chance against Duran or Benitez? Certainly wasn't me flower.
Big fan of Duran but Floyd has a style which is perfect for giving Duran big problems.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito44 View Post
He did not beat Hagler.
I think he did... but either way it was a close fight & close fights shouldn`t be classed as robberies... the way Hagler has sulked over this fight for 25 years is pathetic tbh... he even has his fans doing his crying for him (not necessarily you, I just mean in general)
Bill Butcher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum