Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Sparring [Video]

Recorded myself sparring for the first time to look for areas to improve on. I'm usually the aggressor and constantly move forward when I spar, but I tend to freeze up and take shots when the other guy presses forward. So today I decided work on a) let the other guy come forward and try to block/counter and b) keep my distance as he comes in. This guy has gotten bloody noses and dropped from body shots when sparring other guys, so he always asks me to go light before we spar. I'm in the black headgear.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wAB8L3nOHc[/ame]

Some things I want to work on the next time I spar:
-Don't move straight back. Pivot and punch back instead of just blocking/moving back
-Keep my left hand higher up than where I normally hold it
-Be more aggressive when against the ropes instead of just blocking/ducking
-Be more aggressive when I have him up against the ropes
-Double/triple up the jab
-Try to throw/land more combos
-Throw more body shots
-More feints/head movement/slips/bobbing and weaving

Any other suggestions?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
allenko1
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sparring [Video]

I think you put it all in. Most people who start training and have only sparred a few times look sloppy. You really did good. Just got to keep at it and know it doesn't come overnight...
allenko1 is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 400

don't forgot to relax more
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

forget learning the list you have wrote ,,,,try to learn 2 or 3 things for about 4 weeks let the brain learn what your trying to teach it for it to become instinct you have to do the some thing over & over again,,once you flow with the moves in sparring ,then you can try something else

if i was to train you this is my advise ,,,,,

the lad in video looks good enough to learn with,,have a chat before you sparr about practicing the rounds below (6 x 2min)

round 1 & 2 -- hes the infighter pushing you back to ropes ,you do not punch only ,,move - block - bob - slip,,,,, then change your the infighter

round 3 & 4 -- the same as above but the outfighter counters the infighter punches

round 5 & 6 --2 rounds of sparring thinking of what you've just been doing

keep the rounds light punching remember your learning to defend & counter punch a clever boxer will always beat a fit boxer
123ko is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
usarmy6440
All day everyday BEASt

Where in korea is this?
usarmy6440 is offline  Top
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Nice controlled sparring.

At the 1:00 mark, end that with a L hook! Nice combo though.

*Try more slipping, rolling and sliding to your right more. Become unpredictable. You seem to slip mostly to you left.
bck620 is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Nice to meet another Korean on here.

Anyway you're lifting up your chin every time you throw the cross, a shorter man who spots this will lift your head with a jab or lead upper cut. You're exposed on your right side.

Keep Jabbing, but you are turning your head and facing way to the right when you throw it. Saw you get hit a few times cause you were face off.
Dont jab and lower your left hand, again I saw you get countered when you left that space open.

Noticed that you cross your legs a lot.

Change your head gear. You cant see shit with that helmet on. seriously I blame some of the performance issues on obsctructed vision.

There are fundamental flaws in your defense. The list you wrote is far too much to do at once and is more concerned with offense, when really you have left a lot of yourself open.

Your partner seems gun scared, and nervous about getting hit. Hence his agitated movement and freaky bouncy movement.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There is nothing wrong at all with what you are doing with your left jab; you work it pretty smooth for a guy just starting out, and I think the guy that teaches you must be real good. Don't be afraid to throw the right hand with some zip; it will do you good to learn to throw it right, and the other guy needs to learn how to avoid it.
Now, here's the thing. A couple times you lean to your left to either jab to his head or body. That puts you off balance and sticks your face right infront of his right hand. Turn your right shoulder forward to go to your left. Turn it just a bit to let his jab go by, if you are going to jab back. Do you see? That lets you avoid his punch and gets the your weight coming back on your's. Turn a lot if your are going to go to his body.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks for all the tips!

Here's a video of me sparring from about a week ago. This is round 3.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjP02A9tbE[/ame]

With this session I tried to focus on keeping my chin down while punching and trying to tighten up my defense. Not sure if I made any improvements from the last video though. Any critiques for this round? Also, this guy gives me the most trouble when I spar. Any tips in general for fighting taller guys like this based on the video?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing