Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #16
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Should Gilchrist think about retiring...?

Keeping for 90-odd tests is HARD on the body. i dont think Gilly will 100, sadly.

Last edited by jisi; 01-10-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Polymath is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #17
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Haddin isnt that young himself, think he might miss out altogether.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #18
SuperUnknown

vCash: 1000

Agreed. He has been great for Australia in both the 1 day and 5 day formats. But if he is not going to hang up the gloves then the selectors need to ask him to retire or drop him
SuperUnknown is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #19
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke
You were brought up in lismore and went to Kadina high?
Primary school, Deniliquin
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #20
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
Haddin's had a few chances for Australia in limited overs games (where he is at his best) but hasn't really performed.

I haven't kept up to date with state cricket for a while. hows he going now? whats his average in the 4 day game?
Pecks, with an avatar that nice who gives a stuff about Adam's career, he has had a good run and probably should give it away!
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #21
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think Gilchrist will be allowed this international season, perhaps through to the Champion's Trophy to turn it around, if not, he may be axed.

I think Haddin is a decent replacement though.

I think the problem issue lies with the third seamer and spinning positions. Mitchell Johnson has been solid but not spectacular, Shaun Tait was all over the shop at Perth, whilst in the spinning department, Hogg can be blasted a bit, and MacGill wasn't too clever against Sri Lanka. The other guys, such as White and Cullen, just aren't Test class IMO.

Hogg probably wins due to his batting and fielding contributions.

I would like to see Bracken given another go at Test level, but whether or not this will happen......
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #22
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

The spin department is where we are sadly lacking at the moment, but you only get one Warne a lifetime, if your lucky. Losing Warne has brought us right back to the pack, bowling wise. It wasn't often the tail wagged when he was playing.
Hogg tries hard but is impotent at test level, McGill has always been expensive but got wickets but nowadays his fitness is woeful.

And these two are the stand out spinners in the country.

How desperate is it? There were whispers before this test of giving a leg spinner from Vic a chance despite the fact hes only played a handful of matches, 35yo Bryce McGain I think it was. The only other two contracted spinners are Dan Cullen (1st Class Bowl Ave 41.12) and the man who replaced him in the SA team, Cullen Bailey (43.56). Not forgetting my home states straight turner, Cameron White (37.70). And whatever happened to Hauritz?

Clark was a decent replacement for McGrath but Beeston Brawler is on the right path. That Hogg wins the spinners position due to his batting and fielding means trouble is looming on the horizon.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #23
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonMcS
The spin department is where we are sadly lacking at the moment, but you only get one Warne a lifetime, if your lucky. Losing Warne has brought us right back to the pack, bowling wise. It wasn't often the tail wagged when he was playing.
Hogg tries hard but is impotent at test level, McGill has always been expensive but got wickets but nowadays his fitness is woeful.

How desperate is it? There were whispers before this test of giving a leg spinner from Vic a chance despite the fact hes only played a handful of matches, 35yo Bryce McGain I think it was. The only other two contracted spinners are Dan Cullen (1st Class Bowl Ave 41.12) and the man who replaced him in the SA team, Cullen Bailey (43.56). Not forgetting my home states straight turner, Cameron White (37.70). And whatever happened to Hauritz?

Clark was a decent replacement for McGrath but Beeston Brawler is on the right path. That Hogg wins the spinners position due to his batting and fielding means trouble is looming on the horizon.
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #24
this bloke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonMcS

theres a young fulla from nsw i cant think of his name but if he can get a bit more consistency he will fill the spinners role in the future
this bloke is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #25
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by this bloke
theres a young fulla from nsw i cant think of his name but if he can get a bit more consistency he will fill the spinners role in the future
nathan hauritz? he's shit.

beau carsson? he's shit.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #26
maco_187
Belt holder
ESB Addict

nar i think there talking bout steven smith, good spin bowler and a handy bat aswell, i dont mind hauritz he was very good and is a great one day bowler i think thats the problem they created him just for one dayers and negated the fact he should be spinning the ball which is a shame....
maco_187 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #27
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Thats the thing, at the moment we only have prospects who may come on. Short to mid term its not looking good.
Symonds & Clarke may get the odd one here or there but you just can't depend on them, they're both at best part timers.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #28
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppercut
he is arguably the greatest cricketer in history
pfft
teke is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #29
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppercut
he is arguably the greatest cricketer in history. it will be 100 years before we may see another. warnie ended up an allrounder!!!!! he should still be in the side.....and he could be. he was never ko'd.
don bradman and gary sobers make it a non arguement.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #30
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

I'd have settled for greatest blonde leg spinner from Victoria...

Nah, without starting up the whole Murali debate again, I feel lucky to have seen the best spin bowler ever from start to finish in his career. Some of the things he used to do before his shoulder injury were insane, and to come back from that injury and still bowl accurately is amazing. Leg spin is incredibly difficult but he made it look basic most days. Lets just hope his son is getting some early tutoring.
LeonMcS is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum