Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Has there ever been an MMA fighter who cross over to boxing?
Yes. 11 39.29%
No. 4 14.29%
MMA Fighters are scared to fight toe to toe. 10 35.71%
No, they prefer MMA. 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117
Default Re: Has there ever been an MMA fighter who cross over to boxing?

Lil nog did some boxing he got 3rd place in the pan american games and a former golden gloves champ and was the Brazilian champ. Maybe he not a world class boxer like the klitschkos but he could probably hold his own
greathamza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #32
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Travis Fulton, is a journeyman in both mma and boxing.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #33
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishamboy View Post
Dillian Whyte, future HW champ

Better boxer than than kickboxer that's for sure!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #34
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momus View Post
Chris Lytle is probably the best example - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Plenty of MMA fighters have fought professionally, but afaik there hasn't been no-one has crossed over and achieved significant success. Most generally use it to sharpen their striking skills, rather than completely switching careers.

The chances of an established MMA fighters becoming a world class boxer are pretty slim. It's difficult (but not unheard of) for fighters who start in their mid 20s to become successful. Boxing also requires a much more specific set of attributes than MMA, where there are more routes to success. The chances of a successful MMA fighter also having world class boxing talent are also slim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima View Post
Highly unlikely, because most of MMA fighters w/c has other forms of striking as their base/fundamentals. May it be Muay Thai, Karate or Taekwondo and it completely ruins their boxing form. Look at Anderson Silva for example. As exceptional in striking as he is, his boxing form is below mediocre.

Not to mention the habits.
Tell that to:

Samart Payakaroon
Khaosai Glaxay
Kaokor Galaxy
Pongsaklek Wonjongkam
Somluck Khamsing
All the above Muay Thai fighters that become Boxing Champions and there are many many many more Thais that that have crossed over and either become champions, won gold medals or challenged for world titles. Every Thia you see in aboxing ring was a Muay Thia fighter first!

A few non Thais and I know there are many many more....

Troy Dorsey
Pele Ried
Vitali Klitchko
Pawal Wolak
Matt Skelton
The list goes on.......

In regard to Silva, he isn't an exceptional striker, he looks better than he is in the UFC where most guys come form non striking backgrounds hence make Silva look more skilled than he really is.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #35
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Tell that to:

Samart Payakaroon
Khaosai Glaxay
Kaokor Galaxy
Pongsaklek Wonjongkam
Somluck Khamsing
All the above Muay Thai fighters that become Boxing Champions and there are many many many more Thais that that have crossed over and either become champions, won gold medals or challenged for world titles. Every Thia you see in aboxing ring was a Muay Thia fighter first!

A few non Thais and I know there are many many more....

Troy Dorsey
Pele Ried
Vitali Klitchko
Pawal Wolak
Matt Skelton
The list goes on.......

In regard to Silva, he isn't an exceptional striker, he looks better than he is in the UFC where most guys come form non striking backgrounds hence make Silva look more skilled than he really is.
To me Silva seems like a brilliant striker. Maybe not fundamentally brilliant but his timing, reflexes and creativity but maybe then again I don't know striking like you do.
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #36
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
To me Silva seems like a brilliant striker. Maybe not fundamentally brilliant but his timing, reflexes and creativity but maybe then again I don't know striking like you do.
Don't doubt yourself Matty, I know you train boxing so you know a good striker when you see one.

All I mean when I say he's not an "exceptional" stiker is, sure he's a good stiker, but in the UFC MMA world he looks much better than he is as most of the guys he's bashing up have spent most of thier fight careers on their backs on mats not standing toe to toe swopping leather. Most of those guys seem to come out of serious grappling, werestling BJJ backgorunds not serious striking careers.

Let's just say he never set the Muay Thai or kickboxing world alite pre his MMA caareer, which you'd expect an "exceptional" striker to do. Not knocking him, he's a great fighter who's applied his striking game to the UFC better than anyone else, it's just MMA guys tend to get over excited nd overrate his striking capabilites especially that Rogan guy.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #37
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Don't doubt yourself Matty, I know you train boxing so you know a good striker when you see one.

All I mean when I say he's not an "exceptional" stiker is, sure he's a good stiker, but in the UFC MMA world he looks much better than he is as most of the guys he's bashing up have spent most of thier fight careers on their backs on mats not standing toe to toe swopping leather. Most of those guys seem to come out of serious grappling, werestling BJJ backgorunds not serious striking careers.

Let's just say he never set the Muay Thai or kickboxing world alite pre his MMA caareer, which you'd expect an "exceptional" striker to do. Not knocking him, he's a great fighter who's applied his striking game to the UFC better than anyone else, it's just MMA guys tend to get over excited nd overrate his striking capabilites especially that Rogan guy.
Yeah that's probably right that's what I think as well. In an MMA enviroment he is a great striker but in Muay Thai and Boxing he looks fairly pedestrian.

I remember watching that video of a boxing match of his and he was pretty poor actually.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Much of Silva's greatness is based on his athletic gifts, not his fighting technique. I think Silva is a great fighter, I don't think Silva is a great striker. He depends too much on athleticism, is lacking in defense, and totally disregards range. I posted a video of Nogueria, bigger but slower, schooling him a while back. I've always said Nogueira has some of the best boxing I've seen in mma, but being schooled by him does not speak well of your abilities when compared to world class boxers.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #39
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Much of Silva's greatness is based on his athletic gifts, not his fighting technique. I think Silva is a great fighter, I don't think Silva is a great striker. He depends too much on athleticism, is lacking in defense, and totally disregards range. I posted a video of Nogueria, bigger but slower, schooling him a while back. I've always said Nogueira has some of the best boxing I've seen in mma, but being schooled by him does not speak well of your abilities when compared to world class boxers.
That is what I meant when I say that he's not technically brilliant but has good timing, reflexes and creativity. I've had many debates on Sherdog about this
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #40
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Anderson Silva "the greatest mixed martial artist ever." has a professional boxing record record of 1-1-0
Boxer Osmar Luiz Teixeira will be able to boast to his grandchildren he beat the great Spider Silva.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #41
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Boxer Osmar Luiz Teixeira will be able to boast to his grandchildren he beat the great Spider Silva.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #42
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Look at this comment I just seen on Sherdog

Quote:
Y'know a lot of "boxer/boxing fans" make a big hooey about the basic 1-2 combos of MMA but honestly I don't see even good 1-2 combos in boxing too often. And even far less of the more complicated combos.

Truth is the best combos I see are all jab oriented and are still predominantly centered around 1-2 combos or 1-1-2 combos and the occasional jab jab left hook. Jabs aren't used enough in boxing IMO and they are barely used in MMA.

But my point is that I don't feel the elite boxers of MMA are very sloppy compared to their boxing counterparts. Maybe a touch more sloppy but I honestly think good boxing MMAers like JDS, AS, BJ, and the Diaz brothers could crossover and at least get ranked. Anderson Silva IMO could actually win a 185 title if he chose to I say his boxing is on par w/ anyone in any combat sport.
Wow is all I can say
Old 08-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #43
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
Look at this comment I just seen on Sherdog

Wow is all I can say
185 lb. title?

Better still, is says "a 185 title." As though there are several to choose from.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
185 lb. title?

Better still, is says "a 185 title." As though there are several to choose from.
True Anderson could prolly win a 185 title but not one that matters kinda like James Toney is still the HW champ
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #45
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
True Anderson could prolly win a 185 title but not one that matters kinda like James Toney is still the HW champ
There is no 185lbs title

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum