Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Fight worth the risk??
Yes 28 40.00%
No 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #61
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Khan risk a fight with Juan Marquez in Dec??

I think Pacquiao had faster feet around the time of the second fight than Khan has.

The issue here is that Pacquiao had the left hand to keep Marquez honest, who in turn had the right hand to land on Pac at will.

The only way Khan could conceivably win this fight is to basically repeat the Kotelnik performance and hope for the best, a 12 round snoozer.

But Marquez is easily the most intelligent fighter he's faced so far, albeit one who prefers fighting fighters rather than boxers. If Khan starts planting his feet and throwing big ones he'll be beaten up and stopped.

If he tries to be fleet of foot he'll most likely put himself in harm's way or bore the judges into submission. Marquez will throw punches and will land - Kotelnik wasn't able to take the jab away and get off.... Marquez can do that, without being what you'd call a defensive master.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #62
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

Marquez is a bad match-up for Khan IMO. Marquez is a superb technician so one mistake by Khan and Marquez will capitalize. Khan makes to many mistakes and that'll be the downfall for Khan.

Marquez is a very dangerous fight. I'd have to favour Marquez.
Flexe is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #63
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I think Pacquiao had faster feet around the time of the second fight than Khan has.

The issue here is that Pacquiao had the left hand to keep Marquez honest, who in turn had the right hand to land on Pac at will.

The only way Khan could conceivably win this fight is to basically repeat the Kotelnik performance and hope for the best, a 12 round snoozer.

But Marquez is easily the most intelligent fighter he's faced so far, albeit one who prefers fighting fighters rather than boxers. If Khan starts planting his feet and throwing big ones he'll be beaten up and stopped.

If he tries to be fleet of foot he'll most likely put himself in harm's way or bore the judges into submission. Marquez will throw punches and will land - Kotelnik wasn't able to take the jab away and get off.... Marquez can do that, without being what you'd call a defensive master.
Yep i agree, Kotelnik is a much more passive fighter as well. Marquez punches with different angles. The negative displays for Khan were all well and good but it's not the formula against top level fighters. They aren't just gonna follow him around the ring.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #64
Go Getta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 336
Thumbs down Re: Should Khan risk a fight with Juan Marquez in Dec??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
I could counter that and ask, Has Khan ever faced someone as skilled and adaptable as Marquez?.

To answer your question, he's fought Floyd and Pacquiao. I don't really see Khan's speed as being overly concerning to Marquez. Yes he's faster then those two i'd say but he doesn't have Pac's power or Floyd's timing. Marquez would be content and as for his size if he's fighting scared how's he going to use it if he's charging around the ring staying away.

As for speed matched with timing that's great but Khan doesn't have timing and i don't see him picking that up in 4 months do you?. I think you ask a lot of Khan in terms of development Darni.

For him to become a fighter with better timing he's going to have to be a gym rat, be more reactive and less hyper and more thoughtful. These a major mental aspects that he'd need to change. I just don't see it mate..

No Khan can not develop his timing to improve to that extent to be truthful Khan may never have good timing, but when he chooses to box he gets away with it with mostly due to his fast handspeed.

I really feel in a chess match boxing match Khan always has a great chance, for some reason Khan vs punchers he likes to play fire with fire, Khan in pure boxing mode would be a handful for any fighter around his weight, Khan does have that in his locker but recently has choose not to use it.

I love to see this fight if Khan sorts his head out, maybe after a few lesser fights and maybe in that sense it's is a risk to take on such a fighter after his last outing.
Go Getta is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #65
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getta View Post
No Khan can not develop his timing to improve to that extent to be truthful Khan may never have good timing, but when he chooses to box he gets away with it with mostly due to his fast handspeed.

I really feel in a chess match boxing match Khan always has a great chance, for some reason Khan vs punchers he likes to play fire with fire, Khan in pure boxing mode would be a handful for any fighter around his weight, Khan does have that in his locker but recently has choose not to use it.

I love to see this fight if Khan sorts his head out, maybe after a few lesser fights and maybe in that sense it's is a risk to take on such a fighter after his last outing.
Who do you realistically think he'll fight mate? and who will be in his corner that night?.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #66
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

did the starter of this thread see the third pacman fight last year

i see khan getting the better of early rounds with his speed and marquez is a slow starter t time. but once jmm finds range it over

marquez mid rounds stoppage
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #67
Go Getta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Who do you realistically think he'll fight mate? and who will be in his corner that night?.
Not much info is coming out of Team Khan with what is going on, but I get the feeling GBP want Khan to move upto 147 and maybe have 1 or 2 water testing at the weight fights maybe someone like Jessie Vargas type fighters Paulie who holds a title maybe. Khan don't really have to many options at 140.

I would like Khan to work with Nazim Richardson, I think his toughness and words of wisdom would help Khan's mindset.
Go Getta is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #68
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Not much info is coming out of Team Khan with what is going on, but I get the feeling GBP want Khan to move upto 147 and maybe have 1 or 2 water testing at the weight fights maybe someone like Jessie Vargas type fighters Paulie who holds a title maybe. Khan don't really have to many options at 140.

I would like Khan to work with Nazim Richardson, I think his toughness and words of wisdom would help Khan's mindset.
Would you accept a 10 rounder on a undercard as a fan?. Or do you feel Khan is able and willing to jump straight back into another world title fight maybe at 147 if needed?.

Yep Richardson is sort of guy Khan needs around him, Roach allowed his ego to take over his training IMO. To much time telling people how his fighters will knock the other guy out..
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #69
Go Getta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Would you accept a 10 rounder on a undercard as a fan?. Or do you feel Khan is able and willing to jump straight back into another world title fight maybe at 147 if needed?.

Yep Richardson is sort of guy Khan needs around him, Roach allowed his ego to take over his training IMO. To much time telling people how his fighters will knock the other guy out..
Yeah I don't have a problem with Khan having a 10 rounder on a undercard, but Khan might or should I say his team might.

What we must remember Khan has for the past few years operated at the top of his division even holding a No.1 spot at 140 by ESPN and Ring, and it's not like Garcia outclassed Khan thoughout the fight it was the other way around up until that left hook in the end of the 3rd so I think 1 fight and 2 camps under new coach leading to a real fight is enough for Khan to adjust his mind if he can, it's not alot he has to change its more to do with him and how he fights.
Go Getta is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #70
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

We just saw Khan get timed to perfection and brutally knocked out, so any suggestion of Marquez any point in the future is a bad one.

I'd support Khan all the way but lets just say for 12 rounds I would have my fingernails firmly in my teeth.
bazza12 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #71
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah I don't have a problem with Khan having a 10 rounder on a undercard, but Khan might or should I say his team might.

What we must remember Khan has for the past few years operated at the top of his division even holding a No.1 spot at 140 by ESPN and Ring, and it's not like Garcia outclassed Khan thoughout the fight it was the other way around up until that left hook in the end of the 3rd so I think 1 fight and 2 camps under new coach leading to a real fight is enough for Khan to adjust his mind if he can, it's not alot he has to change its more to do with him and how he fights.
Yeah the rebuilding process shouldn't be to lengthy, I agree team Khan will probably say no to that.

The stoppage loss was coming, his mentality wasn't right and Garcia did what he had to do.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #72
IRONSENSE2002
muslim and proud
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

the fight shouldn't happen because khan is undeserving of the fight he's coming off back to back losses . he should do the right thing and retire, the sight of seeing his young finance nurse him through irreversible brain trauma saddens me, he's achieved all he can. I'd rather see garcia-marquez makes more sense, perhaps khan should fight prescott rather then chase fights with boxers who are leagues beyond him.
IRONSENSE2002 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum