Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: How would Jack Johnson fare vs. his predecessors in the following matches?
Johnson wins one 1 7.14%
Johnson wins two 7 50.00%
Johnson wins three 3 21.43%
Johnson wins all four matches. 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #31
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: How would Jack Johnson fare vs. his predecessors in the following matches?

Johnson would man handle Dempsey!!!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #32
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Jack Johnson fare vs. his predecessors in the following matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
The replies and, votes in this poll, sure didn't give you the result you were looking for did they?
The replies are fine, but the poll should list an option for 0 wins, and list who voted. Not sure who the other two posters were who felt Johnson wins all 4 matches. But I think I know your vote.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #33
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
The replies are fine, but the poll should list an option for 0 wins, and list who voted. Not sure who the other two posters were who felt Johnson wins all 4 matches. But I think I know your vote.

No guesses required.
I posted mine so all could see it, why ever would I not?

You might like to do the same thing with Jeffries, and see how he fares with those opponents.
Though I somehow doubt that you will.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #34
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post

Dempsey wasn't a short guy or super middle weight. If Johnson tired to clinch Dempsey, he would find out Demspey's a savage body puncher. Dempsey Ko's Johnson, likely early.

When a powerful attacking type with great hand speed meets a defensive minded, modest puncher who does not throw many punches, and one who has been KO'd and floored by smaller men, the results should be obvious.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #35
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Loses all of them.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #36
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Dempsey wasn't a short guy or super middle weight. If Johnson tired to clinch Dempsey, he would find out Demspey's a savage body puncher. Dempsey Ko's Johnson, likely early.

When a powerful attacking type with great hand speed meets a defensive minded, modest puncher who does not throw many punches, and one who has been KO'd and floored by smaller men, the results should be obvious.
While I do not put Johnson in Dempsey's class as a hitter ,I don't think many would describe him as ," a modest puncher", not anyone who was not consumed by phobic hatred of him anyway.

I would think Johnson hit as hard as most ,certainly as hard as Mr J. J. Jeffries.

Tommy Gibbons ,a clever light heavyweight went 15rds with Dempsey,[not Demspey,] without being floored, Gibbons was 32 years old ,and scaled one half a pound over the LHVy limit of 175lbs for that fight. Johnson was stronger than Gibbons and hit harder, yet Dempsey blows him away early?

Dempsey was floored by a quick right by Tunney it's very possible Johnson might be able to emulate that feat imo, a croucher is vulnerable to the uppercut ,Johnson's was superb.

Concentrating on Johnson's defeat by Choynski when he was nowhere near fully matured is as reasonable as doing the same for Jack Dempsey's ko by Jim Flynn,a man Johnson stopped twice, without any prospect of being in any way slightly inconvenienced

No one ko'd a prime Jack Johnson, in fact from February 1901 until July 1915 he was only floored ONCE and the bona fide's of that knockdown are highly suspect.

"Modest punching" Johnson kod Ketchel for 12 minutes, removing some of his teeth.
"Modest punching "Johnson kod Denver Ed Martin for so long he was held in custody in case Martin died.
"Modest punching" Johnson left Jeffries looking like this .

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

But keep trying.

Last edited by mcvey; 08-23-2012 at 08:59 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #37
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

I like Johnson against all of them except possibly Tunney ... If you came at Johnson he'd be forced to fight and I feel he had the skills to defeat three of these guys ... however, a boxer like TUnney may force him into an offensive role and a punch output he may not handle and he could be decisioned ... not sure on that one ... it might just be a terribly boring, Hopkins type fight ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #38
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Maybe P4P but certainly not at HW.
no his resume will always hold him back as will his premature retirement. But h2h I think he's a HW beast up until the SHW's.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #39
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
I like Johnson against all of them except possibly Tunney ... If you came at Johnson he'd be forced to fight and I feel he had the skills to defeat three of these guys ... however, a boxer like TUnney may force him into an offensive role and a punch output he may not handle and he could be decisioned ... not sure on that one ... it might just be a terribly boring, Hopkins type fight ..
I agree Tunney v Jack could be stylistically intruiging, but maybe not aesthetically pleasing to watch.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #40
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Dempsey - Johnson outboxes him, tires him and uppercuts him in the clinches, Dempsey has a chance early, afterwards Johnson picks him apart

Tunney - A chess match, both pretty quick counter punchers, Johnson the bigger stronger 1, which is probably his edge in a close fight

Louis - Johnson would outbox Louis and counter him with rights. But Louis could score a KO at any time, could go either way but lean towards Johnson

Marciano - Johnson hasn't see anything like Marciano, although maybe Langford and Jeffries are similar in ways. Johnson would look to counter and spoil, clinch and uppercut. Marciano would look to break him but I do think Johnson is the stronger man. This one could go either way
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #41
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
YES HE DID!
Below.

Johnson stuns Dempsey with a left hook .

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum