Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
His padded record is down to his horrendous father.One of the worst of the worst when it came to 80's boxing crooks.Had guys packed into station wagons to drive all over the south(and elsewhere) to fight under aliases for buttons.
A real shitehouse who exploited and ruined many men who didn't know any better.
didnt know that, another sad fact before the information age which prevents alot of that now..... i think i am going to make a thread on o'gradys record...so dont be shocked when you see it pop up
iceman71 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

Ricky Hatton was amazing against Ray Oliveira, possibly his best performance besides Tszyu.

Nigel Benn beating Doug Dewitt doesnt seem to get watched as much as his other fights, top performance coming from the deck to seriously **** up the yank

Lewis v Mercer, some ****wits on here claim it was a boring fight, it was anything but.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
didnt know that, another sad fact before the information age which prevents alot of that now..... i think i am going to make a thread on o'gradys record...so dont be shocked when you see it pop up
You should read Years of the Locust.It's not really about O'Grady but it covers a lot of his dad's corruption.O'Grady Snr had a partner called Sean Gibbons who was in on it as well.What some of those poor fighters went through was disgraceful.
It's well worth a read.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

Quote:
I need to check more of early Rafa out.We've been fairly starved of him on UK TV.
Oh man, before the trilogy he was looking poised to become a bigger p4p star than his big brother and one of the sport's tops.

Izzy himself was generating mega-hype, which is why the buzz surrounding their first meeting was unreal. (and of course, due to how things unfolded from there only kept growing as the saga unfolded)

Had they stayed a weight class apart and not ruined each other, both would have left a long trail of respectable bodies in their wake.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
Ricky Hatton was amazing against Ray Oliveira, possibly his best performance besides Tszyu.

Nigel Benn beating Doug Dewitt doesnt seem to get watched as much as his other fights, top performance coming from the deck to seriously **** up the yank

Lewis v Mercer, some ****wits on here claim it was a boring fight, it was anything but.
People forget that Benn was written off around that time.The Watson fight(one of my all time favourites and one of the times when I knew I had a better grasp of watching boxing than my schoolfriends) left people believing that he was completely beatable.Didn't he fight The Blade after DeWitt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Arguello-Ganigan.
I love Arguello but I have to admit I might not have seen that one.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You should read Years of the Locust.It's not really about O'Grady but it covers a lot of his dad's corruption.O'Grady Snr had a partner called Sean Gibbons who was in on it as well.What some of those poor fighters went through was disgraceful.
It's well worth a read.
i will check it out, thanks for the heads up
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 31447

heres some hls of the JMM.Jandaeng fight.

JMM's uppercut was nasty in this fight.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6cpfF8D_U[/ame]

Rafa Marquez-Mabuza II which was on the same card as the fight above like IB previously mentioned.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3GPjn_1iyg[/ame]
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
People forget that Benn was written off around that time.The Watson fight(one of my all time favourites and one of the times when I knew I had a better grasp of watching boxing than my schoolfriends) left people believing that he was completely beatable.Didn't he fight The Blade after DeWitt?

I love Arguello but I have to admit I might not have seen that one.

That Watson fight was unreal wasnt it, brutal. Dewitt before Barkley yeah.
You ever seen the staredown from that fight ? Dewitt looked genuinely frightened.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #24
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Oh man, before the trilogy he was looking poised to become a bigger p4p star than his big brother and one of the sport's tops.

Izzy himself was generating mega-hype, which is why the buzz surrounding their first meeting was unreal. (and of course, due to how things unfolded from there only kept growing as the saga unfolded)

Had they stayed a weight class apart and not ruined each other, both would have left a long trail of respectable bodies in their wake.
I think I'm right in saying that not one of the trilogy was on TV here.
I remember my disgust at reading the reports in Boxing News.Might be wrong but pretty sure they weren't.No bad thing watching all three at once nowadays though.
We've also been starved of Gamboa,and given half the shite we see I'd like that to change.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #25
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3930

Mayweather-Jesus Chavez

Chavez marches forward and swarms Mayweather, who is forced to ship a bit of punishment despite defending beautifully throughout the fight simply because Chavez threw so many punches. That said, Mayweather finds his groove in the middle rounds and proceeds to blast JC with uppercut after uppercut after uppercut. Since I think Chavez was quite underrated when he was at his best, this stands out to be as being one of FMJ's best performances.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
Hook!
Proud member of team G.
ESB Addict

vCash: 889

Floyd vs N'dou as it was almost punch perfect with an incredible finish and at the time N'dou was no mug by any means.

Floyd vs Chavez chavez was on floyd like a rash with an incredible output. floyds boxing brain and stamina really came to fort here, breaking him down bit by bit, very impressive imo.

Good thread.
Hook! is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
Hook!
Proud member of team G.
ESB Addict

vCash: 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Mayweather-Jesus Chavez

Chavez marches forward and swarms Mayweather, who is forced to ship a bit of punishment despite defending beautifully throughout the fight simply because Chavez threw so many punches. That said, Mayweather finds his groove in the middle rounds and proceeds to blast JC with uppercut after uppercut after uppercut. Since I think Chavez was quite underrated when he was at his best, this stands out to be as being one of FMJ's best performances.
i agree!
Hook! is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
BillyBomber
Journeyman

vCash: 500

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YIfzWl1i10[/ame]

Everyone talks about how vicious Jackson's KO was against Graham, but i always felt his KO against Wayne Powell was even more devastating.
BillyBomber is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
heres some hls of the JMM.Jandaeng fight.

JMM's uppercut was nasty in this fight.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Rafa Marquez-Mabuza II which was on the same card as the fight above like IB previously mentioned.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Thanks for that BR.Mabuza seemed to be throwing really venomous punches but Rafa shook them off and his combos were beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
That Watson fight was unreal wasnt it, brutal. Dewitt before Barkley yeah.
You ever seen the staredown from that fight ? Dewitt looked genuinely frightened.
I'll always remember the Watson fight because I thought the may Michael fought was like nothing I'd seen up to that point.He covered up beautifully and painted a real masterpiece.I always remember going into school and talking about his defence and getting strange looks and comments about not talking about punching!
DeWitt was tough.It says something about Benn if DD was spooked.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #30
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Mayweather-Jesus Chavez

You've upped this one before as I recall, and well done keeping the flame burning.

Chavez in his prime - and really, all the way up until the tragedy - was a terrific fighter who sadly receives hardly any mention these days (outside of your posts).
IntentionalButt is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum