Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #31
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Mayweather-Jesus Chavez

Chavez marches forward and swarms Mayweather, who is forced to ship a bit of punishment despite defending beautifully throughout the fight simply because Chavez threw so many punches. That said, Mayweather finds his groove in the middle rounds and proceeds to blast JC with uppercut after uppercut after uppercut. Since I think Chavez was quite underrated when he was at his best, this stands out to be as being one of FMJ's best performances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook! View Post
Floyd vs N'dou as it was almost punch perfect with an incredible finish and at the time N'dou was no mug by any means.

Floyd vs Chavez chavez was on floyd like a rash with an incredible output. floyds boxing brain and stamina really came to fort here, breaking him down bit by bit, very impressive imo.

Good thread.
Good answers guys.
I remember N'Dou but I'll need to check out Chavez again.
Think I'm going to get some entertaining tips on this thread.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #32
Hook!
Proud member of team G.
ESB Addict

vCash: 889
Default Re: Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

i wasn't following the sport at the time (I've watched all of floyds fights now, i think) but i can imagine chavez being seen as an acid test, to see if floyd really was the real deal
Hook! is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 31447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Mayweather-Jesus Chavez

Chavez marches forward and swarms Mayweather, who is forced to ship a bit of punishment despite defending beautifully throughout the fight simply because Chavez threw so many punches. That said, Mayweather finds his groove in the middle rounds and proceeds to blast JC with uppercut after uppercut after uppercut. Since I think Chavez was quite underrated when he was at his best, this stands out to be as being one of FMJ's best performances.
Chavez previous fight before Mayweather against Arias was an all out war,Chavez was a non stop punching machine in that one, very underrated fight.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #34
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Thanks for that BR.Mabuza seemed to be throwing really venomous punches but Rafa shook them off and his combos were beautiful.

I'll always remember the Watson fight because I thought the may Michael fought was like nothing I'd seen up to that point.He covered up beautifully and painted a real masterpiece.I always remember going into school and talking about his defence and getting strange looks and comments about not talking about punching!
DeWitt was tough.It says something about Benn if DD was spooked.

Watsons defence was outragously good, let Benn just pound away at his arms and gloves until he was ****ed then turned the screw. I was pretty young when that fight happened and like alot of kids had Benn as one my heroes, was pretty gutted but gained another hero.Benn got ****ed up that night fair and square.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #35
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Thanks for that BR.Mabuza seemed to be throwing really venomous punches but Rafa shook them off and his combos were beautiful.

I'll always remember the Watson fight because I thought the may Michael fought was like nothing I'd seen up to that point.He covered up beautifully and painted a real masterpiece.I always remember going into school and talking about his defence and getting strange looks and comments about not talking about punching!
DeWitt was tough.It says something about Benn if DD was spooked.

Dewitt said Benn hit harder than anyone he'd faced, likened it to something, cant remember what.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #36
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 41998

Quote:
Oh, Mabuza. Poor kid. I was sure he'd inherit bantamweight once Rafa moved up to challenge Vazquez. He was the clear #2 h2h in the division, having pushed the kingpin like no one else had yet, and #1 upon his rival's departure. Unfortunately being based in South Africa without any big promotional backing to help him jetset to glory, it wasn't to be. Over the next three years following the rematch, he fought three inconsequential opponents to retrieve and defend the worthless IBO strap Marquez had snatched from him.

By the time he met Yonnhy Perez at the dawn of the current thriving BW era, the moon of his prime had already ceased to wax and begun to wane. Toss in a full year's rust at the time and a lack of meaningful activity for even longer before that and it was a fool's errand going up against the heavy-handed and iron-jawed Colombian up-and-comer, even at home. (and he still gave Yonnhy a very stiff argument, raging against the dying of a light)
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #37
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Great thread PTF

Mine would be Andries-Hearns

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoxVdtIRVi4[/ame]

Dennis Andries was very tough, brave and underrated by many, he gave Hearns a tough fight. In the end Tommy really outclassed him and showed he carried his punch all the way up to LHW
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #38
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Great thread PTF

Mine would be Andries-Hearns

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Dennis Andries was very tough, brave and underrated by many, he gave Hearns a tough fight. In the end Tommy really outclassed him and showed he carried his punch all the way up to LHW
Another of my most prophetic boxng memories.As a kid I was a big fan of Dennis but I always felt a duty to want guys like Hearns to win.I watched this on the night and it was brutal.Was it 10 KD's before it got stopped?
Tommy was great but Dennis put in one of the bravest performances I've ever seen that night.
And the Jeff Harding fights are a great watch.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #39
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Oh, Mabuza. Poor kid. I was sure he'd inherit bantamweight once Rafa moved up to challenge Vazquez. He was the clear #2 h2h in the division, having pushed the kingpin like no one else had yet, and #1 upon his rival's departure. Unfortunately being based in South Africa without any big promotional backing to help him jetset to glory, it wasn't to be. Over the next three years following the rematch, he fought three inconsequential opponents to retrieve and defend the worthless IBO strap Marquez had snatched from him.

By the time he met Yonnhy Perez the moon of his prime had already ceased to wax and begun to wane. Toss in a full year's rust at the time and a lack of meaningful activity for even longer before that and it was a fool's errand going up against the heavy-handed and iron-jawed Colombian up-and-comer, even at home. (and he still gave Yonnhy a very stiff argument, raging against the dying of a light)
There are so many African fighters who could have done so much more had they been born on a different continent or been fortunate enough to move away..Would we ever have heard of Boza-Edwards if he hadn't gone to England?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #40
DKD
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 630

I like Hearns vs Kinchen and I watch it from time to time. Hearns was past his best, but still had plenty left and Kinchen was on good form, too. Hearns wasn't able to really hurt Kinchen, although Kinchen did have Hearns in trouble here and there. Its a decent fight, some good boxing and it has its moments. Hearns gets a close decision.

Its also a significant fight. Hearns became the first ever five weight champ with this win and the very first WBO super middleweight champ. It might even have been the very first title fight ever sanctioned by the WBO, I'm not sure, but its certainly among the first WBO fights though.

In this fight Hearns became the first ever five weight champion in history just three days before Leonard beat Lalonde to become the second five weight champion in history. People don't talk about this fight too much, but its well worth a watch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmFREeC9hM[/ame]
DKD is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #41
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 372

Leonard vs. Lalonde is still one of my favorites. Leonard took a KD and looked like he might be wilting a bit before hurting and stopping Lalonde and showing off his Bolo punch.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU-CS7o878A[/ame]

An interesting note about this fight... BOTH the WBC 168 and 175 titles were on the line at the same time.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 31447

Great performance By Duran here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-cS0FDWO0[/ame]

Heres the Dejesus trilogy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlD9UjDa9uM[/ame]
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #43
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 372

Also... Holyfield vs. Bert Cooper. Holyfield took the first KD of his career and appeared to be on his way out. Cooper was pounding on him... But the Holy one miraculously recovered and finished Bert off..
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8ZyHDYTXI[/ame]
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #44
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 41998

Quote:
There are so many African fighters who could have done so much more had they been born on a different continent or been fortunate enough to move away..Would we ever have heard of Boza-Edwards if he hadn't gone to England?
Lack of international TV to bring in attention and money, even for their biggest events...

Lack of quality sparring...

Lack of quality opponents... (or rather, their unwillingness to travel all the way there for meager paydays in often high risk/low reward scenarios)

Lack of world-class coaching - with all due respect to Mabuza's chief second Nic Durandt, who's one of the best down there (look at how far he brought the very limited Jeff Mathebula, who isn't half the fighter Mabuza was)...

IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #45
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxbiotch View Post
Leonard vs. Lalonde is still one of my favorites. Leonard took a KD and looked like he might be wilting a bit before hurting and stopping Lalonde and showing off his Bolo punch.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
It's already on a downward spiral but I loved this fight just because I was grateful for the chance to watch Ray fight and I was a bit young to realise that it would have been better if he had bowed out after Hagler.I always find Lalonde intriguing because of the Atlas thing and I thoroughly enjoyed this fight.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum