Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #46
Prince.
24/7 365
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

Moreno
Prince. is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #47
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666
Default Re: Which of your favourite fighter's less celebrated fights do you enjoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Another of my most prophetic boxng memories.As a kid I was a big fan of Dennis but I always felt a duty to want guys like Hearns to win.I watched this on the night and it was brutal.Was it 10 KD's before it got stopped?
Tommy was great but Dennis put in one of the bravest performances I've ever seen that night.
And the Jeff Harding fights are a great watch.

I think it was 10 KD's, in round 6 he floors him 3 times and somehow Andries survives the round, despite being pretty much out on his feet. He was extremely tough. He improved even more when he started training with Emmanuel Steward.

The Harding fights were brutal.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #48
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 372

Quote:
It's already on a downward spiral but I loved this fight just because I was grateful for the chance to watch Ray fight and I was a bit young to realise that it would have been better if he had bowed out after Hagler.I always find Lalonde intriguing because of the Atlas thing and I thoroughly enjoyed this fight.
Pretty crazy actually...

"In 2006, Atlas published his autobiography, Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man. In the book, he revealed that he came close to murdering Lalonde. "When he made six million for Leonard, it tore me up," Atlas wrote. "It made me murderous." If Lalonde had not fired Atlas and he had been with Lalonde for the Leonard fight, Atlas would've gotten 10% of Lalonde's purse, $600,000.
Atlas described getting a gun and going to Lalonde's apartment building in New York. After getting buzzed into the building by another tenant, Atlas went to Lalonde's apartment and knocked on the door. "If he had opened the door, he was dead," Atlas wrote. "I would have pulled the trigger, turned around, and walked away." However, there was no answer.
Atlas waited through the night for Lalonde to return, periodically phoning the apartment. When he finally got through, Lalonde's girlfriend answered. When asked if Lalonde was home, she said yes. Atlas hung up and started making his way over to the apartment. Somewhere along the way, for whatever reason, Atlas changed his mind.
Lalonde knew nothing about it until the book came out, and a friend told him about it. "It actually didn't surprise me when I heard it," he said. "Teddy got into fights with trainers and fighters quite a bit when I was with him. he may not be the most stable person walking around."
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #49
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince. View Post
Moreno
Someone doesn't get the thread.

Or is presumptuously assuming we know/care who his favorite fighter is among Moreno opponents and can sort out from there which fight he's referring to.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #50
Zombieguy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

None of John Duddy's fights are celebrated and it's a tragedy.
Zombieguy is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #51
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Someone doesn't get the thread.

Or is presumptuously assuming we know/care who his favorite fighter is among Moreno opponents and can sort out from there which fight he's referring to.
Maybe he just means that ALL of Moreno's fights were "less celebrated."

And to that I ask: Which Moreno?
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #52
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxbiotch View Post
Pretty crazy actually...

"In 2006, Atlas published his autobiography, Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man. In the book, he revealed that he came close to murdering Lalonde. "When he made six million for Leonard, it tore me up," Atlas wrote. "It made me murderous." If Lalonde had not fired Atlas and he had been with Lalonde for the Leonard fight, Atlas would've gotten 10% of Lalonde's purse, $600,000.
Atlas described getting a gun and going to Lalonde's apartment building in New York. After getting buzzed into the building by another tenant, Atlas went to Lalonde's apartment and knocked on the door. "If he had opened the door, he was dead," Atlas wrote. "I would have pulled the trigger, turned around, and walked away." However, there was no answer.
Atlas waited through the night for Lalonde to return, periodically phoning the apartment. When he finally got through, Lalonde's girlfriend answered. When asked if Lalonde was home, she said yes. Atlas hung up and started making his way over to the apartment. Somewhere along the way, for whatever reason, Atlas changed his mind.
Lalonde knew nothing about it until the book came out, and a friend told him about it. "It actually didn't surprise me when I heard it," he said. "Teddy got into fights with trainers and fighters quite a bit when I was with him. he may not be the most stable person walking around."
There's been some great threads on the subject.I think it's Caelum(sorry if it's not) who posted extensively on the matter.
I used to be a big fan of Teddy but I've come to think Donny might've had a point.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #53
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombieguy View Post
Doesn't that mean that ALL of his fights are "less celebrated" then?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #54
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
He was tremendous for the sport, even if he wasn't destined for greatness.

The spiritual successor to Gatti, along with Mick Katsidis.

Among his least appreciated battles, I'd nominate Michi Munoz as the most satisfying. (and now for the mere fact of my having been sat at ringside for it, near enough to have probably needed a poncho for blood spatter )

Michi was game as they come and really made him work for the W, and old John kicked into high gear to get it done.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #55
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxbiotch View Post
Maybe he just means that ALL of Moreno's fights were "less celebrated."

And to that I ask: Which Moreno?
I think he means his favourite fighter is a guy called Ivan Martinez who got beat by a guy called Alvaro Moreno Gamboa.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #56
Zombieguy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Doesn't that mean that ALL of his fights are "less celebrated" then?
John Duddy gets flack for being a "bum" but he went 12 rounds with Chavez Jr where decent contender Andy Lee could only last 7. The Chavez fight was an entertaining scrap but was not a real showcase for Duddy nor did the Medina fight. Sadly these were his two most known fights probably.

However keeping with the spirit of the thread, Duddy vs Cuevas was a very entertaining and underappreciated fight. Even those who think Duddy is a "bum" can enjoy this one if they can find it online.
Zombieguy is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #57
SHADOW BOX
SHADOW BOX
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I have two:
Barrera vs Kennedy McKinney
and
Israel Vasquez vs Oscar Larios (All the fights)
SHADOW BOX is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #58
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW BOX View Post
I have two:
Barrera vs Kennedy McKinney
and
Israel Vasquez vs Oscar Larios (All the fights)
Old 08-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #59
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
John Duddy gets flack for being a "bum" but he went 12 rounds with Chavez Jr where decent contender Andy Lee could only last 7. The Chavez fight was an entertaining scrap but was not a real showcase for Duddy nor did the Medina fight. Sadly these were his two most known fights probably.

However keeping with the spirit of the thread, Duddy vs Cuevas was a very entertaining and underappreciated fight. Even those who think Duddy is a "bum" can enjoy this one if they can find it online.
I didn't intend to sound disrespectful about Duddy.I meant that every one of his fights deserve a place here so no one can complain about it being a well known or celebrated fight.
I liked Duddy.Know why he retired but would still have liked to see him have one more go.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #60
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Erik Morales vs In Jin Chi
Zopilote is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum