Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #31
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone find weight training counter productive

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve215 View Post
I have not trained in a week and a half (weights and running) and noticed ive been losing muscle and 5 pounds. I go in the yard to mess around on the heavy bag and my speed and power were pretty freaky. I'm a puncher but my power and speed increased noticeably. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Maybe all the old school trainers are right about no weights
What do you mean by, my power and speed has increased noticeably? I find it hard to validate statements like this because people say it based on how they 'feel' that day. OKay, I FELT fast and powerful. Its such a subjective term if you havent actually measured your performance regularly.

Anyway I'm not being a pedant, since I cant argue with how peopel 'feel' about their performance. By omitting one thing in your training, you've saved your energy to do something else. That's just by default.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #32
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Weight training isn't skill training.
You need heavy weight to recruit the largest fibres. You need heavy weight to improve the stiffness of tendons.
You obviously shouldn't be lifting heavy weight just before a fight. Everything has its place in a periodised program.
The OP is an idiot, you don't improve boxing performance while you are strength training, your performance improves when you stop.
I was asking, something entirely different actually , but there are other ways to recruit large Fibres, plus I dont want stiffness in the Tendons. I want them Strong, some depending where, and what they are doing, pliable. You can improve technique, while strength Training, and make it Sports Specific, thats where the Slap and Tickle reference came in. Trouble with Iron, is its constant, weight distribution, where Joint movement is Not.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #33
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
I was asking, something entirely different actually , but there are other ways to recruit large Fibres, plus I dont want stiffness in the Tendons. I want them Strong, some depending where, and what they are doing, pliable. You can improve technique, while strength Training, and make it Sports Specific, thats where the Slap and Tickle reference came in. Trouble with Iron, is its constant, weight distribution, where Joint movement is Not.
My bad. I don't understand what you mean by Irons constant weight distribution? All resistance training is exerting varying amounts of force depending on the position of the moment arm.
And a stiff tendon is a strong tendon, a tendon that flicks back quickly for power. A compliant, sloppy tendon is only useful for slow movements.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #34
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
My bad. I don't understand what you mean by Irons constant weight distribution? All resistance training is exerting varying amounts of force depending on the position of the moment arm.
And a stiff tendon is a strong tendon, a tendon that flicks back quickly for power. A compliant, sloppy tendon is only useful for slow movements.
Working with Weights, Ive found counter productive. I would rather do work with Elastic, Rubber, Parachutes and uneven surfaces, Crash Mats and the like. I find it better, for repairing the Damage the Eyes do, to Balance, and causing 95% of injuries, as Eyes Do.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #35
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Working with Weights, Ive found counter productive. I would rather do work with Elastic, Rubber, Parachutes and uneven surfaces, Crash Mats and the like. I find it better, for repairing the Damage the Eyes do, to Balance, and causing 95% of injuries, as Eyes Do.
How can the eyes damage balance? They are probably the main component of balance. I understand you don't want to be over reliant on using your eyes for balance, you need good proprioceptice feedback as well obviously.
Proprioceptive feedback doesn't have a whole lot to do with strength either.
Elastic and rubber resistant training has problems as well, you're only resisting force at the end of the range of motion. With weights it's the opposite usually, depending on where the moment arm is.
How could weights be counter productive? You don't think the strength gains help a boxer?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #36
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Eyes are the primary source, for us having a Dominant side, or preferred side to Do. Stopping the faster senses, of Touch and Feel operating as they should. Plus stopping them working to their optimal in action, one side does while the other supports the action. Causing an imbalance over time, to muscular condition through the Muscles and Tendons. Thats why, Yes you should Have strong Ligaments, Tendons should be strong and have elasticity, ask anybody who has worked with C/P, having said that, that is an extreme point. Hip and below Knee, Ankle, Have a 6/3/6 of side movement, Tight Tendons, restricts that and can cause serious injury to ligaments. To end Body works all or Nothing, Stretching Helps with Muscle Balance, to Transport the Head, its Job.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

stfu
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #38
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
stfu
Its only something that, a Professor of Osteopathy at Harvard a dear Freind explained to me years ago.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 08-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #39
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
stfu
No way, I enjoy and learn much from both "scrap" and "dealt with" posts.
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
boxingtactics07
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

doesn't it ultimately come down to the sport and the individual? ie a boxer bench pressing is a step back as he needs compliant tendons in his shoulders and a runner squatting is a step forward as he needs stiff tendons in his knees?
boxingtactics07 is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
You haven't lost any muscle mass after a week and a half unless there's something seriously wrong with you.

You know the crazy thing? People actually believe this shit! O know i havent worked out in 2 weeks!! I'm loosing mass!!!
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #42
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTHOOK87 View Post
fail is strong
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #43
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

In a nutshell, No. Quite the opposite, actually.

Just another clueless Boxer to add to the other 600,000,000 that have got the "weights are bad" frame of mind.

Weights, Used in the right way (Power/Endurance/Strength) are great and should be incorporated into a Boxers routine.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #44
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
In a nutshell, No. Quite the opposite, actually.

Just another clueless Boxer to add to the other 600,000,000 that have got the "weights are bad" frame of mind.

Weights, Used in the right way (Power/Endurance/Strength) are great and should be incorporated into a Boxers routine.
What I think is being Discussed, is resistance Training. Which is the Better for Athletic movement, and adapting to what is trying to be achieved, to me weights are not the way to go. But the Sports manufactures will tell you Bollocks to get you believing, to make money.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #45
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingtactics07 View Post
doesn't it ultimately come down to the sport and the individual? ie a boxer bench pressing is a step back as he needs compliant tendons in his shoulders and a runner squatting is a step forward as he needs stiff tendons in his knees?
I agree with that.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing