Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #46
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Anyone find weight training counter productive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Eyes are the primary source, for us having a Dominant side, or preferred side to Do. Stopping the faster senses, of Touch and Feel operating as they should. Plus stopping them working to their optimal in action, one side does while the other supports the action. Causing an imbalance over time, to muscular condition through the Muscles and Tendons. Thats why, Yes you should Have strong Ligaments, Tendons should be strong and have elasticity, ask anybody who has worked with C/P, having said that, that is an extreme point. Hip and below Knee, Ankle, Have a 6/3/6 of side movement, Tight Tendons, restricts that and can cause serious injury to ligaments. To end Body works all or Nothing, Stretching Helps with Muscle Balance, to Transport the Head, its Job.
Tight tendons are strong tendons. Weights strengthen connective tissue like nothing else. Stretching is fine in moderation but I've never seen any evidence to suggest that it prevents injury and I've seen plenty of review articles on the subject.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #47
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
What I think is being Discussed, is resistance Training. Which is the Better for Athletic movement, and adapting to what is trying to be achieved, to me weights are not the way to go. But the Sports manufactures will tell you Bollocks to get you believing, to make money.
I don't understand your objection to weight training? From what you've said it sounds like you think conditioning work should be skill work at the same time?
Every athlete in the world who's worth anything strength trains. How can you overload the big, strong muscles of the legs without weights?
Stabilising a heavy weight is great proprioceptive and injury prevention work at the same time.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #48
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Everyone's just talking shit now.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #49
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Tight tendons are strong tendons. Weights strengthen connective tissue like nothing else. Stretching is fine in moderation but I've never seen any evidence to suggest that it prevents injury and I've seen plenty of review articles on the subject.
Tight Tendons Restrict movement, what causes injurys are contractions, without P rehab, for activity and preparation.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #50
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
I don't understand your objection to weight training? From what you've said it sounds like you think conditioning work should be skill work at the same time?
Every athlete in the world who's worth anything strength trains. How can you overload the big, strong muscles of the legs without weights?
Stabilising a heavy weight is great proprioceptive and injury prevention work at the same time.
Theres loads of ways of doing, Strength work to build muscle, for different forms of bio mechanical exercise, also being intricate to do, and Fun. making the Grey matter work.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #51
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

There was a thread on here recently, on the IT band, the TFL. It orchestrates the Posterior Chain, it doesnt want to be Tight. Tight Tendons of the Elbows restricts making a proper Fist, Achilles etc.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #52
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Out of interest, anybody here of the 15 degree theory.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #53
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Im still amazed there are people who think that weight training is uselles and a waste of time.This isnt 1956 you know?
Btw that isnt even a good strength pro.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #54
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
Im still amazed there are people who think that weight training is uselles and a waste of time.This isnt 1956 you know?
Btw that isnt even a good strength pro.
Well put one up thats Good, for Boxing. Be constructive.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #55
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve215 View Post
I'd rather focus on conditioning and boxing than weights...imo they are a waste of energy
Oddly, pretty much every top class professional boxer disagrees.
irishny is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #56
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Let's try to explain our position in regards to why something would or would not work and what the necessary corrections are instead of it won't work or that's not good and leaving it at that. That would be a constructive approach.

If you feel that an appropriate weight training program should be used for a boxer, what is it (ie.complex/maxex training, bands and weights, etc) and why? Research is great, but don't just link T-Nation workouts or other websites. Tell your own thoughts and the rationale behind it.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but just explain the why.
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #57
evolve215
Journeyman

I didn't expect this kind of response. We all have our opinions and our bodies work differently. I was always the kid who wasn't on par with my peers in the weight room regardless of my work, but could always hit pretty hard for some reason, both football and boxing. Thanks everyone for the input.
evolve215 is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #58
JuxhinBox

vCash: 625

Plyometrics > Weight training

EDIT: The statement above applies to competitive boxers. Not to people who take it as a hobby.
JuxhinBox is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #59
almsn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I usually do

8x3 pull ups
23x3 Shoulder press
20x3 pushups
6x3 chin ups
neck yes and nos
65x3 crunches
50x3 russian twists
80x3 bicycle crunches
Plank and Six inches

not diverse, no access to actual weights except a single dumbell...should have wrote strength training instead
almsn is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #60
almsn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I have not trained in a week and a half (weights and running) and noticed ive been losing muscle and 5 pounds. I go in the yard to mess around on the heavy bag and my speed and power were pretty freaky. I'm a puncher but my power and speed increased noticeably. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Maybe all the old school trainers are right about no weights
Got you my problem seems to be the opposite tbh .I used to hate when I hadn't done chin ups for a while in the gym I used to lose power also deltoid presses .I think i'd benefit alot more from a good strength session .Most of our power comes from your legs mate .The workout you said you usually do in post 5 mate i'd get some squats and lunges in there
almsn is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing