Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Khan-Prescott 2 makes the Most Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONSENSE2002 View Post
I said before the peterson fight i couldn't see khan beating prescott even made a thread about it
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Rarely do I agree with you but I think you made a few good points.

The obvious ways to beat Prescott is to either apply intelligent pressure on the inside (which Khan cannot do) or to counterpunch (which Khan has never done).

The height issue is another. Has Khan been schooled in fighting taller/bigger fighters; I'm not sure. Khan fights pretty 'tall', this wouldn't be as effective against Prescott.

Khan is fast enough to become a good counterpuncher, in terms of handspeed but reaction wise I'm not sure.

Stylistically Prescott is wrong for Khan. However, could Khan fight Prescott like Mitchell did... probably.
Lilo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
Phill-Mitchell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
Rarely do I agree with you but I think you made a few good points.

The obvious ways to beat Prescott is to either apply intelligent pressure on the inside (which Khan cannot do) or to counterpunch (which Khan has never done).

The height issue is another. Has Khan been schooled in fighting taller/bigger fighters; I'm not sure. Khan fights pretty 'tall', this wouldn't be as effective against Prescott.

Khan is fast enough to become a good counterpuncher, in terms of handspeed but reaction wise I'm not sure.

Stylistically Prescott is wrong for Khan. However, could Khan fight Prescott like Mitchell did... probably.
The three men who have beaten Khan are the three biggest men he's fought.

It seems clear to me that Khan is more effective against shorter fighters with less reach
Phill-Mitchell is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #18
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
Most of khans career he as always fought guys a lot smaller than hisself. Would you say that's a fair assessment ?
He does usually seem to have a size advantage Id say its a fair comment.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #19
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-Mitchell View Post

It seems clear to me that Khan is more effective against shorter fighters with less reach
Not necessarily. Garcia and Peterson are career LWWs and are not the tallest, so they are neither the heaviest or tallest opponents. For example, Judah and Malignaggi have won titles at WW. Neither of those used height/reach as a way of beating Khan. The only fighter who was clearly bigger/taller was Prescott.

You're right though is definitely more effective against shorter fighters. Compare how he'd get on against Burns and Rees as a rough example.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #20
Phill-Mitchell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Not necessarily. Garcia and Peterson are career LWWs and are not the tallest, so they are neither the heaviest or tallest opponents. For example, Judah and Malignaggi have won titles at WW. Neither of those used height/reach as a way of beating Khan. The only fighter who was clearly bigger/taller was Prescott.

You're right though is definitely more effective against shorter fighters. Compare are how he'd get on against Burns and Rees as a rough example.

Just saying, he tends to do better, the smaller they are imo
Phill-Mitchell is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #21
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
No offence to anyone, we all have our opinions but this thread just seems typical of ESB. Everything is either A or Z with nothing in between e.g. Khan either owns Prescott or is KTFO.

The 'intelligent' Khan or more accurately the 'focused-on-the-gameplan' Khan (a la Kotelnik) would be favourite against any of the three even now IMO. In a way the Maidana fight has proved to be his undoing, gave him a false sense of security about his chin and altered the way he fought afterwards.

All three can beat him in a rematch but Khan can beat all three too. None of them are elite and none of them are better than Khan. In order to beat them he would have to box to a plan and not get involved in any macho, chin related bullshit.

Its more than feasible that he can pull it off. All three fights should be easy to make too.

This is the only route he can take to get back to high end world level and he could do it.
very good post. ESB is the most fickle place before the Garcia fight people were like why fight prescott theres no need to avenge that loss. Loses to Garcia and now he'd get KTFO by a guy who can't fight for 12 rounds and lost to McCloskey
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #22
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Just saying, he tends to do better, the smaller they are imo
Nice work. Pics can be deceiving though especially the Garcia (he's stood closer to the camera) one but you can see that Prescott was the only taller guy.

What do you think though: If a 'Kotelnik type' Khan fought Garcia/Prescott/Peterson do you think he'd win?
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
BretN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Khan would box Prescotts head off and stop him late. Easy fight for Khan
BretN is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #24
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880

I'd pick Khan over Prescott in a rematch, but if he loses his career is finished. He needs to work his way back up again. Let him face a non-puncher first, then the make-or-break Prescott rematch. A big win in that and his career can get back on track, until the inevitable next time he is KTFO of course.
qwert is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #25
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Has Khan got back in the gym yet, every day i see him mouthing off on twitter.

Its head down arse up time if you want to salvage your career you cunt.
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #26
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I remember the time just before McCloskey when I said this was the fight to be made. Only me and Miguel2010 thought this. The reasons I made then are the same now, in addition to his subsequent losses.

I stated that Khan will always have trouble with fighters his size and bigger. I said that Prescott would always cause him problems.

He should stay away from WW for as long as he can, unless he fights Malignaggi.

Its funny how people's opinions change so quickly.

His next three fights should be Prescott, Peterson and Garcia. They are all winnable fights for him although won't be easy by any means.

Prescott as a homecoming, warmup. If he wins he builds momentum, the comeback angle will gather pace. Then should he beat Peterson and Garcia he'd be undisputed LWW champ and have done a Lennox.

Its the only way he can become credible at high end world level again, otherwise he'll be looked at as a kind of Zab Judah.
Yup. So much has happened since the McCloskey fight. He's suffered two back-to-back losses; with one of them being a pretty devastating stoppage.

The Prescott fight is a really good one to claw back some lost respect. But I wouldn't recommend it straight away, though. He's been exposed again and his confidence is back down in the pit like it was when Prescott brutalised him the first time. He needs a couple of soft touches and time in training to improve his game (if he's even able to), and then overcome his demons with Prescott. And in that time he and his team need to forget about moving up to WW. Just get that shit out of their head and stop trying to build his body for it. Let him remain at 140 where he's not actually that big.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #27
Rebel-INS
Mighty Healthy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

How did Prescott look against Figueroa?
Rebel-INS is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #28
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

I agree , Prescott ticks most boxes

The sceptics would criticise him for taking the fight , but the general public would warm to it , specially being in the UK

He loses the fight he duly retires having made several million for himself , he wins and begins the inroads to rebuilding
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #29
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretN View Post
Khan would box Prescotts head off and stop him late. Easy fight for Khan
This for me
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3166

Quote:

i noticed this after the presscott fight he needs all the pyhsical attributes in his favour the moment he does not he folds or flaps
ashishwarrior is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum