Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Boxers earnings and how many have to work / supplement income other ways

how many british boxers make all there income from boxing and dont have to supplement there income other ways

ricky burns was still working until recently and he was a world champ

paul smith seems to have made a few quid from boxing. got a big nice house in ormskirk i think. he was a dj one time and must have made a few quid from that

do many make the 40 k plus a year that the team gb make
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 4720
Default Re: Boxers earnings and how many have to work / supplement income other ways

I don't know percentages or anything, but the vast majority of "pro boxers" have always actually been semi pros in reality.
Some of them (usually big shot amatures etc.) get big contracts right from the get go, or at least big enough to make a decent living. But the rest have to work their way up to the big money fights before they can quit their jobs, while most of course never get there.

There are others though, who don't make enough money in their fights but are still full pros, by lending themselves as sparringparners for higher paid boxers.
Robney is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxers earnings and how many have to work / supplement income other ways

Tony Jeffries has become a personal trainer and run boxercise classes. I'm sure many more have done that (pretty sure Darren Hamilton too).

Didn't Danny Williams do security work?

Jeff Thomas said he did work on the door IIRC, which probably is the case for many others too.

Oisin Fagan was a maths teacher I think.

Billy Hardy worked in McGurks sports shop (I went in to see him when I was little).

Martin Rogan was/is a taxi driver.

Dereck Chisora is a full time clown.

Rendall Munroe was a binman.

Kevin Mitchell worked on the Tube.

Stuey Hall was a painter/decorator or something similar.

David Haye was a part time salesman apparently.

Its not uncommon outside world level, I'd wager that over 50% of British champions had another job at the time (not including fighters who surpassed Brit level). Just a guess though.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
wake up call
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It's all about levels and sponsorship.

If a kid hasn't come through as a star amateur he'll need to either work alongside boxing or hope he can get a few sponsors on board (often both).

On purses alone, these fighters won't be earning anything big until they have moved beyond domestic level.

For example, I know a former British champion who defended his title twice in one year and was paid 15k for each fight. That's only 30k but then you have to take off 25% manager's fee, 10% trainer's fee, cost of licence and medicals, cost of training expenses and tax. The boxer is often lucky if he keeps 50-60% of his purse.
wake up call is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
qwert
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
David Haye was a part time salesman apparently.

Is this true?
qwert is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Freakzilla
Yooo fookin' Rat
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
do many make the 40 k plus a year that the team gb make
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake up call View Post

For example, I know a former British champion who defended his title twice in one year and was paid 15k for each fight. That's only 30k but then you have to take off 25% manager's fee, 10% trainer's fee, cost of licence and medicals, cost of training expenses and tax. The boxer is often lucky if he keeps 50-60% of his purse.
In reality the 40k an amateur makes is worth a lot more than 40k a pro would make due to not having any of the above deductions taken off them
Freakzilla is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
donnie
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Shit didnt realise the amateurs got payed so much...40k is way more then the average UK wage, nice little earner (**** going pro unless your CERTAIN your gonna hit the big time)
donnie is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
Dennison
Guru
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post

Is this true?
he would have made more money as a salesman I reckon Him and fraudley could have started a company together like trotters independent
Dennison is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
Peter__1987

vCash:

Fraudley ATG salesman
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
wake up call
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Shit didnt realise the amateurs got payed so much...40k is way more then the average UK wage, nice little earner (**** going pro unless your CERTAIN your gonna hit the big time)
Only the GB boxers earn that level (and then its only a handful of them) and then they are walking a tight rope because they know that when they go to overseas tournaments, poor performances can mean that they are dropped from the podium squad and have their funding stopped, such has happened with the likes of Tommy Stubbs and Danny Price in the past 18 months.
wake up call is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Bog Cleaner
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I'm sure one boxer was running a cannabis factory
Bog Cleaner is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

I thought the GB lads got like 25,000?
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Dennison
Guru
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog Cleaner View Post
I'm sure one boxer was running a cannabis factory
has his name already been mentioned in this thread?
Dennison is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #14
Dennison
Guru
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundy View Post
I thought the GB lads got like 25,000?
each person is different, it is also tax free I believe and they get accomodation, food, bills paid for while there in camp so it's virtually pocket money. That's why they all have very nice cars
Dennison is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
skellington
Bogbrush
ESB Senior Member

Selling tickets is a big part of a pro boxers job. It's difficult.

People will say they'll come, but actually getting the money off them - a different story!
skellington is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum