Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #46
smigga#1

vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxers earnings and how many have to work / supplement income other ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
Yeah he'd be on nowhere near 300k!

Gotta remember that there's a massive argument that its Hearn who got the 10,000 strong crowds in by putting on a strong undercard and getting Brook a lot of exposure.

Before Hearn he wouldn't have sold out the Motorpoint, hell he couldn't now without a good undercard and a name opponent.
brooks on about 60-70 grand a fight
smigga#1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #47
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Default Re: Boxers earnings and how many have to work / supplement income other ways

Hows the Pigeon's Smigga?.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #48
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

So do boxers get taxed on their gross? Before all the deductions to trainers and managers? Or their net after that?
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #49
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
The money is absolutely shite. Believe me ... Or you, me as Richie would say. But I think the sport will now change for the better. More fighters matched against each other competitively, less need for journeyman.
brown bomber, why would that be a plus for boxing? 'Journeymen' boxers, are so often the characters of the sport, that make the TV.

For instance, I remember a 'Prizefighter Tournament', where this 'featherfisted' journeyman with a decent chin, and allegedly little else; took the tournament by storm, decking 'the name' and can proudly state, he never lost a match in the 'Prizefighter Tournament'.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #50
smigga#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrimc View Post
So do boxers get taxed on their gross? Before all the deductions to trainers and managers? Or their net after that?
on what you make in the end
smigga#1 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #51
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
Tony Jeffries has become a personal trainer and run boxercise classes. I'm sure many more have done that (pretty sure Darren Hamilton too).

Didn't Danny Williams do security work?

Jeff Thomas said he did work on the door IIRC, which probably is the case for many others too.

Oisin Fagan was a maths teacher I think.

Billy Hardy worked in McGurks sports shop (I went in to see him when I was little).

Martin Rogan was/is a taxi driver.

Dereck Chisora is a full time clown.

Rendall Munroe was a binman.

Kevin Mitchell worked on the Tube.

Stuey Hall was a painter/decorator or something similar.

David Haye was a part time salesman apparently.

Its not uncommon outside world level, I'd wager that over 50% of British champions had another job at the time (not including fighters who surpassed Brit level). Just a guess though.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqMflT-Kw2c[/ame]

David Haye used to model for Abiecrombie & Fitch, Versace and afew others.

Danny Williams, wanted to become a body guard post retirement. Danny Williams was one of the elite fighters domestically and european wise during his era, i doubt he had to work outside of boxing.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #52
smigga#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
brown bomber, why would that be a plus for boxing? 'Journeymen' boxers, are so often the characters of the sport, that make the TV.

For instance, I remember a 'Prizefighter Tournament', where this 'featherfisted' journeyman with a decent chin, and allegedly little else; took the tournament by storm, decking 'the name' and can proudly state, he never lost a match in the 'Prizefighter Tournament'.
jeff is far from a journeyman he comes to win and has had a good solid career and im sure he will get himself a title of some sort before he retires.

peter mcdonagh is another fighter widely regarded as a journeyman but is not he comes to win

if you come to win a fight your not a journeyman because journeymen turn up to lose which i what ruins the sport
smigga#1 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #53
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smigga#1 View Post
jeff is far from a journeyman he comes to win and has had a good solid career and im sure he will get himself a title of some sort before he retires.

peter mcdonagh is another fighter widely regarded as a journeyman but is not he comes to win

if you come to win a fight your not a journeyman because journeymen turn up to lose which i what ruins the sport
Well then my friend, I have a lot a higher regard for the term 'Journeyman' that you. What you talk of as a 'journeyman', personally I would call a 'bum'. And we all know the 'brown bomber' was no bum...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #54
smigga#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Well then my friend, I have a lot a higher regard for the term 'Journeyman' that you. What you talk of as a 'journeyman', personally I would call a 'bum'. And we all know the 'brown bomber' was no bum...
but i wouldnt say someone like johnny greaves or jody meikle is a bum they are journeyman who are used to build prospects/ticket sellers records and know there job is to go in cover up and lose

of course jeff isnt a bum he can fight!
smigga#1 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I wouldn't call any fighter a bum!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #56
smigga#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
I wouldn't call any fighter a bum!
Bear in mind these 2 are pros.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyTefRjUhM[/ame]
smigga#1 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #57
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Bear in mind these 2 are pros.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
alright, you got me! You got to admit though, both those lads showed plenty of bottle, if not boxing skills. They were both in there to win.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #58
ai786
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 236

Quote:
brooks on about 60-70 grand a fight
lol stop making up figures you dont know, one of Khan's mates Saj cussed brook on twitter saying he only made 150k for his fight with hatton, I'm guessing he was undercutting the figure to highlight that brook don't deserve to fight Khan.
I think 250-300k would be a more accurate figure. but no way 60-70 grand a fight, he sells out the motorpoint arena your talking about 550-600k average live gate alone. theres fighters out their that do no way near those numbers at the gate but still get paid high i.e their was a recent purse bid of $405k for Erislandy lara to face Vanes in an eliminator fight, and it will be placed on an undercard because it's not worthy of a main event on another day.

I agree boxers at the lower level get peanuts but if your name is Brook and your one of the few fighters that headline SkySports on a Saturday like Froch you will get deep 6 six figures and if wins that IBF belt he would be getting near 7 figures a defense, esp if their is interest from american networks on top.
ai786 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #59
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
The money is absolutely shite. Believe me ... Or you, me as Richie would say. But I think the sport will now change for the better. More fighters matched against each other competitively, less need for journeyman.

TV was ****ing it up in a lot of ways.
I hope your right and this happens, some journeyman are atrocious and I would say a danger to themselves. Guys with multiple KOs should have their licensed reviewed or be forced to fight softer opposition.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #60
Dennison
Guru
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai786 View Post
lol stop making up figures you dont know, one of Khan's mates Saj cussed brook on twitter saying he only made 150k for his fight with hatton, I'm guessing he was undercutting the figure to highlight that brook don't deserve to fight Khan.
I think 250-300k would be a more accurate figure. but no way 60-70 grand a fight, he sells out the motorpoint arena your talking about 550-600k average live gate alone. theres fighters out their that do no way near those numbers at the gate but still get paid high i.e their was a recent purse bid of $405k for Erislandy lara to face Vanes in an eliminator fight, and it will be placed on an undercard because it's not worthy of a main event on another day.

I agree boxers at the lower level get peanuts but if your name is Brook and your one of the few fighters that headline SkySports on a Saturday like Froch you will get deep 6 six figures and if wins that IBF belt he would be getting near 7 figures a defense, esp if their is interest from american networks on top.
you think Froch is getting near a million a fight there is an undercard to pay for, the venue, staff, equipment. Say if 9,000 people go and pay an average of 80 a ticket thats 720,000, but yeah of course Froch gets a million
Dennison is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum