ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Daily Diet suggestions

Currently 79kg, 5ft 10

Breakfast: Cornflakes with sugar

Lunch - Brown bread sandwich, with ham & reggae reggae sauce

Dinner - 1 of: Spaghetti, Steak & Chips, chinese, chicken & pasta

Exercise

3 times a week in gym (20 mins cardio, 30 mins weights)
1 time a week Muay Thai

Target weight 72kg

Any daily diet suggestions that are intresting (hate veg) and cheap and easy?

What are everyone else's daily diets??
donnie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Daily Diet suggestions

Try to cut out sugar - and sources of sugar - like Coca Cola , etc .

Some of my daily diet habits as I continue to drive myself into shape................

Porridge and Milk
Yogurt - Strawberry and Cocnut and Vanilla (organic)
Spaggetti Bolgonse with Mince and Pasta and Cheese
Chicken and Beans
Steak or Beefburgers with Salad
Chicken Curry and Boiled Rice
Pork
Beef
Potatoes.
Vegatables.

Tea and Milk (no sugar)
Orange Squash
Blackcurrent Squash
Summer Fruits Squash
Water
Grapefruit Juice
I was advised to cut out all "energy drinks" - like Lucazade and Red Bull and Kick, etc - because they are all choc a block with sugar and sugar is the enemy because it gives you a quick high and then a big comedown and the body turns all sugar into fat - so you can get really fat just by drinking fizzy drinks everyday

As a sweetner - I give myself a treat - of eating some chocolate - flake - maltesers - diary milk - galaxy.

(I try to avoid Ice-Cream and Choclate deserts like Cake and Gateuxs and Trifles , etc - beacuse they just make you sluggish and fat)
White Tiger is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
billyjoeyali

vCash: 500

Try to ensure you get plenty of fruit and vegtables, as far as salad leaves go the darker the better! Plenty of quality protein IE: Chicken, Turkey, Eggs, Fish, quality steak once in a while. As far as carbs go make sure they are brown IE: Wholemeal bread, brown rice etc. 'Healthy fats' are important, fish oils, nuts, fish...

Just noticed you say 'hate veg' if you really wont eat it then take some multi vitamins.
billyjoeyali is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
bam-bam
Journeyman

Not sure if this is a pisstake, I read "breakfast - cornflakes with sugar" and decided it must be....surely
bam-bam is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
donnie
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam-bam View Post
Not sure if this is a pisstake, I read "breakfast - cornflakes with sugar" and decided it must be....surely
Nah, nah, no pisstake....just clueless about diets etc, especially as porridge tastes like shit
donnie is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cut the sugar out from your cornflakes. Substitute with fresh fruit like bananas or berries.
Use skim milk.
Also, it sounds like you're not eating enough during the day and loading up a lot at dinner time.
Three square meals plus lots of snacks in between (i.e. eating 6+ times a day) with a moderate dinner will speed up your metabolism and be better for digestion. Remember, i'm not exactly saying eat MORE, just spread it out better. And once your metabolism speeds up and your diet is healthier, you actually can eat a little more - while seeing results.

Screw the chinese food. Unless you're making it yourself, it's chock full of fat, sodium and simple carbs.
Pasta - stick with whole wheat pasta. Easily available and cooked the same way, just needs to boil a little longer.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This is what I'm currently doing.

Breakfast:

1 cup cooked oatmeal with cinnamon, a bit of honey and about a dozen blue berries. Sometimes a cup of grits flavored with hot sauce.
2 cups coffee

Lunch:
Grilled chicken breast(no skin)
Nice bowl of fresh garden salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrots and celery with a bit of olive oil and vinegar or low cal salad dressing.
Fruit---just about any kind, but not done to excess.

Snack:
Green tea
More fruit

Dinner:
4-6 oz piece of lean meat such as pork loin, chicken breast(no skin), fish.
Steamed Broccoli, cauliflower or another bowl of salad.
1 cup brown rice cooked in home made chicken or beef stock(low sodium).

I'm also drinking about a half gallon of water a day and eat nothing past 8 p.m.

I do have a day each week I'll cheat a bit to keep things from getting stale, usually either Saturday or Sunday.

Stay away from sugars, sodas, alcohol,many fruit juices due to sugar and high calories, white bread, potatoes, white rice, corn and for sure, chips with high calorie and sodium numbers.

I've lost 12 lbs. in the last 3 weeks on this diet and once you get use to it, it's not bad at all. Hardest thing for me is the lack of beer and my rum and coke ****tails I use to drink every night.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Cut the sugar out from your cornflakes. Substitute with fresh fruit like bananas or berries.
Use skim milk.
Also, it sounds like you're not eating enough during the day and loading up a lot at dinner time.
Three square meals plus lots of snacks in between (i.e. eating 6+ times a day) with a moderate dinner will speed up your metabolism and be better for digestion. Remember, i'm not exactly saying eat MORE, just spread it out better. And once your metabolism speeds up and your diet is healthier, you actually can eat a little more - while seeing results.

Screw the chinese food. Unless you're making it yourself, it's chock full of fat, sodium and simple carbs.
Pasta - stick with whole wheat pasta. Easily available and cooked the same way, just needs to boil a little longer.
Not sure why you tell him that he must use skimmed milk, considering we don't know the quantity fat he is actually taking in each day

The debate of meal frequency on metabolism has been over for some time. It doesn't make a difference. Keep your meal frequency the same if you want OP.

Also, have white pasta/bread/rice if you want, just make sure you're getting plenty of fibre throughout the day.

Quantify your intake, adjust accordingly with weight loss or lack of. Best way to do this is to determine your protein/carb/fat and fibre intake goals for the day and hit them with foods of personal preference that also allow for micronutrient sufficiency. Don't get caught up in "YOU CAN'T EAT HIGH GI FOODS BRO!".
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Not sure why you tell him that he must use skimmed milk, considering we don't know the quantity fat he is actually taking in each day

Also, have white pasta/bread/rice if you want, just make sure you're getting plenty of fibre throughout the day.
Sounds like you know a lot more about nutrition than i do. But based on the limited info we're given, and the fact that he wants to lose weight, the best we can do is make assumptions and suggestions.

So not pretending i'm an expert, or I have any insight on his diet, but my reasons are: if your diet's not completely solid, and you want to lose weight, lower fat is usually not a bad thing.
And whole wheat vs. white for satiety to last longer (avoid binging at dinner time) and improve digestion.

He said he doesn't know much about diets, so i figure more basic info might be more useful at this time, before getting into macronutrients.
Feedback's always appreciated though.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Sounds like you know a lot more about nutrition than i do. But based on the limited info we're given, and the fact that he wants to lose weight, the best we can do is make assumptions and suggestions.

So not pretending i'm an expert, or I have any insight on his diet, but my reasons are: if your diet's not completely solid, and you want to lose weight, lower fat is usually not a bad thing.
And whole wheat vs. white for satiety to last longer (avoid binging at dinner time) and improve digestion.

He said he doesn't know much about diets, so i figure more basic info might be more useful at this time, before getting into macronutrients.
Feedback's always appreciated though.
Macros are the first thing I encourage anybody looking to 'improve their diet' to start with. It's the most efficient way to do things without subscribing to fad diets or eliminating foods when it isn't necessary.

Whole wheat generally is more satiating, no arguments there; but I think it should be clear that going with white bread/pasta/rice isn't 'bad'.

Last thing I'd like to touch on is that fats are essential and you need to ensure you're getting sufficient fats and again, this simply comes back to tracking macros. I'm not saying the guy has to study nutrtional sciences extensively, but tracking macros is a great starting point.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
bam-bam
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Nah, nah, no pisstake....just clueless about diets etc, especially as porridge tastes like shit
Ok mate. I try and alternate breakfasts between cereal and eggs. It's less boring, knock sugar on the head, get your sugars from fruit (fructose as opposed to sucrose) don't split it down to egg whites either, these fats are good. If you have eggs on toast make it wholemeal. On non training days try and tail arbs off as the day goes on, ie cereal/toast for breaky, maybe a sandwich for dinner if it's wholemeal, but don't then go and have a big pasta on the night too.

On training days keep the carbs mostly for after training too. Muscle food. It doesn't matter if you have white pasta after you've trained because fast acting carbs and spiking insulin is good.
bam-bam is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Ok mate. I try and alternate breakfasts between cereal and eggs. It's less boring, knock sugar on the head, get your sugars from fruit (fructose as opposed to sucrose) don't split it down to egg whites either, these fats are good. If you have eggs on toast make it wholemeal. On non training days try and tail arbs off as the day goes on, ie cereal/toast for breaky, maybe a sandwich for dinner if it's wholemeal, but don't then go and have a big pasta on the night too.

On training days keep the carbs mostly for after training too. Muscle food. It doesn't matter if you have white pasta after you've trained because fast acting carbs and spiking insulin is good.
Just because they are 'good fats' doesn't mean that consuming too many of them isn't going to be detrimental to your goals.

Why? Carbs aren't going to be converted to fat just because he eats them later in the day, they're going to be used for next days training. I eat a carb heavy meal later in the evening on rest days if I'm training early the next day.

Again why would you do this when carbs provide you with the best source of energy for your training? Some people like to train fasted or whatever, but deliberately minimizing carb intake until POST-workout is a bit bizarre.

It doesn't matter if you have white pasta at any point during the day, providing it fits into your overall intake requirements.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
bam-bam
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Just because they are 'good fats' doesn't mean that consuming too many of them isn't going to be detrimental to your goals.

Why? Carbs aren't going to be converted to fat just because he eats them later in the day, they're going to be used for next days training. I eat a carb heavy meal later in the evening on rest days if I'm training early the next day.

Again why would you do this when carbs provide you with the best source of energy for your training? Some people like to train fasted or whatever, but deliberately minimizing carb intake until POST-workout is a bit bizarre.

It doesn't matter if you have white pasta at any point during the day, providing it fits into your overall intake requirements.
No matter what i look for online, there is conflicting evidence/studies etc. for each suggestion. I'm not saying rustle yourself up a 30 egg omlette, I'm saying it's pointless separating egg yolks. I don't know his fat intake, neither do you, werent you pulling somebody up about this very thing earlier in the thread..? Getting hung up on fats. By the looks of it his main food intake is carbs.

If his options on a night are between, pasta, pasta or chips, and e's wondering why he's he's heavy..? He's obviously not burning enough calories to warrant this sort of carb intake. So either up your training, or lower your calories.

Well there's high gi and low gi. Slow release and quick release. Quick release replaces glycogen quickly. This is where Leucine and glucosamine can come in for post workout stuff. But the sort of training he's doing there will be no point in going into this sort of thing. I was just saying no need to worry about whole meals etc after training. It can actually be better to get white.
bam-bam is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
No matter what i look for online, there is conflicting evidence/studies etc. for each suggestion. I'm not saying rustle yourself up a 30 egg omlette, I'm saying it's pointless separating egg yolks. I don't know his fat intake, neither do you, werent you pulling somebody up about this very thing earlier in the thread..? Getting hung up on fats. By the looks of it his main food intake is carbs.

If his options on a night are between, pasta, pasta or chips, and e's wondering why he's he's heavy..? He's obviously not burning enough calories to warrant this sort of carb intake. So either up your training, or lower your calories.

Well there's high gi and low gi. Slow release and quick release. Quick release replaces glycogen quickly. This is where Leucine and glucosamine can come in for post workout stuff. But the sort of training he's doing there will be no point in going into this sort of thing. I was just saying no need to worry about whole meals etc after training. It can actually be better to get white.
But it's not pointless separating egg yolks if it results in a caloric defecit being jeopardized. I'm not sure what part of the statement I made requires me to know his fat intake or is hypocritical of me 'pulling another user up'.

Erm, yes; but the problem isn't the late night carbs, it's the amount of calories. You expressed your advice in a manner that suggests that late night carbs are somehow bad outside the context of your overall diet.

The GI of foods is determined by feeding overnight fasted subjects a carbohydrate in isolation. If you combine a fibre/protein/fat source the GI is blunted and loses relevence.

Jdsm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing