Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default What if Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns had swapped resumes.......

........after their first fight in 1981 ?

Picture it. Who Ray fought,Thomas fought and vice versa. Hearns fights Bruce Finch in early '82,then has a two year lay off. Comes back,fights Kevin Howard,then retires again before coming back for Marvin Hagler in 1987 etc.

Ray Leonard,after beating Hearns in '81 vacates the Welterweight crown and fights Ernie Singletary in the Bahamas and takes the career course that Hearns did.

Thoughts ?
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: What if Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns had swapped resumes.......

You just done changed the game.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: What if Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns had swapped resumes.......

First off, it's quite apparent that Hearns took the tougher fights from here on in.

Leonard should beat Duran and Benitez at 154. Probably loses to Hagler at MW and he'd have lost to Hill at LHW. I think he'd have beaten Barkley although that's a fight he actively avoided. I see him retiring after Hill beats him.

Hearns, well he comes back 5 years later and gets blitzed by Hagler before never boxing again.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

**** knows why he avoided Barkley he'd have beaten him with ease.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
**** knows why he avoided Barkley he'd have beaten him with ease.
I completely agree, Barkley lost to everyone bar Hearns.

Leonard was always about the risk-reward ratio so I'm guessing it didn't fit in for him in this instance.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
You just done changed the game.

Que ?
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think Leonard beats everyone, Benitez - already done it, Duran - already done it, Hagler - did it albeit over 12, Hagler didn't really deteriate too much, Barkley - easy work.

Now maybe Hill is a bridge too far but I think a smallish technician who he can outspeed is maybe the ideal opponent for Leonard at LHW
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I think Leonard beats everyone, Benitez - already done it, Duran - already done it, Hagler - did it albeit over 12, Hagler didn't really deteriate too much, Barkley - easy work.

Now maybe Hill is a bridge too far but I think a smallish technician who he can outspeed is maybe the ideal opponent for Leonard at LHW
Hill had a greatly timed Jab though, I'm not sure that version of Leonard could cope with such technical proficiency.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Leonard would beat everyone Hearns beat during 1982 through 1984. He would drop a close decision to Marvin Hagler in 1985. After this he'd beat the others that Hearns beat,Post Hagler. James Shuler,Denis Andries etc. Ray would also beat Iran Barkley and James Kinchen.

Hearns would replicate Leonard's victory over Bruce Finch then retire. Two years later,he'd come back with a lacklustre win over Kevin Howard then retire again. Three years later in April 1987 he'd finally meet Marvin Hagler. This would last quite a bit longer than their real fight. Mainly because Hearns would box more cautiously due to his long lay off. This would work in his favour as his longer reach would come to the fore and would outbox Marvin for lengthy spells. However,once Hagler finally sucks Tommy into a brawl,the Hitman gets knocked out late in the fight.
Hearns retires but comes back a year later to beat Donny Lalonde.

It is now Summer 1989,and we all know who Ray and Thomas would fight next !!!!!
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Gesta
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300

Quote:

Then why didn't he?
Gesta is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Hagler - did it albeit over 12, Hagler didn't really deteriate too much

I don't even think Leonard beat Hagler in their 1987 fight, but to say Hagler didn't deteriorate much between 85-87? Do you really believe that? He looked great in '85, terrible in '87. There aren't too many people who'd argue otherwise.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesta View Post
Then why didn't he?
Do what fight Barkley or fight Hill? He beat Duran after Duran beat Barkley and Leonard was obviously semi-retired and done in '91, nearer his best without the innactivity maybe he beats Hill, he beat Lalonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
I don't even think Leonard beat Hagler in their 1987 fight, but to say Hagler didn't deteriorate much between 85-87? Do you really believe that? He looked great in '85, terrible in '87. There aren't too many people who'd argue otherwise.
Looked terrible He had problems in '87 with Leonard's speed, defence and movement, prior to that he'd never fought anyone with that style or ability. He also had problems with Duran's defence and counter punching in '82

Nah Leonard beat a Hagler near his peak as far as I'm concerned, Leonard was the 1 coming off inactivity having not fought a title fight in 5-6years. A younger Leonard may have done much better himself

Hagler revisionists
Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Do what fight Barkley or fight Hill? He beat Duran after Duran beat Barkley and Leonard was obviously semi-retired and done in '91, nearer his best without the innactivity maybe he beats Hill, he beat Lalonde

Looked terrible He had problems in '87 with Leonard's speed, defence and movement, prior to that he'd never fought anyone with that style or ability. He also had problems with Duran's defence and counter punching in '82

Nah Leonard beat a Hagler near his peak as far as I'm concerned, Leonard was the 1 coming off inactivity having not fought a title fight in 5-6years. A younger Leonard may have done much better himself

Hagler revisionists
I feel ya pain here PP. Apparently it's worse for Hagler to knock out his number 1 contender (mugabi) then it is for Leonard to spend 5 years in retirement. This victory is quite underrated imo.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:

Hagler revisionists

I agree in that a younger Leonard would have done better, and finished stronger.

However, the only revisionism going on here is you stating that Hagler was very much close to his best in '87, like I said, you're going to be hard pressed to find many who agree with you on that.

Duran's defence and style is very different to Leonard's. Duran actually stood in with Hagler, Leonard was on his bike the whole night, throwing flurries at Marvin's gloves and shoulders. I give full credit to Leonard for the win, as that's how the judges saw it and it was close, but in my personal opinion, Hagler won.
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
I agree in that a younger Leonard would have done better, and finished stronger.

However, the only revisionism going on here is you stating that Hagler was very much close to his best in '87, like I said, you're going to be hard pressed to find many who agree with you on that.

Duran's defence and style is very different to Leonard's. Duran actually stood in with Hagler, Leonard was on his bike the whole night, throwing flurries at Marvin's gloves and shoulders. I give full credit to Leonard for the win, as that's how the judges saw it and it was close, but in my personal opinion, Hagler won.
Again the arguments for saying Hagler wasn't at his best was because Leonard himself outboxed and outsped him. When was he ever going to be quicker than Leonard? Ofcourse not

The other argument was 'he lost a step against Mugabi' and took more punches in that fight. But it was a very dominant performance against a Mugabi who was very strong, quick with a high pressure style

On that basis you're comparing those 2 fights to a 9 miniute brawl in 1985 against a fighter without the greatest chin or strength to chasing down a speedy mover in 1987, ofcourse the fights are going to have no resemblance to 1 another

What other evidence is there? None other than Hagler was 32, but Leonard was 30 himself and again inactive. No doubt both fighters would have trained to get in peak condition for such a super fight

Duran is different to Hagler, but it's not a coincidence Hagler looked less impressive against the 2 most skilled opponents that he faced

The Hagler excuse train runs pretty thin, I'll repeat if anything a more active younger Leonard would be more improved than a 2year old younger Hagler if they fought

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum