Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Boxing Books on pre-1950 figthers...

It looks like the thread I was looking to revive has been archived, so I will begin a new one. I have a few questions.

1) Has there ever been a book written on Charlie Mitchell?
2) What are the best books on Greb and Ketchell, and are either worth the time?
3) Any recommended book on 1930's-1940's middleweights? That's an era I would like to investigate more.
Seamus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Default Re: Boxing Books on pre-1950 figthers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
It looks like the thread I was looking to revive has been archived, so I will begin a new one. I have a few questions.

3) Any recommended book on 1930's-1940's middleweights? That's an era I would like to investigate more.

1. No but a lot of Charlie is covered in Adam's terrific books on Sullivan and Corbett.

2. There was a fairly recent Greb book that is pretty good.

3. Men of Steel
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

" Any recommended book on 1930's-1940's middleweights? That's an era I would like to investigate more. "

BRITISH,

Len Harvey - Prince of Boxers
Jock McAvoy - the Rochdale Thunderbolt
Bert Gilroy - Gilroy was Here!

all excellent & thorough accounts, and gripping reads.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

reading the sam langford book right now by claye moyle. very good so far. easy to understand an has a good flow
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Cmoyle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

"It looks like the thread I was looking to revive has been archived, so I will begin a new one. I have a few questions.

3) Any recommended book on 1930's-1940's middleweights? That's an era I would like to investigate more." No books written about Charlie Mitchell that I'm aware of. He did produce an instructional book titled 'Art of Boxing' in 1891. The best book current available concerning Harry Greb is by Bill Paxton and is definately worth the time in my opinion. One of my favorite reads was 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' by Rocky Graziano & Rowland Barber. Raging Bull by Jake LaMotta is another good read. It would be nice to see more biographies produced about some of the middleweights from that era. I'm working on one about Tony Zale with his nephew Ted Zale that we hope to finish soon.

Last edited by Cmoyle; 08-23-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spacing
Cmoyle is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
1. No but a lot of Charlie is covered in Adam's terrific books on Sullivan and Corbett.

2. There was a fairly recent Greb book that is pretty good.

3. Men of Steel
Thanks!

I read Adam's Sullivan book. I think Mitchell deserves his own book. He was a bad ass with a mouth on him.

Is that the Fearless Harry Greb? $48 on Amazon... that might have to wait.

I will check out Men of Steel.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032

Rocky grazianos Fantastic bio ''somebody up there likes me'' is on ebay right now 4.99
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoyle View Post
"It looks like the thread I was looking to revive has been archived, so I will begin a new one. I have a few questions.

3) Any recommended book on 1930's-1940's middleweights? That's an era I would like to investigate more." No books written about Charlie Mitchell that I'm aware of. He did produce an instructional book titled 'Art of Boxing' in 1891. The best book current available concerning Harry Greb is by Bill Paxton and is definately worth the time in my opinion. One of my favorite reads was 'Somebody Up There Likes Me' by Rocky Graziano & Rowland Barber. Raging Bull by Jake LaMotta is another good read. It would be nice to see more biographies produced about some of the middleweights from that era. I'm working on one about Tony Zale with his nephew Ted Zale that we hope to finish soon.

Good on ya clay!
I maintain correspondence with Al Hostaks son. If you need him holla
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Charley Burley, The Life & Hard Times of an Uncrowned Champion by Allen S. Rosenfeld

This book is tremendous and covers many more fighters than just Burley. It's the best account of the Welterweight and Middleweight scene in the 30's and 40's that I've come accross.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAKKA View Post
Good on ya clay!
I maintain correspondence with Al Hostaks son. If you need him holla
I used to drink in Holstak's regular bar, the Georgetown Tavern in South Seattle. Met him there once. It has since been torn down, and of course Holstak has passed.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Zale always maintained the greatest he ever fought was Al HostaK
Looking over Zales resume that pretty remarkable. Definitely a candidate for underrated.
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Cmoyle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

"I used to drink in Holstak's regular bar, the Georgetown Tavern in South Seattle. Met him there once. It has since been torn down, and of course Holstak has passed."

You used to live in Seattle? I was born and raised in the area and live approx. 30 minutes south. My grandfather saw Hostak fight and always talked about what a vicious body puncher he was. About 23 years ago I read an article about him and realized he lived in the area. I phoned him and had a great conversation. He was in his mid-70s at the time and agreed to come down to the Hillman City Gym to meet me and show me a few things. Real nice guy and what a treat it was to watch him work the heavy bag.
Cmoyle is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
"I used to drink in Holstak's regular bar, the Georgetown Tavern in South Seattle. Met him there once. It has since been torn down, and of course Holstak has passed."

You used to live in Seattle? I was born and raised in the area and live approx. 30 minutes south. My grandfather saw Hostak fight and always talked about what a vicious body puncher he was. About 23 years ago I read an article about him and realized he lived in the area. I phoned him and had a great conversation. He was in his mid-70s at the time and agreed to come down to the Hillman City Gym to meet me and show me a few things. Real nice guy and what a treat it was to watch him work the heavy bag.
I'll give you one worse. I attended a certain somewhat infamous liberal arts college in your backyard.

Yeah, Al was really nice and very cool. I was a lot younger but even then sensed meeting him was a moment to be savored. So much of the great past and character of Seattle was erased in the 90's tech boom. There are no more Georgetown Taverns with nickle jukeboxes, one dollar pancake breakfasts and shuffleboard... and a middleweight champion as a regular patron (i think he even might have been part owner but not sure)...
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Cmoyle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I used to live in a a loft condominum in a great old building in Pioneer Square for a few years. Still a number of great old taverns in that part of town but many have disappeared and much of the landscape is changing.

On another subject, I had breakfast with Boone Kirkman earlier this week. He's 67 now and doing well. He's an avid hiker, goes out two-three times a week and is looking fit as a result.
Cmoyle is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I used to live in a a loft condominum in a great old building in Pioneer Square for a few years. Still a number of great old taverns in that part of town but many have disappeared and much of the landscape is changing.

On another subject, I had breakfast with Boone Kirkman earlier this week. He's 67 now and doing well. He's an avid hiker, goes out two-three times a week and is looking fit as a result.
Cool. I saw a good article about Boone a few years ago. He seemed to be doing well. It's crazy when you look at old fights on boxrec the amount of great fighters from Sullivan, Johnson and on who fought in Portland, Astoria, Tacoma. Seattle and Vancouver, in arenas no one remembers. A history of NW boxing needs to be done some day, both homegrown fighters and greats who fought here.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum