Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Default What do people think you do?

I see a lot of those "What my friends/mother/co-workers think I do" posters online, and it makes me laugh and wonder what kind of things others come across when you tell people what you do.

For example, I used to kickbox (now just box) and it used to irritate me when I mentioned it to co workers, I would ALWAYS hear "oh my sister does that" or "oh my wife/girlfriend does that".
And though I fully acknowledge that there are serious female fighters out there, I know they are actually picturing this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

My mom thinks I'm a UFC fighter.

And my dad tries to give me dumb-ass tips, even though he was never a fighter except for intra-mural boxing in grade school - nice try but sit down n****ah. (ok I don't actually say that to my dad but...).

Anyone else?
Speechless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
nufc_jay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: What do people think you do?

I think you post dumb threads in wrong forums
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Default Re: What do people think you do?

And I don't care what you think. Next...
Speechless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,202
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What do people think you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
I see a lot of those "What my friends/mother/co-workers think I do" posters online, and it makes me laugh and wonder what kind of things others come across when you tell people what you do.

For example, I used to kickbox (now just box) and it used to irritate me when I mentioned it to co workers, I would ALWAYS hear "oh my sister does that" or "oh my wife/girlfriend does that".
And though I fully acknowledge that there are serious female fighters out there, I know they are actually picturing this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

My mom thinks I'm a UFC fighter.

And my dad tries to give me dumb-ass tips, even though he was never a fighter except for intra-mural boxing in grade school - nice try but sit down n****ah. (ok I don't actually say that to my dad but...).

Anyone else?
The whole world is like your dad when it comes to combat sports. People even with zero experience think it is as simple as getting in and start punching.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
karategan
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Default Re: What do people think you do?

when I tell people I'm an amateur boxer, I can already see them picturing me in a pro ring in a high-class venue and just going toe to toe full blast for rounds and rounds with blood streaming down our face like gladiators.

I remember when I won one of my fights, my friend asked me which round. I told him it's only 3 rounds so decision and he went, "WHAT? Only 3 rounds???" Then I wuz liek, "MOTHER****ER NOT 'ONLY' THREE ROUNDS; IT'S THREE ****ING ROUNDS!"

Yep.
karategan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maryvale
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Default Re: What do people think you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karategan View Post
when I tell people I'm an amateur boxer, I can already see them picturing me in a pro ring in a high-class venue and just going toe to toe full blast for rounds and rounds with blood streaming down our face like gladiators.

I remember when I won one of my fights, my friend asked me which round. I told him it's only 3 rounds so decision and he went, "WHAT? Only 3 rounds???" Then I wuz liek, "MOTHER****ER NOT 'ONLY' THREE ROUNDS; IT'S THREE ****ING ROUNDS!"

Yep.
yep
AZ_40 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 335
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What do people think you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
I see a lot of those "What my friends/mother/co-workers think I do" posters online, and it makes me laugh and wonder what kind of things others come across when you tell people what you do.

For example, I used to kickbox (now just box) and it used to irritate me when I mentioned it to co workers, I would ALWAYS hear "oh my sister does that" or "oh my wife/girlfriend does that".
And though I fully acknowledge that there are serious female fighters out there, I know they are actually picturing this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

My mom thinks I'm a UFC fighter.

And my dad tries to give me dumb-ass tips, even though he was never a fighter except for intra-mural boxing in grade school - nice try but sit down n****ah. (ok I don't actually say that to my dad but...).

Anyone else?
Well thanks to the number of commercialised kick boxing classes 'out there' that everyone thinks its an aerobic hobby of some sort that ladies enjoy. At least you get to see some *****-high-kicks flitting about.

Better still, just dont tell anyone what you do. Let them figure it out. It's better that way.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What do people think you do?

Look up "Body Combat". That is what people seem to think I used to do when I tell them I used to do kickboxing.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Default Re: What do people think you do?

lol at body combat. If I ever fight someone and celtic techno music comes on...I'll know it's serious business.
Speechless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
#1Rounder
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 75
Default Re: What do people think you do?

I don't tell anyone I train in boxing/mma.. I think some family members know, but I didn't tell them..
#1Rounder is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 335
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What do people think you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Look up "Body Combat". That is what people seem to think I used to do when I tell them I used to do kickboxing.
I did as you suggested. What a ****ing awesome 'sport'!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Pugsley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013