Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #76
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ufc 151 officially cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranon View Post
**** Jon Jones ! wtf he won't fight a shit middle weight on 4 days notice who wasn't even training to fight ? Which by the way should tell all you bonetards how pathetic a division 205 really is.To bad Chaels not a washed up pride fighter, fight would have happened ......

Look at the top 10 MW rankings. Half those guys are refugees from 205. The undisputed #1 contender to Silva's title is a guy with 9 career fights.

Which division is shit again?
Thom is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #77
dranon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Chael would likely lose to Jones' last five opponents.
So why not fight him? And wouldn't be To confident that even though chael isnt great and and is a middleweight at that he couldn't have wrestled ****ed both Rua and Rampage to a Decision, both are shot badly and nowhere near what they used to be. Also Chael may suck but he would whoop Brandon Vera's ass.

Last edited by dranon; 08-23-2012 at 11:06 PM.
dranon is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #78
dranon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Look at the top 10 MW rankings. Half those guys are refugees from 205. The undisputed #1 contender to Silva's title is a guy with 9 career fights.

Which division is shit again?

Your point? When did I say 185 was over run with talent?
dranon is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #79
2ironmt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i don't like Jones, but it's hard to totally pin this on jones. jones imo rightfully doesn't dig chael's schtick of talking his way into fights. jones could've screwed chael and agreed to fight Wideman who I hear was also willing. But, he didn't and i think the majority of the blame should be on the UFC for not having a strong enough undercard to prepare for a possible injury (it's not like every recent card hasn't been bitten by the injury bug). also, because the main event was sooo important to this card, the ufc should've been on top of both camps so that any injury pull out decision gets made promptly (hendo should've been forced to make a call when the tear occurred) and maybe jones and some other lhw coulda considered a fight with a couple weeks notice (as opposed to like 8 days)
2ironmt is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #80
BeReal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I have a feeling Jones will change his mind. His PR people will talk to him and he'll probably announce tomorrow he will fight.
BeReal is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #81
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeReal View Post
I have a feeling Jones will change his mind. His PR people will talk to him and he'll probably announce tomorrow he will fight.
I don't know, I'm sure a lot of people have already refunded their tickets and whatnot. It may be too late to turn back, now.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #82
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
You're right scurla. What Dana should have done, is be pleased that Jones killed the card by refusing to fight. Dana should have released a statement where he kissed Jones' ass, said that Machida was a better opponent anyway, and pretended that the cancellation was a good thing.

Injuries happen, that's an unfortunate part of the sport.

Jones can take an easy defence (that will still pay him well) vs an undeserving big-name guy who is the same base style as Henderson but who is undersized, not really in shape, and has virtually no chance to win.

Or, Jones can crash the entire card. **** the millions of dollars the UFC has already spent to set up and promote this card. **** the dozen or more fighters on the card who don't have Nike deals and who were relying on the paycheck.

Still, since you're not happy with Dana being mad and saying so, what should Dana's response have been?

Dana publicly kisses Jones' ass - would that have been better?

Dana mad in private but releases public statement backing Jones' decision - would that have been better?

Dana mad as hell, thinks Jones made a selfish decision, and says so in public and private - what the **** is wrong with that?

Dana has nobody to blame but himself and his matchmaking team. They decided to put together a garbage card with one fight worth anything. One fight should not crash an entire show. Joe Rogan can cry till the cows come home but the fact of the matter is, Dana is the decision maker and he ****ed up by placing an entire card based on one fight.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #83
BeReal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ugh, that would suck if true Rob_Floyd. Jones could beat Chael pretty easily imo, he's so naturally gifted. If 151 does end up cancelled, its a major step back for Jones in trying to "build his brand"
BeReal is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #84
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeReal View Post

Why would Jones want to reschedule? Because people are pissed and he's getting flack? So what? A lot of people don't ****ing like him anyway. Controversy sells. Look at Mayweather. Jones gets points on the PPV. The card next month is going to get a much higher buyrate than Jones/Sonnen would have, and if the UFC wants him to fight Sonnen, they're going to have at least four or five months to let Sonnen rope in the marks by running his mouth in the media. Turning down the fight was a win for Jones. If he keeps winning, he'll make more money in the long run.

I say again, it was Zuffa's fault that the card was cancelled. When you have Jay ****ing Hieron in the co-main event of a "major PPV," there's a serious problem on the promotional end of things.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #85
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefman180 View Post
The card wouldn't have gotten cancelled if not for Jones.

That's as close to "Jones cancelled the card" as you can get.

He decided he was above doing his job.
His job was to fight Henderson, not to fight some random a week out.

Jones didn't cancel the card, Dana cancelled the card. If Dana wanted to he could have pushed the card on, hell he could have reduced the price of it to entice buyers, he could have tried to push it to a TV network if need be.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #86
JohnJohn
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

The UFC is starting to emulate some of Boxing's bad habits by cobbling together one fight pay-per-views. **** Dana White for having no contingency plan other than last-minute Sonnen.
JohnJohn is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #87
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

Dana's Reaction:
Quote:
Jon Jones was given the options and told the consequences.
Didn't know he was CEO, COO or President of Zuffa/UFC. So why would he care one iota about the other fighters on the card, he isn't their mother.

Quote:
He knows what happened. Machida was in the air when we were trying to make the fight. I can accept why Machida didn't take the fight.
So its not Machida's fault for not taking this fight on 8 days notice. why not Dana?

Quote:
I understand that.
I don't.

Quote:
Greg Jackson told Jones there's no way you take the Chael Sonnen fight on eight days notice. Said it would be the biggest mistake of his career. Greg Jackson is a f***ing sport killer. I've never heard anything like this in my entire life.
So Dana hasn't heard about contingency planning and quality control. hmm...

Quote:
The first fight cancelled in UFC history and the first champion to ever turn down a match. That's how Jones will be viewed
I know he's heart broken, the dominate title run will be so tarnished that he didn't fight a bloated loud mouth so Dana White could trick gullible fans out of $50 bucks.

Quote:
Jon didn't take the fight because of the advice from Greg Jackson. I always laugh when fighters say ''I'm a businessman''...no you aren't.
Yes Dana they are. Jones' deal with Nike says as much.

Quote:
You're a fighter. We're 7 days out from the fight and we don't have time to find a new main event.
Maybe that's why you don't put on cards worth exactly one fight. Wonder how much profit he was planning on squeezing from such a piss poor card anyway?

Quote:
Jon Jones acting like this? Just can't do it.
He did.

Quote:
I was never crazy about UFC sponsorships. I'm the wrong guy to ask. I hate it.
No shit, most negotiators like to cut off their employee's other avenues of revenue. Keeps them compliant.

Quote:
We'll figure out what's going on with the other fights. I have no idea what the fallout will be for the undercard but we'll figure it out.
Cry and blame Jon Jones for your shitty match making.

Quote:
This really changes the relationship with Jon Jones.
Not really.

Quote:
We're losing a ton of money on this. PPV, marketing. Everything.
So let me get this straight, Dana White and the Mafia bros. decide to pour tons of money into a card that has exactly 1 notable fight on it and couldn't foresee anything going wrong. What happened if Jones was injured, you're going to throw Henderson in with Sonnen? Garbage as **** fight that shit would be.
Quote:
I learned we're not doing the fight an hour ago. It was a refusal to fight anyone on that day. This card had to get cancelled.
No you could have taken a hair cut, reduced the price of the card or tried to push it to a TV network. You decided to cancel to keep face on your undying plan to never reduce the price of a PPV.
Quote:
Where we're at right now it had to be cancelled. We've never had a champion refuse to fight a guy. I say it all the time that there's always crazy stuff I have to deal with. We built this industry. We know exactly what we're doing.
Apparently not well enough if you're bitching is anywhere nearly as heartfelt as what you want to make it seem.

Quote:
There's going to be things that pop up like injuries. And apparently now, guys that don't want to fight anybody. It's got nothing to do with how we do things.
Yes it does. You overstocked your schedule and you put on garbage cards with exactly one fight worth a damn.
Quote:
Me and Lorenzo are both disgusted.
At your own lack of foresight?

Quote:
Jon hasn't been a popular fighter and I doubt this helps his popularity.
Look at the Nike Deal, and ask Mayweather how's he doing on the upset fans problem.

Quote:
We had no problem doing Chael. Did it make sense? No. But these guys have been talking smack and Chael was the guy who accepted it. Chael was pumped. Chael was excited for this fight. He told me to tell Jon Jones there wouldn't be any spinning back fists.
Translation, this was a garbage fight that was a waste of time for Jones and we wanted him to go back on his word for making Chael earn the title shot.

Quote:
We spent a lot of money. Billboards in Times Square. The media. Everything. It's a massive massive hit.
Quote:
Being a fight promoter, you can't make someone fight. I can't say ''you have to fight this Saturday.''
Yes actually you can Dana, you can cut him. Of course you won't do that because you aren't as genuine in your crying as you claim.

Quote:
You're either a fighter or you're not.
Well if he isn't your organization must be utter shit to have a non-fighter dominating a division.

Quote:
This is what we all do for a living. I have a building where 250 people have been busting their ass to promote this card. Good for you Jon Jones that you don't need this fight. There's a bunch of guys on the undercard who need this fight to feed their families
Didn't Know Jon Jones was their mother. It isn't his duty to take care of other fighters personal business. Hell he has less obligation to them as they are all independent contractors and don't even belong in a Union together.
Quote:
I can't make him take the fight but he should.
Quote:
I can tell you this right now that he's not turning down the Machida fight. If I get a call today saying he's not taking the Machida fight we'll have another conference call.
Wait, so you just said you can't make him fight but now you can? Why do I get the feeling you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Quote:
We should have the bout agreement. He didn't ask for money to fight Chael Sonnen. Who else would I bring in to fight Chael Sonnen? People wanted to see the light heavyweight title fight. There would be people who would like it and people who wouldn't.
Obviously Jones didn't like it and he turned it down as it wasn't his duty to protect you from your own greed.
Quote:
What I do know is that Chael Sonnen would have fought his ass off to try and be the world champion.
And he's won diddly dick.
Quote:
Those are the guys I like.
Yes Loud mouths do tend to make a lot of money. Even Ricardo Myorga was making Don King money LONG after he ceased being a threat.
Quote:
Those are the guys I respect. And those are the guys that built this sport.
translation: made me rich, built the sport.... meh same to me.

Quote:
This is one of the selfish disgusting decisions.
I agree, you trying to sell people garbage is selfish and disgusting.

Quote:
It doesn't just affect Jon Jones. I don't think this is going to be a decision that makes people like Jon Jones.
Translation: Damn you Jon for getting between me and that money.

Quote:
I don't care what Greg Jackson thinks.
You know one of the guys who built the sport... **** him.
Quote:
Saying that turning down a fight with Chael Sonnen is the biggest mistake of his career? Greg should only be interviewed by a psychiatrist.
Translation: Doesn't he know my money comes first?
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #88
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
"Dan Henderson got hurt, and our fight was canceled. As difficult as it is to deal with everything that's happened, I just didn't feel like I had enough time to prepare both physically and mentally for a fight with a new opponent. I just didn't feel I had enough to prepare properly and perform at my best. Whether Chael Sonnen actually deserves a title shot really isn't my place to say. But if he wants to fight on Sept. 22, then I'm fine with that."
- Jon Jones
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #89
Str8ryte
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

You serious?At the people downing Jones for not fighting Sonnen, Sonnen doesnt ****in deserve a shot at Jones title, he just had a title shot and got his ass kicked and you want to talk shit about Jone for not giving him another a shot? Get a ****in' clue & **** Dana white.
Str8ryte is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #90
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Champion turns down a fight in a sport that may die off in a few years. Wow! and Im a Jones fan.

The UFC should write a contract that has a substitute option in case someone gets injured. How this is not done is unbelievable.
chimba is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum