Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #91
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ufc 151 officially cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
The UFC is starting to emulate some of Boxing's bad habits by cobbling together one fight pay-per-views. **** Dana White for having no contingency plan other than last-minute Sonnen.
yep thats funny because dana always disses boxing
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #92
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
The UFC is starting to emulate some of Boxing's bad habits by cobbling together one fight pay-per-views.
And by having champions who are now rich enough that they can afford to pick and choose their title challengers, even to the extent that entire events are cancelled after everything has been booked and everyone's training camps are all but done.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #93
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Guess Jones wasn't lying when he said that he wouldn't give Chael a shot without earning it.
Glad he stuck to his guns.

Chael who?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #94
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
I'm not convinced that Jones knew that the whole card would be scrapped if he turned down Sonnen. If it's true, that's weak, but if not, then he was just sticking by what he said earlier. He said that he wouldn't let Sonnen talk his way to a title shot, which would have been basically 100% the case had this fight happened. Sonnen has done literally nothing at 205 to deserve a top five opponent, let alone a title shot. He hasn't done anything at 205 since losing to Babalu seven years ago.
That card got scrapped because it was shit. Like many of the UFC PPV's this year they've been very low on value. Plus as you say Sonnens done nothing to warrant a shot at the 205 title after doing nothing at 85
Seriously this crap is turning into the WWE. If anyone is to blame here its Dana for putting on a shit card (minus Jones Hendo of course) in the first place.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #95
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tko4 View Post
Which is Rogan's way of saying, "Hey, we know it'a s pointless and stupid fight, but we all want to get paid!" It's not Jon Jones job to pay those guys or put on good cards.
Don't come in here talking sense like that. WTF is wrong with you man?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #96
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta View Post
Dana has nobody to blame but himself and his matchmaking team. They decided to put together a garbage card with one fight worth anything. One fight should not crash an entire show. Joe Rogan can cry till the cows come home but the fact of the matter is, Dana is the decision maker and he ****ed up by placing an entire card based on one fight.
Don't waste you're time with that two bob card board cut out cunt. He deliberately homes in on anything i say because he's a cunt. Then he argues for the sake of arguing and defends the UFC unwaveringly like a good guard dog because he's a cunt. That prick has no business in this forum let alone even voicing an opinion. Know nothing cunt that he is.

This is what one poster wrote on Junkie and he's SPOT ON. This card was crap from the beginning. Dana showed his true colours alright. I hope Jones is paying attention when Dana laughs at his assertions that he's a businessman..Thats the same crap he pulled on Tito and Rampage. The mans a whore without a shred of principle.

Quote:
Dana is ridiculous.

First of all, if you are going to make a last minute switch to your main event, make it somebody that stands a shred of a chance!! Sonnen has ZERO wins at LHW in the UFC, and has done NOTHING to be in the talks as a replacement.

Secondly, stop blaming this on Jones. Had this card not been complete garbage (with the exception of Jones vs Hendo), then the UFC could have shuffled a few fights around, and boom, things are fixed. Instead, they put together one of the biggest wastes of PPV money (that is, the Fans' PPV money) and put 1 good fight on this card. That's the real reason this is being scrapped, is because the UFC failed to put a good co-main event, and main card together from the start. If the fans stop buying whatever crap PPV cards the UFC puts out, they will be forced to stop watering them down, and get them back to being worthy of our hard earned money again.

Dana did not lose near as much PPV dollars as he thinks. This card was extremely lackluster, and I doubt it came close to any records in sales at all.

Props to Jones for not going back on his word and letting Chael "talk his way to a title shot". He didn't even win one fight since being destroyed by Anderson. He is NOT the guy that should have been offered to Jones at all.

Absolutely ridiculous that he throws his LHW champ under the bus like this, rather than admit him and the Fertittas ****ed up when they put this crappy card together in the first place.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #97
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jones didn't **** the UFC over. He just didn't bend over and bail them out when they needed him to.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #98
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
Jones didn't **** the UFC over. He just didn't bend over and bail them out when they needed him to.
Damn right, it was not like he was booked to fight on that card anyway...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #99
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Damn right, it was not like he was booked to fight on that card anyway...
He signed a contract to fight Hendo. Hendo has pulled out through injury. I wish Jones had taken the Sonnen fight but he doesn't have to. Zuffa made it a one fight PPV and Hendo got injured and Sonnen was a panic move anyway as Jones has more or less cleaned out LHW. The irony is that I think Sonnens trash talk may have backfired on him as I think Jones doesn't want to give him a shot after him talking so much bollocks.

People have been moaning for years about Zuffa not paying the fighters enough and treating then like shit. Now these guys are getting big bucks (from Nike etc) this will happen more and more.

Anyway, a lot of this is WWE type bullshit. The Sonnen fight will be huge sold off teh back of a 'will they wont they' soap opera. Hendo V Jones will be sold off the back of genuine elite fighters in competition. They're probably all in on it together.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #100
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think he should have taken the fight, would have done him good to beat up Chael

The UFC have to take the flak for the amount of weak cards, Jones has to take the flak for not stepping up. Nobody wins in this scenario now, no one
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #101
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I think he should have taken the fight, would have done him good to beat up Chael

The UFC have to take the flak for the amount of weak cards, Jones has to take the flak for not stepping up. Nobody wins in this scenario now, no one
I think he should have as well. But I'm a fan, just like you. But from the Jones/Jackson axis of evils point of view: 1. More money will be made if they fight down the line. 2. Chael really doesn't deserve a title shot. 3. **** Dana and the UFC, show him that we know our worth and things are different now.

I do not believe for one second this decision was made out of fear of losing to Sonnen. I just can't see that at all.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #102
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2000

Plumitting PPV sales,papering the house to make it look full for TV and now this.Looks good on these carpetbaggers.Take that Dana.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #103
Will Munny
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Hendo and Sonnen are nothing alike. Hendo CURRENTLY isn't half the wrestler Sonnen is, but he's a much better striker. Jones is wise not to take the fight. The Hendo fight would have been a slug fest, the Sonnen fight would be a grind. He needs more than eight days to adapt to the styistic change. No reason to take any unnecessary risks.
Will Munny is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #104
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
I do not believe for one second this decision was made out of fear of losing to Sonnen. I just can't see that at all.
I bet Chael wont see it that way in his next ''promo''...brace yourself for the threads about it when he does speak next
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #105
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I bet Chael wont see it that way in his next ''promo''...brace yourself for the threads about it when he does speak next
Which is why I said this all smacks of a WWE style manufactured storyline. There was no angle for Jones Sonnen as he got beat twice by the guy a weight division below. Now they have the 'he ducked me' angle.
EL BULLY is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum