Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #46
Dorfmeister
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Why does Oscar get grief for fighting Forbes yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
He makes fair points though.
No he doesn't dan-b and that is not disrespectful to UliUli. Steve Forbes is not a "very decent" fighter as a tune-up for that Mayweather fight at 150/154 pounds. 2 Pound will have to grow into that weight and should know he doesn't have a good enough chance... So basically he is selling himself for the right price, not that he will dive like LaMotta against Fox, but this is all about Hoya looking good for the sake of that September PPV and potential buyers. Hoya-Forbes can never live up to what was a punch-fest Trinidad-Mayorga and let's not forget that both Mayorga and Tito were promoted by Don... Forbes was robbed by GBP against D-Hop, won against another GBP fighter Francisco Bojado, sparred with Hatton for GBP and now is working to promote another GBP fight in Sept... If he was to prepare Hoya and nothing more, there was no need for an official, professional fight. It is not illegal but stinks all the same.
Dorfmeister is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #47
Shadowbox39
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
vargas a brawler??? dude honestly im not sure youve seen him fight... lol... vargas had nothing to fall back on when someone hit them harder??? lol... your blind man. Out of 10 full rounds against oscar.... vargas won 4... lol... 'only on the ropes'... uuuh... i dont know what world you live in but it doesnt matter where your winning... lol.

vargas was no brawler, and that was no ****ing clinic.
Did you watch the fight? Did Vargas not try to impose his will by throwing nothing but power punches when he was able to push DLH to the ropes?? Did DLH not put on a clinic in the middle of the ring, landing jabs at will and making Vargas look slow and technically unsound? Did Oscar not knock Vargas into oblivion to be saved by the ref while he was out on his feet?? Wake up man, Vargas was destroyed by DLH.
Shadowbox39 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #48
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbox39
Did you watch the fight? Did Vargas not try to impose his will by throwing nothing but power punches when he was able to push DLH to the ropes?? Did DLH not put on a clinic in the middle of the ring, landing jabs at will and making Vargas look slow and technically unsound? Did Oscar not knock Vargas into oblivion to be saved by the ref while he was out on his feet?? Wake up man, Vargas was destroyed by DLH.
that's only because de la hoya is a better boxer from the outside, so vargas had to try to brawl.

in his previous fights, he liked to pick his spots when to brawl, but was very adept at boxing.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #49
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001

Quote:
are you being for real or you giving me shit???

do you know who won the first round?
do you know who won the third round?
do you know who won the fifth round?
do you know who won the ninth round?

oh... and i loosely quote

hoya taking more punishment in the first 5 rounds of this fight, then he hes ever taken in the first 5 rounds of any fight
Jim Lampley

im not quite sure you know what a clinic is...

or, you need to quit watching the highlights on youtube and watch the full fight.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #50
Shadowbox39
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
tito did a lot of damage to vargas, and even the golden fishnet said "yeah, I added to the damage that tito did to vargas".
So, I guess Tito is then damaged now by boxers with real technical skill after what DLH, Wright and RJJ did to him? Not mention what a stronger B-hop did to him by knocking him out? If you all want to use what Tito did to Vargas as an excuse for the guys later fights, then we might as well use the same psycology for Tito! And yes I called Vargas a brawler because as you agreed, that is what DLH essentially turned him into...or exposed him for....you could argue either way! Vargas' technical skills never impressed me much..even before he was destroyed by Tito.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #51
kaygb
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
When trinidad used mayorga as a comeback/tune up type fight... mayorga was still considered somewhat dangerous..... he still had never been hurt in a fight, and was only ONE fight after being the Welterweight champion of the world....

adding to that tito hadnt fought in two years himself, and nobody knew if his chin, power, stamina, or ANYTHING would be there to deal with mayorga...

i dont see how that can in any way be compared to hoya picking forbes as a fight....

It can't Kirk. Good post! There is no way to condone Oscar picking Forbes for a tune-up. He's TWO weight classes below him. TWO. Oscar will be 160 fight night. It's just a fight to get Oscar back in the win column and leave the Oscarexuals feeling he's the greatest. I can't believe Oscar has to go to a 5'4"
140 lb. fighter to be assured he could win. He could and will never beat the elite. He never has. And now going to "B" fighters?? And will it be PPV?? Don't be surprised. After all he stuck some of you for the Yori-boy fight didn't he?
kaygb is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #52
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygb
It can't Kirk. Good post! There is no way to condone Oscar picking Forbes for a tune-up. He's TWO weight classes below him. TWO. Oscar will be 160 fight night. It's just a fight to get Oscar back in the win column and leave the Oscarexuals feeling he's the greatest. I can't believe Oscar has to go to a 5'4"
140 lb. fighter to be assured he could win. He could and will never beat the elite. He never has. And now going to "B" fighters?? And will it be PPV?? Don't be surprised. After all he stuck some of you for the Yori-boy fight didn't he?
wow man long time no see
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #53
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

DLH is just hated by WAY too many, you can't change that. It happened many times as well, an extremely popular rich fighter always has more haters than fans, and even if the fans were more the haters show up first.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #54
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
So, I guess Tito is then damaged now by boxers with real technical skill after what DLH, Wright and RJJ did to him? Not mention what a stronger B-hop did to him by knocking him out? If you all want to use what Tito did to Vargas as an excuse for the guys later fights, then we might as well use the same psycology for Tito! And yes I called Vargas a brawler because as you agreed, that is what DLH essentially turned him into...or exposed him for....you could argue either way! Vargas' technical skills never impressed me much..even before he was destroyed by Tito.
a guy changing his style for one fight doesn't define his style overall.

did dlh gave tito a brutal beating? No.

did tito give vargas a brutal beating, knock him down 5 times, and then vargas promptly got dropped and hurt in his next fight against the so-so power of rivera after having never tasted the canvas before fighting vargas? yes.

did oscar not say "i added to the damage that trinidad did to vargas"?

and tito was damaged, mentally, after his losses. that's why he can't even decide if he wants to fight or not.

oh i retire, oh i come back, oh i retire again, oh i come back again.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #55
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar
DLH is just hated by WAY too many, you can't change that. It happened many times as well, an extremely popular rich fighter always has more haters than fans, and even if the fans were more the haters show up first.
scar m'man... can you please tell me how im wrong though? you cant see that mayorga at the time was a much riskier and better choice of opponent then forbes???
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #56
Shadowbox39
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
are you being for real or you giving me shit???

do you know who won the first round?
do you know who won the third round?
do you know who won the fifth round?
do you know who won the ninth round?

oh... and i loosely quote

hoya taking more punishment in the first 5 rounds of this fight, then he hes ever taken in the first 5 rounds of any fight
Jim Lampley

im not quite sure you know what a clinic is...

or, you need to quit watching the highlights on youtube and watch the full fight.
Yes he WAS taking damage from a guy trying to KO him quickly....but what DLH did to turn it around and win with pure boxing skill over might was what I call a clinic. After some of the power punches he took from Vargas most thought he was a done deal in that fight...but what he did to perservere in that fight was amazing.....you were probably shocked on your couch watching it...going, "I can't believe what he is doing to Vargas now after the punches he took..." (getting warm yet ) He essentially did what Tito has never done....beat a guy using nothing but pure skill when his power wasn't enough....as in case with the RJJ onesided loss last Sat night.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #57
2ironmt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

oscar talks like he wants to make fights for the fans too much which makes his choice of forbes a guy who doesn't hit hard at any weight and whos a good 5 inches shorter a suspect choice. obviously odlh is entitled to a tune up but why not fight a fringe contender type at light middle or thereabouts?
2ironmt is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #58
kaygb
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
wow man long time no see
Always look forward to your posts Kirk
kaygb is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #59
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygb
It won't be PPV, it will be free on HBO. But I agree with the rest, so rest easy
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #60
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

Quote:
wow

you are so far in left field... that it honestly boggles my mind.

Shadowbox... and im not trying to be rude here m'man but you have to learn a few things...

1 - Vargas took a life and career altering beating at the hands of tito. Do you realise he doesnt remember that whole fight? He was not just knocked off balance a few times, he was hit so hard that his brain stopped working and he hit the deck... and took brutal shots for a period of over a half an hour...

how in the world are you gonna compare the damage a person takes to the likes of what hoya did to tito? or wright?

that makes completely no sense at all... vargas was hospitalized after the tito fight bigtime...

and its OBVIOUS to anyone who has seen the fights that the vargas after tito is NOTHING compared to the vargas pre tito. post tito vargas would have never beat ike or winky... and probably wouldnt have stopped ross thompson (who i believe went the distance with Jeff lacy and pavlik)

2 - brawler?

margarito is a brawler
mayorga is a brawler
barrios is a brawler

vargas boxed when he had to (campas, marquez, winky)

the guy was 110-6 or some shit as an amature, youngest amature champion ever and went to the olympics...

HE WAS A BOXER... lol... he had a terrific straight right, and threw textbook one twos and left hooks, his footwork pre hoya was awsome... and opponents often wouldnt know what punches were coming cuz he threw an array of punches...

im not holding anything against ya cuz honestly i can see your eather young or a new fan...
kirk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum