Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
definition

vCash: 500
Default Beginners gloves for a woman?

I'm 60kg (132 pounds) and just started at my local club. I've done a few sessions (women's only) which has involved bag work, shadow boxing, skipping and circuits. The gloves I've been using from the club offer little protection (sore little finger). I'm moving into a seniors session which is mainly men as I want to learn more about correct technique and eventually have the opportunity to spar. I've got handwraps and know how to put them on, but would like my own gloves.

I know I want a leather pair (something that will last) but can't decide on size. Would you recommend 12oz or 14oz for my first pair?
definition is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Beginners gloves for a woman?

12oz Twins!
Jappa is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Ovee
Journeyman

depends, are you gonna do sparing? if so check the glove size requirements your club has as I burnt myself a bit in the begining by buying smaller size gloves, bought 14s my club requires 16s. Check it out and I recommend Addidas,everlast, lonsdale or any of the big brands for a beginner. you don't anything overly pricey for just sparring and bag work.
Ovee is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovee View Post
depends, are you gonna do sparing? if so check the glove size requirements your club has as I burnt myself a bit in the begining by buying smaller size gloves, bought 14s my club requires 16s. Check it out and I recommend Addidas,everlast, lonsdale or any of the big brands for a beginner. you don't anything overly pricey for just sparring and bag work.
That was my main worry, but as I've just started I think sparing might be a good 6 months away. I wanted a leather pair so they last, went to a couple of local places today and tried several pairs on. Ended up with 12oz Twins Specials (as suggested by Jappa). They were the best fit and 10% off sweetened it!

When it comes to sparing I'll have to invest in another pair or use the sweaty ones in the gym
definition is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
democritus2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by definition View Post
That was my main worry, but as I've just started I think sparing might be a good 6 months away. I wanted a leather pair so they last, went to a couple of local places today and tried several pairs on. Ended up with 12oz Twins Specials (as suggested by Jappa). They were the best fit and 10% off sweetened it!

When it comes to sparing I'll have to invest in another pair or use the sweaty ones in the gym
pshaw! That's nothing, wait till you borrow someone else' sweaty headgear.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Ovee
Journeyman

Yea its one of the worse things to do. You get your hands out them gloves or your head out that headgear and you just smell like months of other people's sweat. Not to mention if there is a shortage you might have to share gloves and it sucks putting your hands into someone elses soggy gloves.
Ovee is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Yeah.

I've just come back from sparring, 16oz twins are equally as nice but they are really big, if suggest another brand but make sure the padding is nice and thick where the knuckles are and fits well. I swear by my twins 10s and 16s.

Goodluck in training.
Jappa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing