Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #16
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike McCallum would have knocked out Thomas Hearns at 154lbs. Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
It's not strictly limited to 154.Hearns would be a bastard to beat at either 147 and 154.When you have a fighter with his boxing ability,his speed and power,with the type of physical dimensions that he has......tough day at the office.

McCallum's durable,smart,defensively sound and versatile,so the the possibility of him beating Hearns down the stretch isn't a ridiculous one,I suppose.Always looked a plodder on the front foot,though - McCrory(which is the closest stylistic comparison to Hearns) gave him a very,very competitive fight.
Not really. He won the early rounds, then McCallum took control. It was not a come from behind KO in any way. Mike was in control, ground McCrory down and took him out.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #17
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Location: Challenging you and pushing your body to it's full limit
vCash: 500
Default Re: Mike McCallum would have knocked out Thomas Hearns at 154lbs. Discuss.

The only point in which McCallum took control of that fight was in the last three rounds after he hurt McCrory in the eighth.Prior to that,a very close fight.And I never said he was losing,either.
Goyourownway is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Not particularly close at all. And a drubbing towards the end.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think it's very likely McCallum knocks Hearns out. Hearns jab and speed win the early rounds but McCallum would be working the body, pressuring and Hearns would be weakened down the stretch leaving him open to McCallum to walk him down and knock him out. Hearns just wouldn't be strong enough to hold McCallum off down the stretch

The 15 round distance really suits McCallum here though
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
The only point in which McCallum took control of that fight was in the last three rounds after he hurt McCrory in the eighth.Prior to that,a very close fight.And I never said he was losing,either.
I think the fight was going in his favour before that. After the first five or so. From the 8th to the finish it was all McCallum.

I don't see that as a "very competitive fight". It was competitive for a while, but certainly not the whole fight.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
I find this notion about an invincible Hearns at 154 a bit puzzling. It's really all based on two wins. They were both very impressive, but Duran was a faded former LHW and Benitez (whom Hearns outboxed but never really managed to hurt) was a former WW.

So beating two fighter that were very inferior in terms of physical dimensions makes him invincible even though he became decidedly human when movin up just 6 lbs? Isn't a reasonable conclusion that he could struggle also with JMWs that had dimensions as MWs more or less? If guys like Roldan, Barkley etc could him such trouble at 160, why couldn't for example Mugabi and Jackson do something similar at 154?

Mike didn't have their punch, but he was at least as big and much more skilled.
I agree with you.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

It's a damn shame this fight didn't come off. Arguably the two greatest LMW champions in history, both prime in the same era yet never fighting each other.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

I think Mike TKO's Tommy late somewhere between the 12th-14th after being behind on the scorecards.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #24
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Not particularly close at all. And a drubbing towards the end.

You'll speak when spoken to in future,lad.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Who is this dick?
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Who the **** you calling lad you soft cunt?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
It's a damn shame this fight didn't come off. Arguably the two greatest LMW champions in history, both prime in the same era yet never fighting each other.
I like Hearns, but I wonder why he doesn't get more stick for ducking McCallum. It's one of the most blatant duck jobs in modern boxing, I'd say.

That Duran took on Hearns even though Mike was the mandatory is a duck in a more formal sense. It was not as if Hearns was seen as a less formidable foe, quite the opposite if anything, and fighting him brought much more money and also unification.

But Tommy had every chance of giving Mike his deserved chance after he dispatched of Duran. It was really the thing to do. Instead he defended against much inferior challengers and then moved up to MW.

The reason is probably that Steward thought Hearns would lose to McCallum.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
They were stablemates & sparring partners, IIRC McCallum was supposed to fight Duran but Steward got Hearns the fight instead. After that Mike left Kronk & moved to New York.

I think Mike wins more often than not against Hearns, I just cant see Hearns outboxing him for 12 rounds without getting hurt at some point. The speed & power advantages Hearns has are offset by Mike's masterful technique & granite chin.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Who the **** you calling lad you soft cunt?

Take a wild guess.Can't imagine why that would draw such a volatile reaction out of you,but to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Who is this dick?

My previous alt was called "Popkins".

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum