boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mike McCallum would have knocked out Thomas Hearns at 154lbs. Discuss.

I'm not sure I could call it a duck when he fought the much more regarded hagler.

I don't think Hearns is feeble enough that the ko is a big possibility here and I think he's a better boxer than Mike was.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #32
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Default Re: Mike McCallum would have knocked out Thomas Hearns at 154lbs. Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
Take a wild guess.Can't imagine why that would draw such a volatile reaction out of you,but to each his own.

My previous alt was called "Popkins".
Considering we've had no previous interactions and you've just posted a schneide comment, why do you think I threw a similarly bolshy comment back?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
I like Hearns, but I wonder why he doesn't get more stick for ducking McCallum. It's one of the most blatant duck jobs in modern boxing, I'd say.

That Duran took on Hearns even though Mike was the mandatory is a duck in a more formal sense. It was not as if Hearns was seen as a less formidable foe, quite the opposite if anything, and fighting him brought much more money and also unification.

But Tommy had every chance of giving Mike his deserved chance after he dispatched of Duran. It was really the thing to do. Instead he defended against much inferior challengers and then moved up to MW.

The reason is probably that Steward thought Hearns would lose to McCallum.
Probably because he unified with Duran and moved up to face Hagler instead then stayed at 160-175. McCallum was supposed to face Duran instead but Steward pushed for Hearns-Duran, think McCallum was ****ed with Steward for that

McCallum wasn't a big name, wasn't Amercian, wasn't flashy but he was obviously very very good. He ended up with the relinquished belt fighting against top contenders that also weren't big names

I'm sure McCallum was calling for fights with Hagler too, at least he says he was and he was annoyed years later with Hagler, he must have been chasing the fight

Last edited by PowerPuncher; 08-24-2012 at 11:43 AM.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #34
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I'm not sure I could call it a duck when he fought the much more regarded hagler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Probably because he unified with Duran and moved up to face Hagler instead then stayed at 160-175.
He had two defenses of his JMW title before Hagler. One of them should have been against McCallum.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #35
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
He had two defenses of his JMW title before Hagler. One of them should have been against McCallum.
In an ideal world, but McCallum won the vacant WBA title after Hearns last fight at 154. Aside from Kalule McCallum's resume was thin at that stage
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #36
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think McCallum was a Kronk fighter at the time.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

If McCallum was really chasing a Hagler fight he would have moved up to middle and tried to get fights with others contenders like Herol Graham did.

Duran and Hearns were likely on his radar more than hagler.
lora is online now  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #38
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Thoughts?

If Hearns forgets about being The Hitman and boxes in his Motor City Cobra personna,he decisions McCallum. A gung ho Hearns gets stopped.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #39
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Thoughts?
I'm a big fan of both fighters and McCallum by KO would definitly be my #1 choice. If it turns into a slugfest, McCallum's got a great combo of chin/power/defense. He'd weather the storm and take him out, but it would take him more time than with Jackson. If Tommy wants to box, Mike would find an opening at some point with his great jab and great footwork. I don't see Hearns reacting well to McCallum's power and old school skills.
Brownies is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #40
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

No way Mike McCallum knocks out Hearns at 154 lbs, I don`t see that at all... I like McCallum, he`s a brilliant tehnician but I think Hearns keeps the fight a range for the majority of the fight tho & nobody outpoints Thomas Hearns from range.

McCallum will definitely have his moments but Hearns beats him IMO, by clear UD.

Hearns was absolute peak at this weight, look at how he outboxed Benitez, those close scores were a complete joke, Hearns dominated him, he`d do likewise to McCallum.

For the record, I rank McCallum as the 2nd best LMW ever behind Hearns (I know this is a H2H thread but I`m just letting you know )
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #41
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
I like Hearns, but I wonder why he doesn't get more stick for ducking McCallum. It's one of the most blatant duck jobs in modern boxing, I'd say.

That Duran took on Hearns even though Mike was the mandatory is a duck in a more formal sense. It was not as if Hearns was seen as a less formidable foe, quite the opposite if anything, and fighting him brought much more money and also unification.

But Tommy had every chance of giving Mike his deserved chance after he dispatched of Duran. It was really the thing to do. Instead he defended against much inferior challengers and then moved up to MW.

The reason is probably that Steward thought Hearns would lose to McCallum.
Steward thought Hamed would beat Barrera too... then go on to become the best FW of all time sometimes opinions can be wrong & sometimes embarrassingly wrong.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #42
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post

I don't think Hearns is feeble enough that the ko is a big possibility here and I think he's a better boxer than Mike was.
I agree, I think Hearns was just a better fighter & McCallum is not normally a one punch knockout puncher, there`s no way McCallum is going to get inside enough to score more points than Hearns without taking the most damage, Hearns puts on a clinic & boxes his way to a clear decision, having Mike in trouble once or twice & surviving a couple of rocky moments himself, nothing too serious tho, Hearns is just better.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #43
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
In an ideal world, but McCallum won the vacant WBA title after Hearns last fight at 154. Aside from Kalule McCallum's resume was thin at that stage
Yeah, but he was an old stable-mate who had been sidestepped when Hearns got the shot at Duran. Hearns had every chance to make that right, but Steward probably just plain out didn't want to. I think he implied as much in an interview not too long ago.
Bokaj is online now  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #44
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Is there any evidence that mccallum was chasing the fight with hearns?

It was slightly before my time so i'm unsure.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #45
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
No way Mike McCallum knocks out Hearns at 154 lbs, I don`t see that at all... I like McCallum, he`s a brilliant tehnician but I think Hearns keeps the fight a range for the majority of the fight tho & nobody outpoints Thomas Hearns from range.

McCallum will definitely have his moments but Hearns beats him IMO, by clear UD.

Hearns was absolute peak at this weight, look at how he outboxed Benitez, those close scores were a complete joke, Hearns dominated him, he`d do likewise to McCallum.

For the record, I rank McCallum as the 2nd best LMW ever behind Hearns (I know this is a H2H thread but I`m just letting you know )
How can you be so dismissive of this possibility?

Hearns got stopped in pretty brutal fashion by ww Leonard, Hagler and Barkley, and badly hurt by Kinchen and Roldan amongst others. While McCallum knocked out Julian Jackson, Milton McCrory, Donald Curry and Michael Watson. I mean, we can quibble about what happened at what weight etc, but the evidence shows that Hearns was vulnerable and that McCallum could be a killer. I don't understand how you can be so dismissive in light of such evidence. McCallum fights absolutely nothing like Benitez. McCallum would be coming for Hearns all night, walking him down, chopping away at the body, looking for the decisive head shot. I think it's perfectly reasonable to feel that, at some point, a great technician and powerful puncher like MM would find the punch that some of Hearns's other opponents also found against him.

I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion that MM KO's him, nor that anyone with a big punch would eventually stop Tommy, not at all. But I find your dismissive response a bit much, all things considered.
Kittikasem is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum