Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #46
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike McCallum would have knocked out Thomas Hearns at 154lbs. Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Is there any evidence that mccallum was chasing the fight with hearns?

It was slightly before my time so i'm unsure.
This must have come when Hearns were moving up. Don't know if he'd done it earlier as well:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Continuing his reign of terror on the junior middleweight division, the “Body Snatcher” faced challenger and former Kronk teammate David Braxton. Abandoning his usual strategy of attacking the body the champ went headhunting. The match was stopped at 2:26 of the eighth round with Braxton suffering cuts around both eyes. The cut on the left eye went through the eyelid, leaving referee Roberto Ramirez little choice but to stop the proceedings. “This was our strategy,” said McCallum. “They all thought I’d work his body but instead I just kept putting the left jab in his face. From previous fights I knew he’d cut.” McCallum felt he was bypassed for any title shot while training at the Kronk Gym in favor of stable mate Thomas Hearns. ”Beating one Kronk fighter was great, but now I want another,” said McCallum. “I want Tommy Hearns next. Beating him would be retribution.”

Another:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Interestingly I heard an interview of Mike McCallum where he seemed very bitter at Marvin Hagler for not giving him a shot. He claimed Hagler ducked him and he has carried that through the years. Hagler could have fought him but I wouldn’t call it a duck. McCallum didn’t move up to 160 until Hagler retired in 1987. So as my rule goes you can’t duck a man who is not in your division. Now I do think Hearns should have fought McCallum. McCallum and Hearns were titlist at super welterweight at the same time for a few years and they never fought. Some say Emanuel Steward kept Hearns away from McCallum. With McCallum’s body punching and late round pedigree that would have been a helluva fight.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #47
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Mike McCallum would have knocked out Thomas Hearns at 154lbs. Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
How can you be so dismissive of this possibility?

Hearns got stopped in pretty brutal fashion by ww Leonard, Hagler and Barkley, and badly hurt by Kinchen and Roldan amongst others. While McCallum knocked out Julian Jackson, Milton McCrory, Donald Curry and Michael Watson. I mean, we can quibble about what happened at what weight etc, but the evidence shows that Hearns was vulnerable and that McCallum could be a killer. I don't understand how you can be so dismissive in light of such evidence. McCallum fights absolutely nothing like Benitez. McCallum would be coming for Hearns all night, walking him down, chopping away at the body, looking for the decisive head shot. I think it's perfectly reasonable to feel that, at some point, a great technician and powerful puncher like MM would find the punch that some of Hearns's other opponents also found against him.

I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion that MM KO's him, nor that anyone with a big punch would eventually stop Tommy, not at all. But I find your dismissive response a bit much, all things considered.
Good post.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #48
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
I think McCallum was a Kronk fighter at the time.
He broke with Kronk when Hearns got his shot at Duran.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #49
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I pick McCallum
Lord Tywin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum