Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #31
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the few, the proud, the Philippines
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 75
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

So he rejects Sonnen who needs to earn his shot.

What has Vitor done to earn his?

Although I am honestly intrigued by this match-up.

I would've preferred Hendo-Vitor 1st.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #32
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Ken Shamrock v Kimbo will be headlining a card at this rate. Dropping like flies here
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #33
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

This fight is a joke though the Sonnen fight wasn't much worse? Belfort can really cause trouble to Jones whether he gets knocked out early than not. Reach would've been an issue for either fighter but great replacement. Lets be honest, Jones is a big favorite against any fighter in lt hvy.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
This fight is a joke though the Sonnen fight wasn't much worse? Belfort can really cause trouble to Jones whether he gets knocked out early than not. Reach would've been an issue for either fighter but great replacement. Lets be honest, Jones is a big favorite against any fighter in lt hvy.
I think the fact Jones is so long and the fact Belfort has much better boxing fundamentals actually hurts Jones here , Belfort is particularly strong coming over or under the jab , Jones naturally paws with his jab and if he does so against Vitor he could get taken out

Belfort aint getting knocked out on the feet here

Edit; ive just went and watched Jones Machida , its hard to see Jones not controlling this fight on the feet , regardless of what i said above ive had a slight change of heart LOL , you have to give credit where its due , this kid is super talented , i think my hearts yellin Vitor knock him out

Last edited by thewinfella; 08-24-2012 at 11:56 AM.
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #35
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Terrible fight if true....Easy win for Jones. ufc's Lhw division needs more fighters.
boxingcar is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #36
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar View Post
Terrible fight if true....Easy win for Jones. ufc's Lhw division needs more fighters.
This seems to be the consensus reaction ?? im not sure why , Jones would be going over old ground with Shogun, Machida, Evans or Rampage, Henderson is out, Sonnen is slightly farcical given that he just got his ass handed to him (in iffy fashion ill add)

I think Jones Belfort on paper is brilliant myself

The problem at 205 is the upper tier are made up of older fighters who cannot beat Jon Jones and the middle tier arent that great , maybe barring Glover and Gustaffson , we'll see
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gaia
Posts: 1,210
vCash: 109
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Jon Jones ‏@jonjones

"haha! The UFC fighter Jon Jones backed out of a fight and now I'm getting flooded with horrible, cruel insults because people think I'm him. "

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"**** the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] worse than the jerry Sandusky mother ****er **** sucker"


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #38
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
This seems to be the consensus reaction ?? im not sure why , Jones would be going over old ground with Shogun, Machida, Evans or Rampage, Henderson is out, Sonnen is slightly farcical given that he just got his ass handed to him (in iffy fashion ill add)

I think Jones Belfort on paper is brilliant myself

The problem at 205 is the upper tier are made up of older fighters who cannot beat Jon Jones and the middle tier arent that great , maybe barring Glover and Gustaffson , we'll see
I was one of the rare poster who said that Shogun vs Jones was a terrible match for...SHOGUN. Even before jones was "jones". The only person who agreed with me at the time was Scurla (i think)...And maybe a bunch of others but the consus was shogun > Jones.

I was also right about the Werdum & Antonio fights (vs Fedor...)
Proof
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


What's my point ?....I'm not pretending to be nostradamus (his predictions were bullshit anyway) and i don't want a free candy or anything....But styles make fights.

Never forget that. There's a good reason why anderson is so dominant. or why Junior Dos santos , St Pierre , or any fighter...from any division...are so above the rest. The same goes with boxing , judo , greco , or any other sports.

None of them have a nemesis....They rarely do.

In Tennis , Federer has one in particular....Nadal (and Novak is also a problem for nadal)...But Nadal has a psychological advantage over Federer...And stylistically...he's a nightmare for Roger.

In MMA , Nogueira (in his prime)...had to deal with Fedor. (a nightmare on too many levels).

At the time i predicted Shogun was gonna have a hard time against Jones...Marc Coleman was in my mind. (he outwrestled Shogun on 2 occasions... And coleman wasn't even in his prime and even though he's a pretty strong fighter , he's one dimensional and his endurance is limited)...Jones was a tall version of Coleman...Only he also was a better striker and was endurant enough to last the distance...

Belfort is ****ed. Maybe he could win...But that would be a major upset...On par with Douglas vs Tyson
boxingcar is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #39
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar View Post
I was one of the rare poster who said that Shogun vs Jones was a terrible match for...SHOGUN. Even before jones was "jones". The only person who agreed with me at the time was Scurla (i think)...And maybe a bunch of others but the consus was shogun > Jones.

I was also right about the Werdum & Antonio fights (vs Fedor...)
Proof
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


What's my point ?....I'm not pretending to be nostradamus (his predictions were bullshit anyway) and i don't want a free candy or anything....But styles make fights.

Never forget that. There's a good reason why anderson is so dominant. or why Junior Dos santos , St Pierre , or any fighter...from any division...are so above the rest. The same goes with boxing , judo , greco , or any other sports.

None of them have a nemesis....They rarely do.

In Tennis , Federer has one in particular....Nadal (and Novak is also a problem for nadal)...But Nadal has a psychological advantage over Federer...And stylistically...he's a nightmare for Roger.

In MMA , Nogueira (in his prime)...had to deal with Fedor. (a nightmare on too many levels).

At the time i predicted Shogun was gonna have a hard time against Jones...Marc Coleman was in my mind. (he outwrestled Shogun on 2 occasions... And coleman wasn't even in his prime and even though he's a pretty strong fighter , he's one dimensional and his endurance is limited)...Jones was a tall version of Coleman...Only he also was a better striker and was endurant enough to last the distance...

Belfort is ****ed. Maybe he could win...But that would be a major upset...On par with Douglas vs Tyson
Calm down.

If Jones stands with Belfort, it's an exciting fight with at least a possibility of an upset.

And I assume Win is thinking that Jones will stand with Belfort, at least for some of the time, as he did with Rua and Machida.

OK, if Jones's gameplan is just relentless takedowns and GnP, then obviously Vitor is royally ****ed.

But, Jones likes to prove his skills standing it seems. If he fights like that this time, of course it's an exciting fight, because even though he'll probably still win by using his reach and his kicks and his unorthodoxy/variety, Belfort is a live dog with ANYONE in the world at 185 or 205 in a standup fight. Guy has big power and is a killer finisher.

What's not to be excited about here, unless you foresee Jones suddenly changing his style into a clone of Chael Sonnen?
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #40
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the few, the proud, the Philippines
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 75
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Anyone else think Jones would outstreching his arm forward the way he baited Rashad for the elbow.

But unlike Rashad who stayed stupidly idle, Vitor would instead duck under and rush forward with a barrage.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #41
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Calm down.

If Jones stands with Belfort, it's an exciting fight with at least a possibility of an upset.

And I assume Win is thinking that Jones will stand with Belfort, at least for some of the time, as he did with Rua and Machida.

OK, if Jones's gameplan is just relentless takedowns and GnP, then obviously Vitor is royally ****ed.

But, Jones likes to prove his skills standing it seems. If he fights like that this time, of course it's an exciting fight, because even though he'll probably still win by using his reach and his kicks and his unorthodoxy/variety, Belfort is a live dog with ANYONE in the world at 185 or 205 in a standup fight. Guy has big power and is a killer finisher.

What's not to be excited about here, unless you foresee Jones suddenly changing his style into a clone of Chael Sonnen?
I am calm. ....And i think anything is possible. Upsets can happen in any fight. And Jones is no exception. But realistically...Belfort is a terrible choice. I'm not saying he's a shit fighter or anything. But he's past his prime (but so is Henderson) , but Belfort's wrestling is inferior to Jones...He's still fast enough on his feet , but Belfort's gas tank + wrestling + jiujitsu...aren't anything special.

Vitor has a puncher's chance. I'm not hating on the guy or anything. But this guy (and especially at his stage in his career) is tailor made for Jones. Maybe Vitor can pull it off....And you guys can bump this thread after his victory. Still , Jones is more than likely to beat Belfort.I don't see this one going the distance.
boxingcar is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Julie Benz Island
Posts: 16,375
vCash: 9653
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
This fight is a lot more interesting than a Machida rematch.
No it's really not!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #43
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar View Post
I am calm. ....And i think anything is possible. Upsets can happen in any fight. And Jones is no exception. But realistically...Belfort is a terrible choice. I'm not saying he's a shit fighter or anything. But he's past his prime (but so is Henderson) , but Belfort's wrestling is inferior to Jones...He's still fast enough on his feet , but Belfort's gas tank + wrestling + jiujitsu...aren't anything special.

Vitor has a puncher's chance. I'm not hating on the guy or anything. But this guy (and especially at his stage in his career) is tailor made for Jones. Maybe Vitor can pull it off....And you guys can bump this thread after his victory. Still , Jones is more than likely to beat Belfort.I don't see this one going the distance.
Why would we bump this thread after the fight? No-one is saying Belfort will beat Jones. All we're saying is that if Jones fights like he has recently (ie, standing up for the majority of the fight) then it should be an exciting fight for as long as it lasts.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #44
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar View Post
I was one of the rare poster who said that Shogun vs Jones was a terrible match for...SHOGUN. Even before jones was "jones". The only person who agreed with me at the time was Scurla (i think)...And maybe a bunch of others but the consus was shogun > Jones.

I was also right about the Werdum & Antonio fights (vs Fedor...)
Proof
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


What's my point ?....I'm not pretending to be nostradamus (his predictions were bullshit anyway) and i don't want a free candy or anything....But styles make fights.

Never forget that. There's a good reason why anderson is so dominant. or why Junior Dos santos , St Pierre , or any fighter...from any division...are so above the rest. The same goes with boxing , judo , greco , or any other sports.

None of them have a nemesis....They rarely do.

In Tennis , Federer has one in particular....Nadal (and Novak is also a problem for nadal)...But Nadal has a psychological advantage over Federer...And stylistically...he's a nightmare for Roger.

In MMA , Nogueira (in his prime)...had to deal with Fedor. (a nightmare on too many levels).

At the time i predicted Shogun was gonna have a hard time against Jones...Marc Coleman was in my mind. (he outwrestled Shogun on 2 occasions... And coleman wasn't even in his prime and even though he's a pretty strong fighter , he's one dimensional and his endurance is limited)...Jones was a tall version of Coleman...Only he also was a better striker and was endurant enough to last the distance...

Belfort is ****ed. Maybe he could win...But that would be a major upset...On par with Douglas vs Tyson
Just checked the prediction league for the fight. It was 21-10 in favor of Shogun over Jones. I was shocked to see that, actually.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #45
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At The ESB VIP Table!
Posts: 12,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998 View Post
Just checked the prediction league for the fight. It was 21-10 in favor of Shogun over Jones. I was shocked to see that, actually.
It's because people were reluctant to let go of the "idea of shogun" in Pride. The dominant beast. It's not that he declined. It's that Jon Jones is just that good.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013