Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #91
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Ok I'll spell it out for you what boxincar means as it's quite obvious. A string of victories means you lose to guys you shouldn't lose to is the point Popkins. Over confidence breeds complacency

Matt Hughes v BJ Penn
Cro-Cop v Randleman/Gabe
GSP v Serra
Rampage v Forrest
Werdum v Fedor
Randy v Chuck 1

Some skilled guys in there but all of them I think each of those fights had a degree of complacency for the guy who was the favourite going in

And what boxingcars over all point is that with Jones not having a main rival to keep him on his A game, he will potentially lose to someone he shouldnt lose too...
Its pretty clear what you are saying.
An other example was Tyson and we all saw what happend in the fight against Buster Douglas
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #92
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
Its pretty clear what you are saying.
An other example was Tyson and we all saw what happend in the fight against Buster Douglas
Yeah winning was his enemy, so it would've been better if he'd lost earlier in his reign, then he'd probably have won that fight. Thoroughly constructive stuff here.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #93
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Yeah winning was his enemy, so it would've been better if he'd lost earlier in his reign, then he'd probably have won that fight. Thoroughly constructive stuff here.
He won people hyped him he started to believe his own hype and thus believed that he didnt need to take a challanger seriously thus not training seriously and lost to someone he shouldnt have lost to.
Its not rocket science
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #94
Peter__1987
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

any slight hope i had of Vitor winning this fight has already left after his ass kissing statement towards Jones.

Shame on you Vitor
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #95
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Yeah winning was his enemy, so it would've been better if he'd lost earlier in his reign, then he'd probably have won that fight. Thoroughly constructive stuff here.
Prime examples:
Bernard Hopkins
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Wladimir Klitschko
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And in mma , the first example that comes to mind is Anderson , then Fedor.
(anderson lost twice in japan and fedor once)...and that was before his ufc reign. However , that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't get used to the taste of victory.
Or that they're immuned to defeat. It can always happen.

Because as soon as champs get used to that "comfort zone" a bit too much...Then they're suseptible of getting caught again. (Unless they know when to quit.) Unless....their determination is ridiculous. (prime example , Rafael Nadal...I know it's in a different sport , but it should get the point across).

Of course ,what i'm saying only applies to great potentials (champ caliber) fighters. Not cans or gatekeepers. But in the champion's case. Too much "victory" can potentially soften their will and determination or motivation. And even when the motivation is still there , it can still be a problem if they start believing in their own hype a bit too much.

However! it's ok if the contender believes in the champ's hype...Because it gives the champ a psychological edge. An aura. Have you ever seen the look of fear in some of tyson's , Wanderlei's , Fedor's opponents ? (prior to their catastrophic loses).

After Buster Douglas....Tyson's opponents never had the same fear. Never looked at Tyson the same way again. Suddenly the guy became....human. and beatable. Maybe not all of them , but most of them knew that they weren't dealing with the same guy.

Wanderlei and his legendary "rolly little wrists"...and epic staredowns....After His fight with Mark Hunt...He never was the same. Not as wild as he used to be. Much more cautious. And his opponents weren't intiminated anymore. Then after his loss against Arona , and the final nail in the coffin...His Ko loss vs Crocop...The "axe murderer" never was the same after that...

And i also believe crocop was psycholocially devastated after his loss against fedor. (even though he won the gp belt after that loss). But even then...he wasn't the same anymore.
boxingcar is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #96
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Da Bafroom brah!
Posts: 2,192
vCash: 75
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

I think a lot of guys begin to believe in their own hype, the arrogance feeds confidence to the point that once they lose their arrogance they are no longer the same guy, nor are they viewed as the same guy.

Same thing happened with Machida more recently. He wasn't as arrogant as some, but after the first fight/ loss he came up with some odd bullshit about refs being right.. Not trying to beat up Machida, he seems to be a very humble and honest with himself as a man which is why I site him.
Koa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #97
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Jon Jones to face Vitor Belfort on Sept 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingcar View Post
Prime examples:
Bernard Hopkins
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Wladimir Klitschko
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And in mma , the first example that comes to mind is Anderson , then Fedor.
(anderson lost twice in japan and fedor once)...and that was before his ufc reign. However , that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't get used to the taste of victory.
Or that they're immuned to defeat. It can always happen.

Because as soon as champs get used to that "comfort zone" a bit too much...Then they're suseptible of getting caught again. (Unless they know when to quit.) Unless....their determination is ridiculous. (prime example , Rafael Nadal...I know it's in a different sport , but it should get the point across).

Of course ,what i'm saying only applies to great potentials (champ caliber) fighters. Not cans or gatekeepers. But in the champion's case. Too much "victory" can potentially soften their will and determination or motivation. And even when the motivation is still there , it can still be a problem if they start believing in their own hype a bit too much.

However! it's ok if the contender believes in the champ's hype...Because it gives the champ a psychological edge. An aura. Have you ever seen the look of fear in some of tyson's , Wanderlei's , Fedor's opponents ? (prior to their catastrophic loses).

After Buster Douglas....Tyson's opponents never had the same fear. Never looked at Tyson the same way again. Suddenly the guy became....human. and beatable. Maybe not all of them , but most of them knew that they weren't dealing with the same guy.

Wanderlei and his legendary "rolly little wrists"...and epic staredowns....After His fight with Mark Hunt...He never was the same. Not as wild as he used to be. Much more cautious. And his opponents weren't intiminated anymore. Then after his loss against Arona , and the final nail in the coffin...His Ko loss vs Crocop...The "axe murderer" never was the same after that...

And i also believe crocop was psycholocially devastated after his loss against fedor. (even though he won the gp belt after that loss). But even then...he wasn't the same anymore.
I don't quite agree with your theory boxingcar, but I do understand what you're saying now whereas I didn't before. Fair do's mate
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013