Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #31
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Anderson Silva have done against every LHW champion of his UFC reign?

But the thing you are forgetting is that Anderson is poor at defending strikes whilst on his back. Newton, Hendo, Sonnen all took advantage of this. He doesn't control posture and movement with his guard, he doesn't limit strikes by working for wrist control and he doesnt pose the type of threat with submissions that Rampage had already faced with the likes of Arona and Bustamante, two HIGH level BJJ guys.

Silva tapped Sonnen...Rampage pounded out Vovchanchyn and Chuck...

And if you dont think Page is a danger to Anderson in top control, despite being the bigger stronger guy in his natural weight class who's taken down Liddel (noted for his TDD), & Lindland (Olympic Silver Medallist in wrestling for ****s sake) then you must have been watching two different fighters than I have
Stoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: How would Anderson Silva have done against every LHW champion of his UFC reign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
But the thing you are forgetting is that Anderson is poor at defending strikes whilst on his back. Newton, Hendo, Sonnen all took advantage of this. He doesn't control posture and movement with his guard, he doesn't limit strikes by working for wrist control and he doesnt pose the type of threat with submissions that Rampage had already faced with the likes of Arona and Bustamante, two HIGH level BJJ guys.

Silva tapped Sonnen...Rampage pounded out Vovchanchyn and Chuck...

And if you dont think Page is a danger to Anderson in top control, despite being the bigger stronger guy in his natural weight class who's taken down Liddel (noted for his TDD), & Lindland (Olympic Silver Medallist in wrestling for ****s sake) then you must have been watching two different fighters than I have
Being a danger and being able to pound him out , are 2 very different things, if any wrestler with heavy hands scores a TD he's going to present a threat, in any circumstance in any weight class against any opponent, i just dont think the intangible's add up for Rampage, so much so that he can TD, control and finish Silva, thats just something as being a stretch for his skill set compared to Silva's

Then couple that with the heat he's gonna get on the feet and its a fight i see Rampage losing, by TKO

The weights not that much of an issue IMHO, Silva doesnt really have TDD per say, he uses his movement and offensive striking to defend TD's, which doesnt always workout but its pretty dam effective when it does

Then we have the lack of speed issue for Rampage, he is a slow LHW, when he's at his absolute peak of physical ability his reflexes and head movement go up ten fold to that of when he hasn't had the best of camps, but thats about it, its still not enough to off set Silva's dynamic movement, speed and accuracy

Rampage would be guessing too much on the feet to repeatedly take Anderson down and control him, he's a sitting duck, and Silva would hit him with a varied attack
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #33
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Silva got taken down by ankle picks in the same was James Toney did by Randy...twice...

If Rampage is getting out worked on the feet he's taking it to the mat, as he has done through out his career
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #34
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Silva got taken down by ankle picks in the same was James Toney did by Randy...twice...

If Rampage is getting out worked on the feet he's taking it to the mat, as he has done through out his career
That im not disagreeing with

Its what happens before and after that were on different pages about
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

6-1

The one belonging to Jones.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #36
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Stoo is making a compelling case here. Talking a lot of sense.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #37
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Anderson is a good fighter, but let's not all drink the ''He'd beat every last LHW Champ of the last 5 years'' Kool Aid. It has to be said he is in a relatively weak division compared to LHW. When's the last time a LHW Champ had a stay busy fight akin to Leites, Lutter or Cote?

Im starting to think Shogun would beat him when he had the belt...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #38
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Shogun is wild on his feet now that he's becoming older and more tired and more wreckless, but if you watch the first Machida-Shogun fight, Rua isn't wild at all. He's an excellent Muay Thai striker. If he fights like that, with his advantages in heavy-handed power, weight/strength, chin, and grappling/wrestling, that fight would be extremely dangerous for Anderson.
He definitely did look at his best technically in that fight, but I feel Silva is more equipped to seal with that style than Machida.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #39
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
He definitely did look at his best technically in that fight, but I feel Silva is more equipped to seal with that style than Machida.
I think that Shogun's leg kicks would be the difference against Silva. I think Silva would win the first round, assuming they stay standing, with by landing accurate punches. I think Silva's movement would be severely hampered by the 2nd round, and Shogun to start landing the more telling blows. I believe by the 3rd of 4th round, Shogun either drops or takes Anderson down and pounds him out.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #40
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

Silva TKO Liddell
Silva SUB Rampage
Silva KO Griffin
Silva TKO Rashad
Machida UD Silva
Silva TKO Shogun
Jones TKO Silva

5-2, in other words.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #41
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
He would made everyone his bitch and make them accept it
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And the go on to his victory dance

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #42
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan16 View Post
Silva TKO Liddell
Silva SUB Rampage
Silva KO Griffin
Silva TKO Rashad
Machida UD Silva
Silva TKO Shogun
Jones TKO Silva

5-2, in other words.
Pretty much exactly what I have. Except I have Shogun as a pick-'em fight. That's definitely the match I'd be most wary of betting on. If Shogun's gas tank holds up I could see him crowding Anderson and doing a lot more damage in the clinch and on the ground than Chael did.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #43
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

I think that Silva is the kind of guy that brings his A-game against A class opponents. He's a bit of an enigmatic sort of guy so its hard to know who turns up. I think if he'd been at LHW he'd have a few losses but would also have more impressive wins. Jones aside I'd have him as the favourite in all those fights but thats not to say I wouldn't expect him to lose one or more.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #44
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
I think that Silva is the kind of guy that brings his A-game against A class opponents. He's a bit of an enigmatic sort of guy so its hard to know who turns up. I think if he'd been at LHW he'd have a few losses but would also have more impressive wins. Jones aside I'd have him as the favourite in all those fights but thats not to say I wouldn't expect him to lose one or more.
Yeah, it's fair enough. When he really wants to fight, he's scary.

Like against Forrest. It's not like Forrest's punches were THAT bad. He's a huge LHW, he was aggressive, close to his prime, up for the fight, and he's a volume fighter. You'd expect at least one or two of his punches to land. But Anderson just stood right in front of him with his hands at his waist, and made a laughing stock out of the poor guy.

Same with Sonnen 2. Once Chael fell down, you just knew it was over as soon as that happened.

Add the epic Frankin beatings and even the in-cage arrogance and total disdain shown for good honest contenders, and it's tough to see anyone short of Jon Jones beating him really. What does UFC Anderson Silva being beaten even look like?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #45
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Yeah, it's fair enough. When he really wants to fight, he's scary.

Like against Forrest. It's not like Forrest's punches were THAT bad. He's a huge LHW, he was aggressive, close to his prime, up for the fight, and he's a volume fighter. You'd expect at least one or two of his punches to land. But Anderson just stood right in front of him with his hands at his waist, and made a laughing stock out of the poor guy.

Same with Sonnen 2. Once Chael fell down, you just knew it was over as soon as that happened.

Add the epic Frankin beatings and even the in-cage arrogance and total disdain shown for good honest contenders, and it's tough to see anyone short of Jon Jones beating him really. What does UFC Anderson Silva being beaten even look like?

**** yeah, when you see him against belfort, okami and the first few rounds with Maia he's terrifying. Even when Sonnen held him down and dominated him he didn't beat him up at all. We've seen what GSP getting beaten up looks like and Jones hasn't got that same air of a guy able to go from calm and relaxed to committing an act of extreme violence. **** I love silva.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum