Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #46
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: How would Anderson Silva have done against every LHW champion of his UFC reign?

I have to disagree with everyone picking Anderson over Liddell by TKO.

Prime Chuck had an iron chin and needed just one punch to turn the tide or end the fight.

The only time he was stopped was against Page who was a monster himself. And it was on the ground, not on their feet.

Anderson would beat Liddell, but he may have taken a decision victory at best.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #47
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: How would Anderson Silva have done against every LHW champion of his UFC reign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
**** yeah, when you see him against belfort, okami and the first few rounds with Maia he's terrifying. Even when Sonnen held him down and dominated him he didn't beat him up at all. We've seen what GSP getting beaten up looks like and Jones hasn't got that same air of a guy able to go from calm and relaxed to committing an act of extreme violence. **** I love silva.
Even when he's doing nothing, he's electrifying because you sense he can just flip a switch and end the fight at any time.

I had a mate of mine over to watch the Silva-Belfort PPV. He hadn't seen Silva before, and I talked him up as being the UFC's ATG. Before the start I told him "For the first minute or so, Silva will do nothing. He'll just be sizing the guy up. Then after awhile he'll start moving his hands around in patterns and darting around, and after that he'll strike and evade punches with his hands around his waist.

The fight started, and neither fighter did anything and the crowd booed. My friend looked skeptical, but I told him that the fight was coming. Then bang, sudden cartoon-style knockout. Instant new Anderson Silva fan, and now he's chipped in on four or five PPVs.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #48
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post

Prime Chuck had an iron chin and needed just one punch to turn the tide or end the fight.

The only time he was stopped was against Page who was a monster himself. And it was on the ground, not on their feet.

I did think about that. But honestly, I can see Liddell causing Silva to up his game. I see Silva being very patient, elusive and stinging Chuck with fast, accurate strikes only when he wants to engage. This might frustrate Chuck, and make him more wild, and that's not what you want to be against an in-the-zone Anderson Silva. You don't want to be on your feet with a bloody nose taking wild swings at that guy.

On the other hand, who knows. Liddell is a HOFer for a reason. It's not like it's impossible for him to land a huge bomb on the smaller man and that's the end right there.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #49
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:

Randy stopped him, after beating him up on the feet using basic boxing and pressing forward. Chuck was over confident that night
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #50
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
**** yeah, when you see him against belfort, okami and the first few rounds with Maia he's terrifying. Even when Sonnen held him down and dominated him he didn't beat him up at all. We've seen what GSP getting beaten up looks like and Jones hasn't got that same air of a guy able to go from calm and relaxed to committing an act of extreme violence. **** I love silva.
I agree with everything you said there except the part in red. I love Anderson too, and I don't really like Jones, but you must admit, Jones is one ultraviolent bastard. Dumping the unconscious body of my idol, Machida, and the way he brutally, brutally finished Shogun... I mean come on man. The guy is a bloodless assassin.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #51
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
I agree with everything you said there except the part in red. I love Anderson too, and I don't really like Jones, but you must admit, Jones is one ultraviolent bastard. Dumping the unconscious body of my idol, Machida, and the way he brutally, brutally finished Shogun... I mean come on man. The guy is a bloodless assassin.
I don't like the way that Jones throws low kicks to try and hyper-extend his opponent's knees.

I do like the way he goes for the kill, and obviously really enjoys mercilessly brutalizing an inferior opponent in front of millions of people.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #52
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:

Different levels of striker

Anderson being the much better striker of the two , during any point of there careers
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #53
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I don't like the way that Jones throws low kicks to try and hyper-extend his opponent's knees.

I do like the way he goes for the kill, and obviously really enjoys mercilessly brutalizing an inferior opponent in front of millions of people.

This is a good technique for a guy as long as Jones, it keeps the opponent guessing and sets them up for other strikes, Condit and Thiago Alves use a similar technique then immediately strike with there hands afterwards
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #54
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
This is a good technique for a guy as long as Jones, it keeps the opponent guessing and sets them up for other strikes, Condit and Thiago Alves use a similar technique then immediately strike with there hands afterwards
I know it's a good technique and keeps them from having confidence in the planting of their front leg. I just think it's cheap.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #55
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Even when he's doing nothing, he's electrifying because you sense he can just flip a switch and end the fight at any time.

I had a mate of mine over to watch the Silva-Belfort PPV. He hadn't seen Silva before, and I talked him up as being the UFC's ATG. Before the start I told him "For the first minute or so, Silva will do nothing. He'll just be sizing the guy up. Then after awhile he'll start moving his hands around in patterns and darting around, and after that he'll strike and evade punches with his hands around his waist.

The fight started, and neither fighter did anything and the crowd booed. My friend looked skeptical, but I told him that the fight was coming. Then bang, sudden cartoon-style knockout. Instant new Anderson Silva fan, and now he's chipped in on four or five PPVs.

Whenever I show someone Silva I say he'll start slow and when he starts throwing his hands about and moving his head crazily you know shits about to go down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
I don't think I made myself clear. I'm not saying that Jones isn't some ruthless mother****er and a killer. But there is always that sense with Silva he can do something which can end a fight. Look at the first 3 rounds with Maia he'll seem to be clowning then suddenly throw a kick that sweeps him off his feet. Jones looks like a fighter and acts like one, Silva is some normal guy with something inside him that when its let loose ruins someones day. Silva will let a guy cruise, let him feel like hes in control then suddenly make him look like an amateur. He's a force of nature, electricity in human form. He doesn't fight like anyone else I've ever seen, maia tries to take him down he gets out then walks away with disdain saying "get up". Even when he doesn't fight his opponent can't hurt him I feel privileged to get to watch this guy live.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The Belfort KO epitomises Silva for me. He's dancing around looking the worse of the two in the exchanges then stops goes on one leg and knocks his opponent out with a front kick.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSq0njFD3TU[/ame]
OWWWWW HE KICKED HIM IN THE FACE

(no homo)
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #56
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
I know it's a good technique and keeps them from having confidence in the planting of their front leg. I just think it's cheap.

Hmmm i have to disagree sorry
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #57
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I don't think I made myself clear. I'm not saying that Jones isn't some ruthless mother****er and a killer. But there is always that sense with Silva he can do something which can end a fight. Look at the first 3 rounds with Maia he'll seem to be clowning then suddenly throw a kick that sweeps him off his feet. Jones looks like a fighter and acts like one, Silva is some normal guy with something inside him that when its let loose ruins someones day. Silva will let a guy cruise, let him feel like hes in control then suddenly make him look like an amateur. He's a force of nature, electricity in human form. He doesn't fight like anyone else I've ever seen, maia tries to take him down he gets out then walks away with disdain saying "get up". Even when he doesn't fight his opponent can't hurt him I feel privileged to get to watch this guy live.

The Belfort KO epitomises Silva for me. He's dancing around looking the worse of the two in the exchanges then stops goes on one leg and knocks his opponent out with a front kick.
You could have just wrote he threw a front kick and it looked cool on TV
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #58
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
You could have just wrote he threw a front kick and it looked cool on TV
Oh stoo you negative nancy
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #59
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Oh stoo you negative nancy
It's not negative, I just think attaching a level of supernatural genius to a man who threw a front kick against a guy with a peek a boo boxing stance(Not dismissing it, was a great kod) is going over board and I havent read such hyperbole since Fedor was in his prime

Anderson is clearly above his peers in the striking in MMA, and I dont want it to seem like Im shitting on the guy or dont think he's a very talented striker. But he's makes the likes of Okami,Cote, Maia and Griffin look like amateurs in that department because that's exactly what they are. His reactions and timing are off the charts, he hits hard and has huge power

But I have no reason to believe he'd be as dominant against the more seasoned strikers at 205 as he has been against Chris ****in Leben. Evans, Rampage, Jones, Shogun can hall grapple when they want too as well I love me some Anderson, but get a grip fella.

There's a reason he wont go to 205 but is all ears about a fight with GSP...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #60
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
It's not negative, I just think attaching a level of supernatural genius to a man who threw a front kick against a guy with a peek a boo boxing stance(Not dismissing it, was a great kod) is going over board and I havent read such hyperbole since Fedor was in his prime

Anderson is clearly above his peers in the striking in MMA, and I dont want it to seem like Im shitting on the guy or dont think he's a very talented striker. But he's makes the likes of Okami,Cote, Maia and Griffin look like amateurs in that department because that's exactly what they are. His reactions and timing are off the charts, he hits hard and has huge power

But I have no reason to believe he'd be as dominant against the more seasoned strikers at 205 as he has been against Chris ****in Leben. Evans, Rampage, Jones, Shogun can hall grapple when they want too as well I love me some Anderson, but get a grip fella.

There's a reason he wont go to 205 but is all ears about a fight with GSP...
I agree with everything you say and said earlier that although I'd have him as favourite against a lot of those guys that I would also expect him to have a few losses and even if he didn't would have a lot more dangerous moments than he did against the weaker MW fighters. But there is something about Silva that just enthralls me, watching him makes me have an idea what it must have been like to watch a young Tyson. Was Tyson doing something that no one had seen before? No. He didn't invent a punch or a whole new style of fighting but there was something about him in the ring that gripped people. Silva is my Tyson.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum