Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Joe Calzaghe and super six

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco666 View Post
kessler gave calzaghe a hard fight if i remember right on the other hand kessler looked out his depth agains ward, he was getting ****ed up! lets be honest ward aint great to watch because he's akward and he spoils but he's special, he basically won it easy! imo he's jst too good for joe who struggles against spoiler/awkward type fighters anyway e.g. hopkins! then add wards skill on top of that. joe can match him with speed, and heart, it would defo go to points imo.

joe was the most awkward fighter around, and he beat a healthy kessler with two eyes, he didnt need to headbutt him into submission.

joe beats ward, joe can adapt, wards dirty tactics are all hes ever needed to win a fight.

anyway, sakio bika said joe had more skill than ward
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #32
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtone View Post
Slappy avoided almost every major threat in the division, choosing instead to stay at home and fight a collection of 2nd tier fighters. Lacy was his big win, and Lacy proved to be B-level fighter by losing every major fight he was in.

calzaghe reminds me of bute, a string of wins against no-hopers, and suddenly he's "world class".

hopkins refused to fight him back in 02, this was well documented, ottke refused to fight him and this was a fight joe wanted BAD, eubank told roy jones that calzaghe was too big a risk to fight.

Anyway? When was Bute ever the man in the division? Joe, carrying the WBO, beat Lacy for the IBF, then beat Kessler who was killing everyone for the WBA and WBC. Joe was THE MAN. so yeah, i think that does make him "world class". try elite
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #33
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtone View Post
Slappy avoided almost every major threat in the division, choosing instead to stay at home and fight a collection of 2nd tier fighters. Lacy was his big win, and Lacy proved to be B-level fighter by losing every major fight he was in.

calzaghe reminds me of bute, a string of wins against no-hopers, and suddenly he's "world class".
**** off. He was most definatly an under achiever but your taking the ****.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olu G. Rotimi View Post
Ward would beat Calzaghe. Not sure Calzaghe would beat Froch. I think it's a toss up either Calzaghe on points or Froch by knockout.

Yeah Calzaghe vs Froch would have been a real 50/50 one...

Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #35
knighty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
joe was the most awkward fighter around, and he beat a healthy kessler with two eyes, he didnt need to headbutt him into submission.

joe beats ward, joe can adapt, wards dirty tactics are all hes ever needed to win a fight.

anyway, sakio bika said joe had more skill than ward
yep i read that bika said that.
knighty is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
yep i read that bika said that.

bika said he was the most skilled fighter he ever fought, in fact its hard to remember a calzaghe opponent (who wasnt bitter hopkins) who didnt heap praise on his boxing skills.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #37
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Calzaghe was a strange fighter, he had the great ability to adapt but he was also vulnerable at times.

Supposedly according to Naazim Richardson,Ward could take guys out as a kid and he said he still can but when asked as a youngster why he goes to points he said ''because i choose to''.

Calzaghe wanted to pull out of the Lacy fight with the hand injury, it was his dad that convinced him he could it one handed. I do wonder if Joe lacked a little belief at times. Strange i know...
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #38
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Calzaghe was a strange fighter, he had the great ability to adapt but he was also vulnerable at times.

Supposedly according to Naazim Richardson,Ward could take guys out as a kid and he said he still can but when asked as a youngster why he goes to points he said ''because i choose to''.

Calzaghe wanted to pull out of the Lacy fight with the hand injury, it was his dad that convinced him he could it one handed. I do wonder if Joe lacked a little belief at times. Strange i know...
Ignoring me bud, need another fight for weekend please
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #39
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
Ignoring me bud, need another fight for weekend please
Aye? Ignoring?...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #40
matt007
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

Calzaghe do not lack belief at all, he is a supremely confident boxer. He was not 100% in a unification bout, the biggest fight since he beat eubank for the wbo belt. This is boxing we are talking about where the fists do the talking, unlike football even if one have a hand injury they can still play. Lacy is a strong puncher, if you only got one hand to fight him then u would most likely to lose. That was a massive risk to take, he pulled it off with ease because is he an elite boxer.
matt007 is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #41
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt007 View Post
Calzaghe do not lack belief at all, he is a supremely confident boxer. He was not 100% in a unification bout, the biggest fight since he beat eubank for the wbo belt. This is boxing we are talking about where the fists do the talking, unlike football even if one have a hand injury they can still play. Lacy is a strong puncher, if you only got one hand to fight him then u would most likely to lose. That was a massive risk to take, he pulled it off with ease because is he an elite boxer.
And only reason he pulled it off was because his dad told him Lacy was garbage and he could beat him with one hand. So he went ahead with the fight..

I'm not slagging Joe off as i was a fan of his as a fighter, Just putting forward my POV. I think he wasn't confident as he put across.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #42
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

BTW i'm at work L and i only log on Eastside at work, and i'm not adding another bout. Quality over quantity this week. Plus there's some bonus weeks coming.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #43
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
Aye? Ignoring?...
i put a request in with no answer
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #44
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Calzaghe did lack belief, Enzo basically said that he had to fight Lacy or he'd be remembered as a chicken.

It's in his book, read it!

He'd beat Froch, I'm quite convinced. Carl isn't disciplined enough to box him on the outside for 12 rounds, which would be his only way to win. An inside battle would be a no-no, he'd be dominated.... and he doesn't punch hard enough to knock Calzaghe out.

I could see Froch vs Calzaghe playing out similarly to Kessler vs Calzaghe, in that Froch gets a bit of a lead but can't cope with the adjustment and drops a clear decision.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #45
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Thanks BB, Thought so .

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum