Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550
Default First Fight questions

Hey guys I've been training since Late April, my coach says I'm almost ready for my first fight so I have some questions.

I've read all over the internet and from other fighters that the 3rd round your legs tend to go, has this happened to you guys who have fought?

everyone that i have sparred who is at my level I am faster then, but my problem is i can't keep that same speed the whole round without gassing. I'll start out throwing 4-6 combinations in the first minute, then 1-2s then jabs just to keep the guy off me but at this point i'm so shot that I am eating shots to the face. Do I need to step up my cardio? or should I change my tactics up and throw smaller combos.. the only issue with that is i get most of my shots off those big combinations.

In the first round of an amateur fight what would you guys do? Do I take the offensive and immediately go in after him or do i hold back and feel him out for a little?

Last edited by deadhead; 09-09-2012 at 06:53 PM.
deadhead is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
dinnynosher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: First Fight questions

your full of shit. Talking like your a fighter when its clear as **** that your not. Yeah mate, you just go ahead and throw your 5-6 punch combos you ****ing bellend... **** off
dinnynosher is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

im full of shit because i am telling you what i can do? I'm a smaller athletic guy (125), and use my speed to my advantage. throwing a 5-6 combo isn't hard to do in sparring people slower than you. I'm not saying ill be able to get away with that in a am match. You sir are an ass hole.

Never claimed to be a fighter, which is why i am on this forum asking for advice bud. Because i am naturally fast i am full of shit?
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 650

my first fight my legs started to give way after the first round because i ran around like mad, and being nervous made it worse.

since ur 125lbs , your opponent should be quite fast to, so make sure you adjust to his speed.

Also, cardio is very important, and work hard on it until you can ensure that you can go 3 rounds of fighting + nervousness at 80 - 90% workrate.

Pacing yourself is very crucial too. Don't go mad throwing 5-6 combos in the opening round. Throw them when it is necessary and when you see openings. Stick with the jab and straight right and control the pace of the fight.

goodluck and all the best !
markiepoop is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnynosher View Post
your full of shit. Talking like your a fighter when its clear as **** that your not. Yeah mate, you just go ahead and throw your 5-6 punch combos you ****ing bellend... **** off
i think thts unnecessary lol
markiepoop is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Guys get gassed for those two reasons, going too hard right off the bat, and not having the conditioning.

So yes, cardio (anaerobic exercise especially) is important. But equally important is learning to relax and stay loose. This surprisingly has a huge effect on your stamina.

It's hard to say what your strategy should be. I prefer to pace myself in the first round and get really aggressive in the 2nd and 3rd round and rely on my conditioning to beat the other guy. I'm not a big power puncher, so why give this guy a puncher's chance in the first round? I want to exploit my advantage which is in the later rounds.
However, does this work for everybody? No, cuz some opponents will take it to you in the first round, and if you don't get busy - you lose the first round. So ideally you want to make the first round into a "feeler" round, but sometimes you don't get that luxury. And the opposite could be true. You might have big power,. but lack stamina. In which case, you best try to stop your opponent early.

I'd say find out what your strengths are and try to exploit them to your advantage.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:

Cold!
det is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

dont throw your 5-6 combos with full strength - use first punches to open him up and then use more energy for throwing a bomb. Try to distribute your energy through the round, dont put all in half of a round, that might help you.
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
polowear28
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

1 - interval training will help you.

2 - how long are your rounds?
polowear28 is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I believe rounds are 3x2 for competition, I spar 3x3 or 5x2 depending on who it is or what mood our trainer is in or what i'm working on.

Right now I go to the gym I do stretches, 3x3 jump rope, 3x3 heavy bag, then I go to the pads for 3x3 this is when I start to really fatigue, I realize my shoulders start to get tired at the same time i start to run out of breath which i think all points to not enough oxygen.. 3x3 double end (I'm working on my left hook so i mainly practice that) I take a few minutes inbetween all this, and I'll throw in some free weight excercises and ab excercises inbetween routines.

How should I change up my routine so I can last longer without fatiguing?
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
I believe rounds are 3x2 for competition, I spar 3x3 or 5x2 depending on who it is or what mood our trainer is in or what i'm working on.

Right now I go to the gym I do stretches, 3x3 jump rope, 3x3 heavy bag, then I go to the pads for 3x3 this is when I start to really fatigue, I realize my shoulders start to get tired at the same time i start to run out of breath which i think all points to not enough oxygen.. 3x3 double end (I'm working on my left hook so i mainly practice that) I take a few minutes inbetween all this, and I'll throw in some free weight excercises and ab excercises inbetween routines.

How should I change up my routine so I can last longer without fatiguing?
stay relaxed while you work and make sure your breathing is right. If you're in doubt then pay attention and try and get yourself into the same routine
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
SugarRayRobin
Journeyman

vCash: 1055

Just relax! Also, go downstairs on the other guy, hit the fleshy part below his ribs, will slow him right down later on.
SugarRayRobin is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hah you know that reminds me of yesterday, well this new kid just started boxing so the coach had him chasing me around the ring trying to tag me. he's a little smaller then me.. but anyway the 3rd round i was allowed to throw 1 kind of punch the whole round while he could do whatever he wanted, i chose the left hook becaue I'm trying to work on it, but the foul protector he was wearing so was big on him it covered up to his rib cage so the only hook to the body i could get was on the ribs... first time i sparred a lesser opponent and it gave me a big confidence booster, I sparred my usual partner afterward for 2 rounds and i did better then ever. Still gassed toward the end though, i'm adding more sprints to my running days, I'm gonna see if that helps me.
deadhead is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
5-6 punch combinations are common as **** in amateur boxing, I very highly doubt the OP was implying that he could put them together like JMM by any means.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
5-6 punch combinations are common as **** in amateur boxing, I very highly doubt the OP was implying that he could put them together like JMM by any means.
Exactly, my punches are more about speed and touching the opponent, man I was I could put them together like Marquez.. Man is an animal.
deadhead is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing