brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Fighter..............

Firstly although I think it is one of the best boxing films I've seen (and I have seen alot, I currently have 83 'boxing films'), its not my favourite.

For me the final Rocky film is by far my favourite.

Its very moving, ties up the whole saga brilliantly, and I think its the best performance of Stallone's career; the fight itself is superbly filmed, and if anyone has seen the documentary on the making of the film you will see just how 'realistic' much of it was, Stallone even got knocked down for real and this made it into the final cut.

Likewise 'The Fighter' has a great making of documentary, and it was after watching it that I had a true appreciation of the film.

The lead actor (Mark Wahlberg) trained for literally years for the role, and I think he bears a striking resemblance to Mikey Ward, and this is very clear in the documentary in the scenes where he discusses the role with the 'real' Ward.

The makers of the film admit that they had to make some alterations to the story for dramatic purposes, but is clear that the two brothers were very much involved in its making.

As to the Gatti fights I agree that I too was a little surprised (and disappointed) when the film ended with the Neary fight; but the documentary explains that the Neary win was the most important one to his family and his local community, and although he went on to gain his legendary status fighting Gatti they said because he lost the last fight of the trilogy the makers didn't want to end the film in that way. They do mention the Gatti fights in the end credits, and there is also a short clip of the real life brothers discussing the film, it is remarkable how alike the actors were.

I like 'Raging Bull', but I've personally always thought it is a little over rated, and in my experience alot of people say its the best boxing film ever made without ever having watched it properly!
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If you want a great film about boxing try this.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Decy is online now  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

check out the hbo made films..

tyson and don king only in america. Pure entertainment.
JIM KELLY is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

I'm a big fan of 'The Great White Hope', a superb film about Jack Johnson (although it never mentions the name Jack Johnson) that has a young and trim James Earl Jones in the lead role.

There is a famous photo of James Earl Jones with Muhammad Ali from during the time it was a play (prior to it becoming a film), they are pretending to spar each other.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
Check_Hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
I'm not sure if this has already been a thread, I'll be surprised if it hasn't to be honest, but I just have to mention the film 'The Fighter'.

I actually bought it on Blu Ray in October last year but for one reason or another I only got round to watching it this morning, and I was simply blown away by it.

This is a boxing forum, and this is simply one of the best (arguably the best) boxing films ever made, and although I'm aware that most of the guys on here will have seen it I feel it is my duty to recommend it just in cas someone hasn't.

If by chance there is antone left out there who hasn't heard of the film it follows the career of Mickey Ward and his relationship with his family, specifically with his brother/trainer Dicky Eklund (a crazy character who once gave a prime Sugar Ray Leonard alot of problems).

The film is currently available on Amazon at a good price:

The DVD is 5.19:

Or the Blu Ray is 7.99:

The acting is superb, the actors themselves look and sound remarkably like the real thing; many of the people on the screen are playing themselves, for instance Mickey Wards trainer is played by the real man.

For me the highlight is when he goes to London to fight Shea Neary; the fight is so well filmed and the actor who plays Neary is spot on, they even got a guy who looks the spit of Mickey Vann to ref!

The fights are brilliantly filmed in video rather than digital, this give them a grainy look, making them look they did on TV, and they brilliantly edit in the commentary from the original HBO/ESPN/Showtime broadcasts with Foreman, Jones Jnr, Leonard, Lampley, Merchant etc.

Overall a really fantastic film and one every boxing fan should watch, if not own!

And watch out for the sisters, imagine living with that lot!!!!
Apart from the fact Nearys got a thick scouse accent, the fella in the film is Irish
Check_Hook is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #22
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check_Hook View Post
Apart from the fact Nearys got a thick scouse accent, the fella in the film is Irish
I noticed that!

Apart from that he did look alot like him thogh, and in the fight itself there were moments when you could hardly tell the difference.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #23
Broony
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Heard they were making a sequel for the Gatti fights
Broony is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broony View Post
Heard they were making a sequel for the Gatti fights
Aronofsky was interested in making the original and planned on using the gatti era/angle but studios rejected his vision..so his project, the wrestler was his main priority..he was also linked to the robocop project but again the studio rejected his ideas/vision.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM KELLY View Post
Aronofsky was interested in making the original and planned on using the gatti era/angle but studios rejected his vision..so his project, the wrestler was his main priority..he was also linked to the robocop project but again the studio rejected his ideas/vision.
The Wrestler is a beautifully written character study. I really enjoyed it. No surprise he stepped away from Robocop - it would have potentially been interesting and that can never do for a remake of such a smart original.

I really didn't like The Fighter much and hated the fighting itself. It felt cheap and it just followed the same pattern, while ignoring very important set-backs in Ward's career before he fought Neary.

Really, the interesting thing about Ward's career is his brother, Dickie.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032

Any streets of gold fans
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #27
JIM KELLY
Bullshyt Mr Han Man!
East Side VIP

Girl Fight was cool..i saw that at the NY film festival.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #28
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdempsey85 View Post
Any streets of gold fans
Great film!

I like just about anything Wesley Snipes does; I actually have the film on a 'Cinema Club' VHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM KELLY View Post
Girl Fight was cool..i saw that at the NY film festival.
Its another of those films I've got but haver never got around to watching, don't know why because I've heard its very good!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
byron87
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

dIGGSTOWN ALL THE WAY.
byron87 is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #30
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic