Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
JuxhinBox

vCash: 625
Default Minor questions

Hey guys, posted this question to a fitness instructor but he mainly bodybuilds so i thought getting different views of the situation might help, heres the message:

Hey vic, im really sorry if im disturbing you but this is quite important for me and couldn't think of anyone better than you to answer my question. Im a 16 year old boxer train everyday, very lean and fast. Im sorry if i keep it long but ill do my best to not beat around the bush. First of all, height. Im 1.73m tall and 62kg (Fighting weight, i walk around at 64-65kg). I wanted to ask averagely how much taller can i get? It is according to genetics im aware of that but in 5 years growth should i be able to hit 1.80? Main question is regarding toned legs. Im more of a boxer not a fighter, slick handspeed very self confident in the ring and today managed to see a really talented kid spar. Im an sportsman and when a person is better than me, i say it but i hate it. I will eventually be better than him but i need minor adjustments. Being light on your legs is crucial in my sport, my legs arent 'bulky' but i do believe they have what to lose. I don't want to build muscle on them but i wanna cut it down as much as possible. Generally what excercise should i be doing? Bike? Specific running? Swimming? Anything that could help in any way. I never lift weights, I train my muscles with plyometrics but im hoping you could still help.

Cheers,
Juxhin (Eugene)

Thanks in advance
JuxhinBox is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Minor questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuxhinBox View Post
Hey guys, posted this question to a fitness instructor but he mainly bodybuilds so i thought getting different views of the situation might help, heres the message:

Hey vic, im really sorry if im disturbing you but this is quite important for me and couldn't think of anyone better than you to answer my question. Im a 16 year old boxer train everyday, very lean and fast. Im sorry if i keep it long but ill do my best to not beat around the bush. First of all, height. Im 1.73m tall and 62kg (Fighting weight, i walk around at 64-65kg). I wanted to ask averagely how much taller can i get? It is according to genetics im aware of that but in 5 years growth should i be able to hit 1.80? Main question is regarding toned legs. Im more of a boxer not a fighter, slick handspeed very self confident in the ring and today managed to see a really talented kid spar. Im an sportsman and when a person is better than me, i say it but i hate it. I will eventually be better than him but i need minor adjustments. Being light on your legs is crucial in my sport, my legs arent 'bulky' but i do believe they have what to lose. I don't want to build muscle on them but i wanna cut it down as much as possible. Generally what excercise should i be doing? Bike? Specific running? Swimming? Anything that could help in any way. I never lift weights, I train my muscles with plyometrics but im hoping you could still help.

Cheers,
Juxhin (Eugene)

Thanks in advance
Being 'light on your legs' doesn't mean you need to have light legs.

If you think about it, your legs carry your upper body around. To your legs, your upper body is a load. The lighter the load, the the lighter you'll be on your feet. Or, the stronger your legs, the lighter the load you are carrying.

So, to be more 'light on your legs', it stands to reason that you want to strengthen your legs. This will invariably add a bit of muscle there too. But, you can concentrate on strength building rather than on adding mass.

Flexibility will also add to being light on your legs. The more your muscles and tendons can stretch, the more power they can generate without extra effort. Which is why you 'dip' before you jump. You're actually invoking a prestretch which will then help to make the muscles contract more forcefully.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233

You thinking about the wrong things. Strengthen your legs and mix it with plyos and jumproping
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
JuxhinBox

vCash: 625

Thanks for the replies guys, helped alot !
JuxhinBox is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing