Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 995
vCash: 1000
Default I feel MMA needs a massive change!

I've been a fan of this sport for about 10 years. i loved pride when it was the number 1 org in the world.

back then mma was interesting because there was little cross training. so we saw the best of each style. back then it was also dangerous for a ground fighter to go to the ground in fear he would get stomped out, soccer kicked or crushed with knees! a reason why i am for these strikes!
also pride had a 10 minute first round which as dan henderson said 'seperates the boys from the men'
and then 2, 5 minute rounds.


the 3 changed i would like to see in mma.

the number 1 change- fights need to be longer to be interesting, and so we can see the best of each guy. the reason is, mma has evovled so much, everyone cross trains, and alot of the guys simply shut each other out, neutralise what the other guy is trying to do and thus makes for a slow paced boring fight this is mainly because both guys are usually highly skilled.

i feel mma guys need longer rounds to work with since its alot harder to pull stuff off now than it was 10 years ago. alot of the fights only warm up after the 3rd round. something needs to change here.

2) soccer kicks, stomps, knees to downed opponents heads need to be allowed. why should it be dangerous only for the striker once the fight hits the floor?

3) the scoring of the fight needs to change. i feel if a fight is scored as one big unit, rather than rounds, it will be better imo. this may cause some bad decisions but so do other scoring systems.

thoughts?
Big N Bad is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

PRIDEs gone buddy....Its legend builds as this sport wanes...The UFC reigns supreme. 3 cheers for monopolization.... The only way this sport changes is if it winds back 10 years. Not gong to happen. MMA will fade back in obscurity..I guran-dam-tee it. And the blame will lay completely at the UFC's door. You want to corporatise sports that are in their infancy. This is the net result.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Battery Park
Posts: 7,731
vCash: 2203
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
PRIDEs gone buddy....Its legend builds as this sport wanes...The UFC reigns supreme. 3 cheers for monopolization.... The only way this sport changes is if it winds back 10 years. Not gong to happen. MMA will fade back in obscurity..I guran-dam-tee it. And the blame will lay completely at the UFC's door. You want to corporatise sports that are in their infancy. This is the net result.
This is the truth.
fatcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 4,063
vCash: 3450
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
PRIDEs gone buddy....Its legend builds as this sport wanes...The UFC reigns supreme. 3 cheers for monopolization.... The only way this sport changes is if it winds back 10 years. Not gong to happen. MMA will fade back in obscurity..I guran-dam-tee it. And the blame will lay completely at the UFC's door. You want to corporatise sports that are in their infancy. This is the net result.
How long do you think the UFC has before it's over? or will it be a slow bleeding process?
AJAX is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
How long do you think the UFC has before it's over? or will it be a slow bleeding process?
Who knows...I don't see the exponential growth the UFC had during the mid 2000's. And the Stars that were key during that era are now either retired or old. Problem is they're not being replaced. Competition is absolutely vital if MMA is going to stay relevant. Whilst the UFC i would expect will remain in some format as MMA is certainly going nowhere, the growth fans are expecting is a pipe dream. Something MUST change. If that means getting rid of Dana so be it. But the UFC cannot continue in its current format if it wants to be taken seriously as a main stream sport.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 995
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

i have the same feeling. mma has seen its peak and is on its way down. the UFC is a bit of a joke imo. same fighters fighting each other over and over again. boring
Big N Bad is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the few, the proud, the Philippines
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 75
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

How ironic, the top org is the one who will eventually shut the sport down.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post
How ironic, the top org is the one who will eventually shut the sport down.
The UFC done this to itself. This is what happens when you have a megalomaniac at the helm.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

I have a question about Knee to the head of a downed opponent. Unfortunatly I've never done any combat sport, for the moment, and I was thinking about this.

How is a knee to the head of a opponent could be more dangerous ( I.E: Charles Oliveira VS Nik Lentz) then the knee Chad Mendez got KOD with VS Aldo or the knee Shields got KOD with against Ellenberger ? Both guy were going for the shoot when there opponent hit then with a knee to the head....

Personnaly I don't see any difference...and since both guy were going for the shoot I think those were more violent then the knee Oliveira gave to Lentz.

Any thoughts on that ?
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the few, the proud, the Philippines
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 75
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne5ville14 View Post
I have a question about Knee to the head of a downed opponent. Unfortunatly I've never done any combat sport, for the moment, and I was thinking about this.

How is a knee to the head of a opponent could be more dangerous ( I.E: Charles Oliveira VS Nik Lentz) then the knee Chad Mendez got KOD with VS Aldo or the knee Shields got KOD with against Ellenberger ? Both guy were going for the shoot when there opponent hit then with a knee to the head....

Personnaly I don't see any difference...and since both guy were going for the shoot I think those were more violent then the knee Oliveira gave to Lentz.

Any thoughts on that ?
If anything, I think getting punched or elbowed on the face while on the ground with the head nowhere to go but take the full blunt is worse.

IMO, getting kneed on the ground, while on the thai clinch, or standing up seems to make no difference.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
notrighthere
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 44
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

At least change the grounded opponent rule, touching the ground with a hand should not be considered grounded.
notrighthere is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

UFC is a promotion MMA is a sport. Pride died and MMA continued. MMA is here to stay one way or another.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

I miss MMA fights in a ring, I like the cage too, but MMA in a ring was always very cool !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
PRIDEs gone buddy....Its legend builds as this sport wanes...The UFC reigns supreme. 3 cheers for monopolization.... The only way this sport changes is if it winds back 10 years. Not gong to happen. MMA will fade back in obscurity..I guran-dam-tee it. And the blame will lay completely at the UFC's door. You want to corporatise sports that are in their infancy. This is the net result.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: I feel MMA needs a massive change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N Bad View Post
I've been a fan of this sport for about 10 years. i loved pride when it was the number 1 org in the world.

back then mma was interesting because there was little cross training. so we saw the best of each style. back then it was also dangerous for a ground fighter to go to the ground in fear he would get stomped out, soccer kicked or crushed with knees! a reason why i am for these strikes!
also pride had a 10 minute first round which as dan henderson said 'seperates the boys from the men'
and then 2, 5 minute rounds.


the 3 changed i would like to see in mma.

the number 1 change- fights need to be longer to be interesting, and so we can see the best of each guy. the reason is, mma has evovled so much, everyone cross trains, and alot of the guys simply shut each other out, neutralise what the other guy is trying to do and thus makes for a slow paced boring fight this is mainly because both guys are usually highly skilled.

i feel mma guys need longer rounds to work with since its alot harder to pull stuff off now than it was 10 years ago. alot of the fights only warm up after the 3rd round. something needs to change here.

2) soccer kicks, stomps, knees to downed opponents heads need to be allowed. why should it be dangerous only for the striker once the fight hits the floor?

3) the scoring of the fight needs to change. i feel if a fight is scored as one big unit, rather than rounds, it will be better imo. this may cause some bad decisions but so do other scoring systems.

thoughts?
I'm not the biggest follower of "MMA", but am very aware of it. As far as I can see it's in no crisis, there seem to be more "MMA" gyms around in the west than Muay Thai or Kickboxing gyms these days. The grass roots level seems very large, very alive and very much kickin (or rolling depending). I'd say with so many grass roots gyms now the future of "MMA" is well established andshows it will only thrive when the fresh blood matures.

Way more people in the west seem to watch "MMA" over combat sports like K-1, Muay Thai etc, things look fine to me. It's moved on from the really excitng to watch but highly experimental sport you reminised about above. It's now an established pro structured sport with hard working elite athletes backed by some very wealthy and well organised orgaisations.

Maybe things have dipped abit form a couple of years ago but doesn't that happen to every sport? It'll obly come back stronger either with the UFC or some other new group. Look at what's happed in the kickboxing world K-1 has died but is trying to invent it's self as an organisation but strong new competitors to the scene like Glory are keeping the flame alive with great fight cards stacked with teh best fighters.

About extending 5 min rounds......

You clearly haven't worked the pads or bag with punches, kicks knees etc at an intense pace for 3 mins let alone 5 at combat speed. This would totally disadvantage strikers, I've often thought 5 mins is too long especially when the guys are both stand up guys, it makes for ugly loose striking after the 1st round.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013